Need some help from my English "cousins"...

Okay so here's the deal, I've recently been watching a British TV program (Wire in the Blood) and the lower level detectives seem to always refer to their boss as "Guv".....not sure if I even spelled that right.. ANYWAY I was just wondering if any of you English lads could shed some light for me on the usage of this word.

Thanks!!

Tim...in the U.S. of A.

Okay so here's the deal, I've recently been watching a British TV program (Wire in the Blood) and the lower level detectives seem to always refer to their boss as "Guv".....not sure if I even spelled that right.. ANYWAY I was just wondering if any of you English lads could shed some light for me on the usage of this word.

Thanks!!

Tim...in the U.S. of A.

As Pete said it is short/slang for Governor and WE usually use it for example the DETECTIVE CHIEF INSPECTOR ..instead caling him "SIR" all the time he will accept "Yes Guv! " { Of course WE do show him the respect he deserves as he has "Pips " when talking to him in front of another higher ranking officer as you dont want to be reprimanded by that officer ! WE Then would use the correct form of SIR !!}

Sergeant gets SARGE, Inspector usually gets yes BOSS or Yes Guv..

:salute:

P.S The women in high ranking roles get a Ma'am... and againitt depends on the high ranking woman Ofiicer's attitude towards the team and if she shows she does not mind, then she gets called YES GUV and BOSS too... some are quite stuffy ..lol!!!

Edited by HOLMES

It is curious, the use of "Governor" as slang. I'm guessing it dates at least to the nineteenth century, possibly earlier. I don't know if there was an official office of "governor" anywhere in the British Isles themselves, but the term was used for colonial governors since I think the 1600s. Yes, Governor William Berkeley of Virginia, or Governor Johnathan Winthrop of Massachusetts.

It is a Standard Englsih -form of address for the head of DETECTIVES used by the members of that team { and not by any other officer} it equals SIR.{ often Uniformed Officers who goes to seek advice from the HEAD OF THE DETECTIVES..who usually hold the rank of DETECTIVE INSPECTOR OR DETECTIVE CHIEF INSPECTOR . or detective superintendent, or CH. SUPT OF CID , they always say and call him SIR...}

You find the the expression is more used by the more laddish type of Police man.

You hear that more in urban /provincial police forces..

you rarely call a woman in charge of Detectives GUV OR BOSS unless she is happy with it ..usually they get MA'AM { Pronounced MARM !!}

HOLMES :thumbsup:

It is curious, the use of "Governor" as slang.

Not if yer from Lunnon it ain't!

It may be addressed to a variety of people. For instance a supervisor or employer:

'Is that report done?'

'Yes guv'.

To a mate:

'Coming dahn the pub?'

'Yes guv'.

To a stranger:

'Can you tell where the post office is?'

'Course I can guv'.

Etc etc.

peebeep

Marrer it is fella, or was where I grew up (Nottinghamshire) I'm a furriner here in Nuffuk. :whistle:

Hence being perplexed when I moved here and someone was talking about the swarm of bisheebarneybees :thumbsup:

Now s'cuse me while I go gerra brew and ayuz snap :thumbsup:

Matt

Thats what we did, when our boy was born we didn't fancy bringing him up in Nottingham so moved here, its a lot quieter, a lot slower and more chilled out. Nothing happens in a hurry, but it doesn't matter after a while.

I'll be moving to some rural idyll whenever I get the chance, I much prefer living in the middle of nowhere with no neighbours.

Joking aside, tis a lovely place to live, got the beach about 30 seconds in front and a load of rural nothing behind.

Well if you ever visit Cromer again, give me a shout, I'm smack in the middle of it.

The church is amazing, I keep meaning to go and have a prowl round with a sketch book, some of the gargoyles up at the top are really interesting.

If you have a look around the church you should find a memorial window to the Barclay family. Squadron Leader George Barclay was a BoB fighter pilot with 249 Squadron, later he commanded 238 Squadron in North Africa where he was shot down and killed. His brother was in the army had was also killed during WWII. His father was vicar at Cromer and writes very movingly in the book Angels 22 about administering communion to his family, it being the last time that he saw his sons alive.

peebeep

Edited by peebeep

If its open tomorrow I'll go an have a look, interesting and moving story. Not read Angels 22, worth a read by the sound of it, is it still in print do you know?