Jolly Rogers F9F-2 Panther

Utilising the only photo I could find of a DS blue Jolly Rogers Pather from the Al Mansur Jolly Rogers site http://www.almansur.com/jollyrogers/jollyrogers.htm I managed to reproduce this 1/48 Trumpeter kit to represent the same aircraft whilst with VF-61 by this stage possibly on the USS Midway in 1950-1953. I searched high and low for other pics of Blue JR Panthers but all I came back with was the first image below and a heap of NMF pics of the Pather before being painted DSB. The build is OOB and went together like a Tamiya shake and bake kit. I used the kit decals and generic Aero Master numbers to make up the '209's. The star on the nose is stencilled using Tamiya tape in two sittings (first the big star followed by the inner smaller star). The only thing I am still contemplating is adding a harness to the seat, the rockets (if I can work out what colour they were) and perhaps a light panel line wash. I started this over the Easter break finishing it tonight thinking it would require heaps of work but this is a really nice kit which includes a PE instrument panel. It's another build for my son Chris' collection of all things JR whilst he finishes off his F4U-1 Corsair of VF-17 that he started whilst we were away at easter. I hope you like the Panther and when Chris is done with his Corsair I'll load some photos of his work on that.

f9f2jolly-1.jpg

DSC05020.jpg

DSC05021.jpg

DSC05022.jpg

DSC05023.jpg

DSC05024.jpg

Regards

Andrew :cop:

• 7 years later...

Careful....From my reading of that picture I would say the intake and wing leading edges are silver (natural Metal) like the tips of the wing tanks, not white like he painted them......