Panavia Tornado IDS - JaboG 33 Büchel

Hi there :wave:

After over 5 years of building this beast I finally finished it one week ago.

It's the well known Revell 1:32 Tornado IDS Version with some "homemade" decals from Harald Hensel (www.Hahen.de) and my friend Jürgen who draw some of them :) Thank you guys very much!

In this build I used a BlackBox resin cockpit, CAM avionic boxes and some scratchbuilding in the wheel wells,the refueling probe compartment and the airbrake.

Colors are a mix of all kind of brands (Revell, Tamiya, XtraColor, Alclad, Vallejo ...)

The Tornado you see here is 44+94 in the year of 1999. It was the Tornado of the former Kommodore colonel Harry H. Schnell of Fighter Bomber Wing 33 based at Büchel - Germany in which he took part as the first German delegation of 4 Tornados taking part in Polands "Ocelot" excercise held at the airbase in Powidz.

The only patch which wasn't originally on the Tornado was the "Ocelot 99" patch but the receiver of this Tornado wanted it. And who would gainsay a colonel :lol:

And now on with the pics! Sorry on some you can see some pollen of which we have a ton noe here in south of Germany ..

IMGP0654.jpg

IMGP0662.jpg

IMGP0660.jpg

P1020247.jpg

P1020246.jpg

P1020248.jpg

P1020255.jpg

P1020269.jpg

P1020251.jpg

P1020252.jpg

Edited by Dondy
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there a good 1/48 kit out there?

The "crude" Airfix one aside there is the old Italeri and the new HobbyBoss tooling.

There are numerous threads about this question here on the ARC jet section so my opinion in short:

If you wish to have your Tornado displayed with flaps/slats down, thrust reversers engaged and with some nice decals all in one box --> HobbyBoss

But bear in mind to have a tornado on the shelf with some shape issues especially in the cockpit session. The airbrakes should also be CLOSED as they represent the early prototypes!

If you want to have a Tornado modell with a better shape but a bit light on the "bells and whistle" side and only want a nice cheap Tornado on your shelf --> Italeri

It's easy to build and looks (in my opinion) very nice when finished! Sure the panels lines could be a bit finer engraved etc but thats not a really big problem. And if you wish you could also use some upgrade sets to enhace it like the Neomega cockpit set, or the stuff from Paragon (Flaps/Slats, burner cans, new finbase, ...)

Just take a minute and do some searching here at ARC in the jet section and also in die build section as there are threads with both Tornados in the building and also pictures of the very nice finished ones :cheers:

Edited by Dondy

The only patch which wasn't originally on the Tornado was the "Ocelot 99" patch but the receiver of this Tornado wanted it. And who would gainsay a colonel :lol:

A Brigadier or any flavour of General :lol:

In all seriousness, that is one excellent Tornado, very well done. :thumbsup:

@toadwbg and Dondy, I have a Revell 1:48 in my stash in a German ECR boxing - I heard good reports about this one, but I'll have to build it before I can comment further.

@toadwbg and Dondy, I have a Revell 1:48 in my stash in a German ECR boxing - I heard good reports about this one, but I'll have to build it before I can comment further.

Revell reissued the Italeri plastic :)

Revell reissued the Italeri plastic :)

Thanks, sounds like the Italeri (Revell boxing) would be the one for me with an aftermarket pit.

EDIT- cant find that boxing on EBay, Sprubru, or Squadron :(

Edited by toadwbg