1/32 F-14 - Tamiya or Trumpeter?

Hey all,

Okay, I'm mostly aware of the shortcomings from both manufacturers when it comes to these kits (all of the releases from Trumpeter included) but what I'd like to know from you is, when you get to the bottom of it, and if you have neither in your stash, which one would you go for, and why?

For the record, I've seen amazing builds from some of you here using both of these manufacturers and I know what's involved in terms of aftermarkets needs (for all kits). Since I'm contemplating building an F-14D some time in the near future I just wanted to know which one you'd go for.

For the sake of gathering opinions, I'd like to clarify that when it comes to the Tamiya F-14, I'm referring to the 'Black Nights' edition in comparison to those fairly 'new' releases by Trumpeter.

Thanks much!

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

I already have a ton of money invested in the Tamiya kits, resin cockpits, conversions, etc., and don't see anything on the Trumpeter kits that would make me want one of them instead. The recessed panel lines aren't a big deal to me, I have no interest in forward wings with dropped flaps, the intakes are hosed up from what people have said, and the kits have the typical poor or inappropriate weapons. Just my 2 cents.

I have wondered, having experienced first hand the shortcomings of the Trumpeter A-7E, massive as they are, whether the Trumpy F-14 kits were really worth the $200+ price tag. I have a Tamiya F-14 in my stash that I literally bought on the eve of the Trumpy Tomcat release. I also have about 4 of the old Revell kits in my stash but those are really of no consequence in this discussion. My own conclusion is that the jury is still out, until we see a tweak list for the Trumpeter kit, your guess is as good as mine. So is the devil you know better than the devil you don't?

Edited by Expat Tomcat

For me, it's the Trumpeter, hands down. Especially when you want to build a F-14D.

Out of the box, Trumpeter gives you 99% of a F-14D. With Tamiya you'd have to put in a lot of extra resin just to have a model that looks almost as good as the Trumpeter built OOB.

The Trumpeter has its faults, but it's a thoroughly modern kit. It's not any more expensive than a resin'd up Tamiya kit.

Just my 2 cents.

Terry

If you want a 1/32 F-14A like that offered by Tamiya, my personal preference is Tamiya. You just need a new cockpit, perhaps the color PE by Eduard, and You can build a very good model. The Trumpeter is the older version, the "Black Aces" Tamiya kit offers the last batch F-14A and a very good weapons suite.

I had the same doubt, and after see what each kit offers, I bougth the Tamiya exactly the "Black Aces".

;)

Trump for me on all fronts.

First the intakes are not that bad at all compared to the amount of noise being generated about them.

The instructions have the ramps reversed but the front view ie directly in front does have them out of parallel.

However the more accurate front end and much better than Tamiya far outweigh for me something that can only be seen if you squat down and look at it directly front on.

You can see the incorrectly profiled Tamiya front canopy from every view and also the slab sided fuse on the Tamiya kit as well.

Find it pretty funny that everyone has been happy with the Tamiya kit for years yet it has some accuracy issue's i didnt even know about until i started researching for problems with the Trump kit.

I've sold my Tamiya Felines without a hesitation..

Interesting topic! Having gotten a fair bit into the Tamiya Tomcat I have been wondering just how the new Trumpeter Tomcats compare to Tamiya's kit.

Trump for me on all fronts.

First the intakes are not that bad at all compared to the amount of noise being generated about them.

The instructions have the ramps reversed but the front view ie directly in front does have them out of parallel.

However the more accurate front end and much better than Tamiya far outweigh for me something that can only be seen if you squat down and look at it directly front on.

You can see the incorrectly profiled Tamiya front canopy from every view and also the slab sided fuse on the Tamiya kit as well.

Dehowie, your observations has made me curious about the outline issues with the Tamiya Tomcat and I will do a little checking myself.

Despite the many comments about the Trumpeter intake issues your input above regarding the overall shape is the first concrete observations I have read to this date. Great stuff! :thumbsup:

One thing I'd like to add (off the top off my head) is that the Trumpeter kits feature a better representation of the beavertail area (between the engine pods that is). Tamiya molds this integrally with the engines and it takes some work to correct this. (I have only seen the HB 1/48 scale F-14A up close and that kit is more correct in this area, having the beaver tail separated from the engines. I believe the HB kit in turn is a straight downscaled version of the Trumpeter 1/32nd scale Tomcat so I guess the same goes for those kits.)

Find it pretty funny that everyone has been happy with the Tamiya kit for years yet it has some accuracy issue's i didnt even know about until i started researching for problems with the Trump kit.

Agreed, one could argue that a dimensional issue which goes unnoticed until now can not be considered major, but I guess that could very well be because noone actually took a good look at this area before.

Either way I believe getting a good representation of a Tomcat in 1/32nd scale will include some extra work - regardless of which (Tamiya or Trumpeter) kit you start with. (For me the Revell kit is definately out from the start...)

But then I am not too knowledgable on the Tomcat so any input from those who have looked into this is most welcome. :)

Edited by Anders_Isaksson

Great question.. saves me from asking it myself.

I haven't done an F-14 in over 20 years and have sort of had my eye on doing another one sometime soon. The last one I did was the 1:48 monogram kit. I'd like to do an F-14A in full Jolly Rogers or Sundowners colours (no low-vis for these ones) complete with phoenix missiles. Something you would have seen around 1981-84.

I have the Trumpeter A7E kit and negative feedback on the kit notwithstanding (I have resin cockpit, canopy replacement, and intake replacement) I quite like the kit. It seems to be the second best kit I've built (the Academy F-18 being the best kit I've built in many years). So with that said, I had been leaning towards the Trumpeter F-14 kit, and now it seems that decision had been confirmed.

thanks

David

Edited by RiderFan

For me trumpeter waste the chance to make the best tomcat out there, that kit have a lot of mistake, inexistent rivets, and missing another ones... The intakes are really a Nightmare and the nose is bigger than Tamiya kit, maybe we need a better comparision on this area but...

It have a good points too... the weapons, and accesories...

The worst with Tamiya kit is the raised panel lines... But I think Tamiya have a better shape...

Both kits needs a lot of work to make it right...

Greetings and Luck...

For me trumpeter waste the chance to make the best tomcat out there, that kit have a lot of mistake, inexistent rivets, and missing another ones... The intakes are really a Nightmare and the nose is bigger than Tamiya kit, maybe we need a better comparision on this area but...

A quick comparison between the HB 1/48th Tomcat forward fuselage to the Hasegawa d:o showed them to be about equal in size and shape, with the base of the nose cone being about spot on between the two kits.

But I didn't use any calipers and it was a few months ago I made the comparison.

Maybe I am trying to deduce too much from to little here, but still... :unsure:

Not one of your choices: Revell 1/32 F-14A. I know, I know. Not the latest molding technology! In it's favor are decent fit, sturdy plastic, as accurate as any if you want an A. And price. After you bought this one, you would have the price of a nice dinner before you get into Tamiya/Trumpeter territory. I'm no pro but my Revell Tomcat got lots of praise at local IPMS meetings. It's long gone to plastic heaven, but I miss it. :thumbsup:

There may be some aftermarket but I can't get at it right now. Others here may know.

And, yes, I do build some of the upper-end Tamiya and Trumpeter models, too. Just wanted to put in a word for an oldie but goodie that's cheap by today's prices.

- IT comes down to YOUR preference. IF you want ALOT of work and have alot of money for resin plus Photo etch buy Tamiya. scribe your lines, i have been MENTAL enough to do this twice, and have two more of these stupid things to build, LOL. Admittedly they can look really good if you spend time with them.

- If you want something EASY but looks SWEEET, use a revel F-14, not quite so accurate in shape as tamiya, but has a good cockpit out of bix, recessed panel lines, and has 15 parts and looks great. But good luck finding one. I am building one now and will buy a third if i had the chance. Revell really did capture the ANIMAL look of the tomcat on this kit. Not only that, from memory, it actually fits together. If you can get a hold of some resin exhausts these do actually fit with little work if you would like to build a B.

- Trumpeter, bloody awesome. Intakes a bit screwed up but if you just build the thing it looks REALLY good, definately a modern kit and definately my choice if i had money, these days where i dont have as much time to rework a massive 1/32 tomcat. Especially if you are making a D.

Edited by benjo

Thanks all for the very nice and varied responses. And yes, I know that in the end it's my preference, but I wanted to see what people thought about either of then given the choice. Seems like it's hard picking a winner here. I'll think this over a bit more and see what I come up with.

Rob

One thing to remember is the Trump Tomcat is way way way way better value than the Tamiya kit..

So if you not interested in spending the equivalent price again and more for resin on the Tamiya kit the Trump kit represents far better value for money. It has a not bad cockpit unlike the Tamiya kit which is still a joke after 35years...not to mention the flaps.slats gun etc in the Trump kit.

Edited by dehowie