I'm with Jennings on this one I think, good news that he's out of the picture, but now he's a martyr, given his life for the cause etc, and to be honest, I'm not sure it'll make a lot of difference here, I wish it were otherwise, but its not, I think back to the many times "key members" of the IRA were either shot or arrested and the press spin that this would be a big blow to the organisation. Not a bit of it, the only thing which slowed down the terrorism over here was politics and money.

It was money, pure and simple. After the funding from Libya and individuals within the US was largely cut off the IRA simply couldn't afford to carry on with a large-scale campaign of violence, which forced Gerry Adams down the route of negotiation. It's the same with ETA, the money dried up so they had no choice (of course, the spin is always 'We want to end the violence' not 'We're a bit strapped for cash, and if we don't negotiate a truce we will lose rather badly).

The only way the current flavour of Islamic Terrorism will be defeated is when the supply of cash is cut off.

Vince

I have to say this about us, despite the fact Osama was a spawn of Satan, and he in no way deserved ANY dignity, I am glad to see the United States buried him at sea in accord with Islamic law. Just because he did what he did, we did not give up our honor in this situation, and we did what is right.

I know sounds petty, but this entire situation was handled with honor and even respect.

Even more reason for me to be proud to be American!

That being said:

virgins.jpg

I have to say this about us, despite the fact Osama was a spawn of Satan, and he in no way deserved ANY dignity, I am glad to see the United States buried him at sea in accord with Islamic law. Just because he did what he did, we did not give up our honor in this situation, and we did what is right.

I know sounds petty, but this entire situation was handled with honor and even respect.

That being said:

virgins.jpg

I don't think it's so much a question of honour, rather practicality. Burying him on land would have created a shrine to him (apparently Saudi Arabia wanted his body), and NOT burying him in accordance with Islamic traditions would have just fanned the flames of terrorism - the Al-Qu'aida recruiters could have pointed at a non-Islamic funeral and used it as capital to prove to those thinking of joining them that the US was actually engaged in a religious war with Islam.

Vince

So that's why William and Kate postponed their honeymoon to happen sometime after this weekend...Brits didn't want them someplace difficult to secure when this news broke.

So that's why William and Kate postponed their honeymoon to happen sometime after this weekend...Brits didn't want them someplace difficult to secure when this news broke.

We Brits are close to the U.S, but do you REALLY think they would tip off us Brits to what was about to go down ?....I very much doubt it !

good news tho whatever happened !

Regards Simon

I have to say this about us, despite the fact Osama was a spawn of Satan, and he in no way deserved ANY dignity, I am glad to see the United States buried him at sea in accord with Islamic law.

Some one who knows better then I do of Islam can clarity this more then me. Far as I know if the death was on land the body is to be buried on land.

Saying he was buried at sea, is a nice way of saying they disposed of his body in the ocean.

Edited by Wayne S

Great news for sure but from all accounts, this guy was no longer running day to day operations of AQ. This fight will be going on for decades and we need to keep vigilant. We'll have good days in the future but we are also still going to have some bad days. This certainly isn't the final victory.

The next step will be to completely re-evaluate our relationship with Pakistan. It's a huge b*tch-slap to the Paki's that we didn't inform them in advance and flew a formation of helos across their country to perform this raid. Tell me how this guy could live in such a large compound in a city with such a huge military presence and not be detected. I remember reading all the statements from Paki politicians and intelligence chiefs stating that there is no way that OBL was in their country, they would have known about it and done something,etc, etc. These guys are the real snakes, they take billions from us and actively support the Taliban and AQ.

I have a feeling that the intelligence take from this raid may be just as significant as killing Ossama. It's telling that there is no mention of any prisoners being taken. If we did get guys alive, I doubt we will release this info for quite some time.

I would love to see the helmet video of the shooter that took this scumbag out. Also, we should offer free one-way transportation to anyone who wants to visit OBL's resting place to pay respects.

Regardless of all this, it's truly a great morning knowing that crabs are feasting on OBL's wretched corpse. I went to high school with a guy that was killed at the World Trade Center. RIP Steve Roach, the guy that killed you has finally been dealt with.

Edited by 11bee

I would love to see the helmet video of the shooter that took this scumbag out.

As an aside, would this person be eligible for the $25 million reward..?

Cheers,

Andre

Cheers,

Andre

Interesting thought.....

It would be a nice touch if they took the $25 mil and gave every pilot / shooter on the raid an even split.

My guess will be that the most these guys will see will be their standard GI paycheck. Best money this country ever spent.

Hopefully they chummed the waters to get the sharks in a frenzy before they dropped him in.

NPR reported they knew of this compound in august of last year and after carefully confirming everything the Pres gave the strike order Friday the 29th.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, that image is actually a fake.

Brilliant to hear they did get the B*stard though. :thumbsup:

Yes, reports by those that have seen the real photo say he has a bullet hole dead center just above the eyes ...

Gregg

Guys-

I know everyone (including me) is excited about this, but let's remember that this is a family-friendly site please. Use of the "b" word is bad enough, but at least my four year old can't read that yet. However, were he to see that picture, I'd have a lot of explaining to do, and it would not be pretty. Please, if you guys will, remove the pics. Thank's

Aaron

Cheers,

Andre

The reward was for information leading to him so whoever originally tipped off about the compoun back in august would be who get the reward.

Still in shock over this. Glad we got him for sure, but at a terrible price.

Thanks to all the men and women in our armed forces who lost their lives, lost limbs, lost themselves in Iraq and Afghanistan all these years.

Thank you Navy SEALs for taking him out.

Thanks to our intelligence community that painstakinly pursued and tracked this vile human down.

Finally, to the families who lost loved ones on 9/11 at the Twin Towers and the Penatgon, may you finally have closure and your loved ones rest in peace.

This isn't over yet, but it is sweet victory to take him out. Let it serve notice to all who would commit acts of terrorism, that we never rest, that we will hunt you down, and we will kill you like the vermin you are.

Exactly, nothing wrong with having the moral high ground right to the end. 70.gif

Anyone else notice what time slot was used for the announcement?

Sunday night

Apprentice time :)

Edited by Pep

Awesome performance. It's been a long wait with the whole detour into Iraq and such, but I knew the good guys wouldn't rest. The description of the compound makes the assault and the result even more impressive; it was a true fortress. I wonder if the Pakistani military has been through the place yet.

Completely understand the burial at sea business and glad they took the high road and got him put away within 24 hours in accordance with Islamic ritual. Having said that, I hope they took a few "Weekend at Bernie's" style photos with the body before they took out the trash. Prop the body up between two other guys, with sunglasses on the corpse and a cigarette in the mouth, beer can in one hand and a pork chop in the other... A Hawaiian shirt would be asking for too much, I know...

Edited by andrew.deboer

Completely understand the burial at sea business and glad they took the high road and got him put away within 24 hours in accordance with Islamic ritual. Having said that, I hope they took a few "Weekend at Bernie's" style photos with the body before they took out the trash. Prop the body up between two other guys, with sunglasses on the corpse and a cigarette in the mouth, beer can in one hand and a pork chop in the other... A Hawaiian short would be asking for too much, I know...

Oh man that's funny LOL!

Having said that, I hope they took a few "Weekend at Bernie's" style photos with the body before they took out the trash. Prop the body up between two other guys, with sunglasses on the corpse and a cigarette in the mouth, beer can in one hand and a pork chop in the other... A Hawaiian short would be asking for too much, I know...

Yeah, because that will make friends for the US throughout the world, and help bring an end to terrorist attacks everywhere... :bandhead2: