Near Perfect Raptor Coat???

I've just discovered something that I feel I HAVE TO share with you all.

See, once upon a time, I came across a WIP thread of a guy building 1/48 F-22 Raptor (can't remember his name, and can't find the thread no more). He used Citadel paints on his Raptor and I thought it looked absolutely realistic! Since then I've been quite curious about it. Luckily, I noted down the Citadel paints that he used, along with rough combination to reproduce the Raptor camo.

So... last weekend, I happened to walk past a puzzle shop (called "Mind Games", for fellow Aussies) that sells a whole bunch of Games Workshop products, including Citadel paints. Walked in, picked up Chainmail, Boltgun Metal, and Codex Grey. One that I forgot to get was Chaos Black, but I think it'll be easy to replace that from LifeColor range anyway. I was quite taken aback by how expensive the Citadel paint is! They cost almost double Gunze's and Tamiya's, and almost 4 times as much as LifeColor!!

A couple of days ago, I decided to try the "light grey metallic" mixture by mixing 3 parts Chainmail and 1 part Codex Grey. I thinned it with distilled water at 1:1 ratio, then airbrushed over an Italeri F-22 that I'm rebuilding. I am absolutely astounded by the result!!! :jaw-dropping:

IMG_3351.jpg

I'm absolutely amazed by how fine the pigment on their metallic range is! Now I understand why they're so expensive!!

Now that I know how good Citadel metallic range is, I think I will stop using Mr Metal Color. :whistle:

It wasn't this one of mine you were looking for was it?

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=214334&st=0&p=2035777entry2035777

Forgive my lack of modesty ( :lol: ), but I havn't seen too many other builds using Citadel colours.

Ben

Edited by OriginalMonty

It wasn't this one of mine you were looking for was it?

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=214334&st=0&p=2035777entry2035777

Forgive my lack of modesty ( :lol: ), but I havn't seen too many other builds using Citadel colours.

Ben

HEY! THAT'S IT!! :lol: Dude, it was after seeing your work that ignited my desire to make another attempt to reproduce Raptor's tricky coat! :thumbsup:

How did you find them to airbrush?

I sprayed the white and it seemed to clog the brush or be too thin. Tried it a few times and had no luck at all

I have only tried spraying their metallic range. I didn't find that much trouble. Then again, I find spraying white is always problematic for me, be it Tamiya, Gunze, or LifeColor. So, it could just be the white.... Last night, I sprayed gloss white (tinted with blue, to make it brighter) for missile tip, and then had to spend at least 10 minutes cleaning up. Annoying! :bandhead2:

How did you find them to airbrush?

I sprayed the white and it seemed to clog the brush or be too thin. Tried it a few times and had no luck at all

I spray Citadel all the time.....one of my favorite paints to work with, especially their metallics. To successfully spray them, I only use Tamiya thinner (not their lacquer thinner). I generally use 75% thinner, and 25% paint, then adjust as needed. Clean the airbrush with the same thinner.

I don't generally prime, but for metallics, I'll lay down some gloss black to serve as a base.

Excellent finish on the Raptor. The owner of my LHS built one recently. He used ordinary MM paints but then sprayed a light coat of Alclad II Pale Gold Transparent Lacquer over it. It sounds strange, but it, too, captured that unique F-22 sheen.

Aaron

Excellent finish on the Raptor. The owner of my LHS built one recently. He used ordinary MM paints but then sprayed a light coat of Alclad II Pale Gold Transparent Lacquer over it. It sounds strange, but it, too, captured that unique F-22 sheen.

Aaron

It doesn't sound strange at all. I think that might be the easier way to get the sheen. In fact, that gave me another idea: use Citadel Chainmail to tint LifeColor satin/matt clear then spray over "normal" coloured Raptor....

It doesn't sound strange at all. I think that might be the easier way to get the sheen. In fact, that gave me another idea: use Citadel Chainmail to tint LifeColor satin/matt clear then spray over "normal" coloured Raptor....

That sounds like a good idea too. The possibilites are endless!

I've never used either Citadel or LifeColor. I'll have to give them a try. You mentioned earlier in the thread about White being difficult to apply. It was always the same for me, but I have found that Floquil Railroad Color White enamel works great.

BTW, which kit is your Raptor and how was the build?

That sounds like a good idea too. The possibilites are endless!

I've done something similar on my Revell Raptor in the past, except that I used Tamiya gloss clear tinted with chrome silver. The result wasn't really that good (see the pics here: http://s742.photobucket.com/albums/xx69/mchoo2005/Revell%20Raptor%20no%201/). The metallic sheen was hardly noticeable at all. One of these days I might try the same trick using Citadel's metallic.

I've never used either Citadel or LifeColor. I'll have to give them a try.

One of the best things about LifeColor is it's so easy to clean up the airbrush. All I have to do is shoot a cupful (or two) of water through the AB, and some "blow back", and that's it. Thinning is also quite easy and cheap: just use distilled water.

One warning: DO NOT use their metallic range. I bought their Matt Natural Metal (supposedly aluminum) and found that it's ABSOLUTELY USELESS!

BTW, which kit is your Raptor and how was the build?

This is a "rebuild" of my old Italeri 1/72 (you can see the "before" pics next to the Revell Raptor in my album above). I built it rather poorly, so I decided to "recycle" it by using it as an experiment subject. Here's the WIP thread for the rebuild.

Hi Mike:

So...what did you use for the other gray metallic? I plan to order the Citadel paints.

Rick in Maine

A couple of days ago, I decided to try the "light grey metallic" mixture by mixing 3 parts Chainmail and 1 part Codex Grey. I thinned it with distilled water at 1:1 ratio, then airbrushed over an Italeri F-22 that I'm rebuilding. I am absolutely astounded by the result!!!

Hi Mike:

So...what did you use for the other gray metallic? I plan to order the Citadel paints.

Rick in Maine

Hey Rick... I haven't got the chance to try the darker grey yet. But based on OriginalMonty, it should be Codex Grey + Boltgun Metal + Chaos Black. He gave me the approximate ratio at 20% + 70+ + 10%, respectively.