Ok so this may be a rant more then anything else but it's kinda driving me nuts when some one post some beautiful pictures of their build and they put in the description.

"built OOB exept for black box cockpit, aires wheel wells, Sac landing gear, eduard brasin wheels and external photo etch"

In my book that's not OOB :(

When did this change?

And another thing....It's not STANG!!!! (sorry couldn't resist)

Seriously though, unless you're competing against them or something, does it really matter what they call their build? Besides, I can't ever recall seeing someone post a build with THAT many aftermarket items and say it was mostly oob. Not saying it hasn't happened, but enough to drive someone nuts? This subject has come up before so obviously you're not the only person it bothers though.

I've tried building a model in the box and it didn't turn out too well, so all of mine of out of the box. :whistle:

Bill

Quite a few times at the shows around here. 'OOB except for Eduard PE.', 'OOB except for resin wheel wells, and intakes.'

It is a simple rule. You can only use what's in the box, with the only 'legal' exception being alternate decals. It was meant to level the price tag playing field.

If you want PE and all sorts of extras, just buy the Eduard Profi-Pack stuff or a Wingnut kit. Compete with that. But to try and cheat for a BOOB, makes you a boob.

Ok so this may be a rant more then anything else but it's kinda driving me nuts when some one post some beautiful pictures of their build and they put in the description.

"built OOB exept for black box cockpit, aires wheel wells, Sac landing gear, eduard brasin wheels and external photo etch"

In my book that's not OOB :(

When did this change?

That is why they wrote the word "except" then.

Hey Pep,

I agree entirely with your sentiments and would rather not read "out of the box" unless it is built only using the original box contents but, it occurs to me that these guys may not know how to express things any other way.

As others have pointed out everything is eventually out of the box, even many aftermarket components, so technically the phrase is correct but like you, I'd prefer to see folk just write "built using {~insert whatever aftermarket was added here~}......." instead.

(Mind you, when all of this is put into perspective, is it really worth getting wound up about?) :mellow:

Enjoy your modelling.

Cheers.

:cheers:

:whistle:

It is rather funny.

Jennings asked the exact same question a few months ago, which generated a lively discussion.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=221764

...And on that thread I said MINE model WOULD win HANDS down..As I used nothing except what was IN THE BOX

that had the model in...THAT WAS OOB .. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

PEOPLE SAY THAT they are going to build a OOB then start modifying it and adding PE and accessories to out do the other models that they have seen.. or because they want it looking more detailed so they add things other than what cae in the BOX !! :whistle:

Yep some people do get het up for nothing...

Edited by HOLMES

True Wayne, but isn't everything with A/M OOB except... The OOB is redundant.

In a way I guess The OOB is helping to clarify the model is close to the way it was produced, only other parts used were such and such.

Instance, In the same way as: Stock chevelle 454 SS except for a K&N filter and mufflers.

Using the word Stock is clarifying the only none stock parts used are the filter and mufflers.

If a person wrote, modified chevelle 454 SS with a K&N filter and mufflers.

Using the word or words "with or only with" is not necessarily clarifying what modified is.

I'm not seeing what the big deal is.

If it's a model for a contest then yes, OOB means just that with no exceptions.

For the purposes of posting models on the forums I can see where "OOB except for x and y" just makes it easier to describe what was done to the model.

I just looked at the other thread using the link in the post above, then came back to this one - Deja Vue ...

Edited by MikeC

I'm not seeing what the big deal is.

If it's a model for a contest then yes, OOB means just that with no exceptions.

Funny thing is, some people are ok with using the term like some model contest rules have it, even tho aftermarket and elaborate modifications are done to stock parts, I find that strange.

Really, that is like having a Peeve against a guy because he wrote "my Camaro is stock except for 100shot of nitrous"

Then peeving over the term stock using Nascar rules of a stock car since Nascar states in the rules No nitrous.

Mind people here, the person never wrote the model was OOB in the first place. The writing with the word "except" would lead me to think it would be OOB if the parts after the word "except" were not used.

Edited by Wayne S

I don't enter competitions, so I have no interest in the 'rules' of OOB. I do think you shouldn't call a build OOB if you use specific aftermarket enhancements. Using generic stuff, like wire and bits of plastic to scratchbuild is still OOB as far as I'm concerned, i put these extra bits in the same category as glue, filler and paint and other stuff we consume to build a model.

I do get why it annoys you to read OOB, followed by a lot of add-on after market stuff. My only advice to you would be to let it go, be zen about it, and don't get your blood pressure to go up because of this sort of futility. It's really not worth it... :D (I've converted to the 'Don't get our pants in a twist over things you can't change' attitude a few years ago, and it's the best thing I ever did)

I wonder if people write things like "built OOB except $100+ dollars in aftermarket" because they assume more people use more aftermarket stuff. Actually, I suspect that even among modelers who participate in web forums anywhere on the 'net, their use of aftermarket collectively is probably quite small. If not, aftermarket would be cheaper, and even more widely available in injection-molded styrene, like lots of model railroad aftermarket kits are in the United States.

As an IPMS RC, a Line Judge and a Chief Judge, I get this phrase on entry forms a metric butt load of times. So one day I asked a couple guys. They basically said they meant that they didn't alter the Kit Plastic in any way. In other words, they didn't cut and reposition the control surfaces, they didn't alter the fuselage geometry or open any panels. They simply replaced kit parts with after market parts. They weren't trying to claim it was an OOB build. They just wanted the judges to know that the plastic itself was as found in the kit.

Not sure if that makes any sense but it is a round about explanation :blink:

Doc

{~snippety~} They basically said they meant that they didn't alter the Kit Plastic in any way. In other words, they didn't cut and reposition the control surfaces, they didn't alter the fuselage geometry or open any panels. They simply replaced kit parts with after market parts.

Doc

Wow! A light bulb just clicked on in my head.

Thanks for that Doc, I think I understand and will look at this phrase differently from now on. :thumbsup: Great explanation. :salute:

As an IPMS RC, a Line Judge and a Chief Judge, I get this phrase on entry forms a metric butt load of times. So one day I asked a couple guys. They basically said they meant that they didn't alter the Kit Plastic in any way. In other words, they didn't cut and reposition the control surfaces, they didn't alter the fuselage geometry or open any panels. They simply replaced kit parts with after market parts. They weren't trying to claim it was an OOB build. They just wanted the judges to know that the plastic itself was as found in the kit.

Not sure if that makes any sense but it is a round about explanation :blink:

Doc

in all those OOB rant threads, it's the most instructive comment read yet! that really make sense!

I don't see a big deal. I think when someone writes that it's out of the box except for "X" part, all they're really saying is just that! With the exception of "X" part...everything else about the model came from the box. It's just a shorter way of saying, I added "X" part and the rest of the model was built with only the kit parts. No big deal.

True Terry. BTW, i am now sitting except i am standing ;)

The point of not altering the plastic is an interesting one. I'd not thought of heard that before, but it makes sense. Probably would be easier if one thing didn't mean two things though.

Edited by Ruud

So...what happens if you damage the canopy and order a replacement from the manufacturer? Technically speaking that replacement canopy did not come in your kit box. :lol:

One big issue here is plenty of people are not IPMS members and have no clue that there are IPMS definitions for what is OOB. If these people don't know the official IPMS definitions then they are basically coming up with their own defination....which will vary wildly across cultures and modelling topics.

And finally.....I'm assuming you could take the left over sprues and melt them down and scratchbuild detail parts and still have the model considered OOB? Now if the above replacement canopy is permitted and that model is still considered OOB......then could you take left over sprues from other identical kits and make parts and still have you model considered officially OOB?

It's all quite interesting to ponder.

according to the IPMS rule book your not supposed to do any major surgery if your doing OOB.

I'm not a big fan of ipms rules but i think they got it right. otherwise one would be able to

drop the flaps, melt down left-over sprues and scratch build what ever, mind you that takes

greats skills but its not OOB. when i think OOB i think "I followed the instructions"

maybe not in the order steps are suggested, we all know who wrong that could be, but i think that's kinda the point.

decals is an other story and totally understandable thought.

i just really have a big respect for those who build a nice kit oob, hell

i love seeing OOB kits place on contests so lets just use the term for whats its

intended to describe.