Advert problems

Steve,

I've had extreme problems on here when trying to do anything.

The cause is the Google Chrome advert that appears at time.

I get a warning message about it having problems with Adobe movies? and that it will cause my system to lockup /REALLY slow down. If it continues, then I may not be able to visit ARC.

It can take me some minutes to just manage to kill off the bowser sessions.

I'm using an older version of Mozilla Firefox on a Win XP Pro system.

If the answer is to upgrade the browser, then that is NOT an option.

If the answer is to install a popup? blocker, then that too is NOT an option, as they want an upgraded version of the broswer. Trying to install one crashed some critical applications for me, which caused a lot of problems.

I know that it's not a virus / malware problem, ( unless there is one on the ad server ) and I've done scanner upgrades etc.

Is it possible to you to exclude that one particular advert ?

I've no objections with you having other adverts on here.

Regards,

Gerard

Can you right click on the ad and select "copy shortcut" and place the URL in this thread. I can block it if I have the URL for the ad. Becasue I'm in Canada, I don't always see the same ads as other people.

Steve,

I can't do a right click and find that. It just brings up movie player settings, and not any URL stuff.

The advert is a movie, so it brings up the Abobe player stuff.

I can try to get you a few screen prints of what it all looks like, if that would help.

Regards,

Gerard

Steve,

I can't do a right click and find that. It just brings up movie player settings, and not any URL stuff.

The advert is a movie, so it brings up the Abobe player stuff.

I can try to get you a few screen prints of what it all looks like, if that would help.

Regards,

Gerard

It's got even worse tonight, takes me 10 or 15 minutes to do anything.

I've no idea how to find the www for the advert, just that it's Google Chrome, and plays an Adobe movie.

Got some coloured blocks, and then moving grey digital sort of blocks.

I get this warning message.....

Adobe Flash Player 10

"A script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash Player 10 to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script ? "

It takes a few minutes of a locked up computer before that appears, and choosing Yes normally helps.

I only get that with the Google Chrome adverts.

Also in a Google Chrome advert.....

"Illegal Operation in Plug-In" Shockwave Flash The plug-in has performed an illegal operation. You are sgtrongly advised to restart Firefox.

I've no problems with adverts, even animated, ( if not flash etc,) and no more Adobe flash player using types.

Right now I view it as similar to a virus / malware, even though it's technically not.

I'll check back tomorrow, maybe. Unless I give up on ARC after many years.

Regards,

Gerard

IIRC, you can configure Firefox to disable flash scripts in the "tools - options - applications" tab so that Firefox will not allow Flash/Adobe to run within a Firefox window.

Otherwise, it might be worth upgrading Firefox, I am running 3.6.16 which seems more stable in running applications than earlier versions.

However, I don't get much in the way of adverts here, I'm not sure how "international" the adverts are, but I only get a small "ads by google" box above the page.

HTH

Matt

Matt,

I don't have the Applications option when I go where you said. I've looked round, can't find anything that seems to help. I'm on v2.0.0.7. which works fine for, until 3.x where 2 critical applications / WWW wouldn't work. So upgrading is not an option.

I still can't see why they need to make such fancy adverts anyway.

Regards,

Gerard

I have that ad right now---also can't right-click to get a URL, but crawling through the page source view gives me this, it may have what's needed:

<p align="center"><b><font size="4" face="Arial"><script type="text/javascript"><!--

google_ad_client = "pub-6347236514545516";

google_alternate_color = "EEF1FA";

google_ad_width = 728;

google_ad_height = 90;

google_ad_format = "728x90_as";

google_ad_type = "text_image";

//2007-04-21: gal-main-above-main-pic

google_ad_channel = "4431187005";

google_color_border = "EEF1FA";

google_color_bg = "EEF1FA";

google_color_link = "0000FF";

google_color_text = "000000";

google_color_url = "008000";

//-->

</script>

<script type="text/javascript"

src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">

</script></font></b></p>

::edit:: Or not. All of that seems to be consistent across multiple ads. I couldn't find any other lines relating to ads and no unique identifiers etc for the ad itself.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Thankk.....I guess right clicking doesn't give the info.....I wonder if someone can click this ad if they see it....get the URL for the website for this ad and I'll try to block ads from this website or company.

Hummm....because this is an ad for Google Chrome.....the URL leads back to Google.com....usually it is a simple matter of entering the company's URL...blocking just his ad and the problem goes away. But blocking the google.com ad will block all the ads I suspect. I'm baffled how to proceed.

Thanks for trying folks.

There got to be an answer, just a matter of finding it.

Ah well. I'll try to read as much of the forum as I can now. Just hope that it picks "safe" adverts tonight.

Regards,

Gerard

• 2 weeks later...

The problem seems to be fixed at this moment, as I've NOT have those problem adverts appear tonight.

Meant that I've enjoyed going through several sections in here tonight.

Thanks Steve.

Regards,

Gerard