Finished 1/48 Eduard's MiG-21MF

Hi,

Here is my "verification" build of new Eduard's MiG-21MF in 1/48 scale.

The livery is partially fictive as I did not find the reference photos of the whole bird.

So the portions of camouflage pattern are reconstructed based on several unrelated sources.

I've tried to depict the aircraft as used by Soviet 135th Air Brigade when deployed in Egypt during 1970.

As already mentioned this was a "verification" pure OOB build. Meaning I just wanted to know how good or bad is the kit.

And I can tell you - it is damn good. I am now prepared for the rest of Eduard's MiG-21 family.

For my next MiG I will use some "goodies" which are currently being prepared.

IMG_5606a.jpg

IMG_5607a.jpg

IMG_5608a.jpg

IMG_5609a.jpg

IMG_5610a.jpg

IMG_5613a.jpg

In progress images can be found in this thread:

MiG in progress

Regards

S.

nice! i cant wait to get back to mine!

is that the brasin seat?

Hi, the seat is OOB... in fact I will probably use the brasin seat in only one of the next several MiGs. And also the seat will be the only brasin I will use on their MiG. The exhaust pipe is the waste of money as almost nothing is visible and the cocpit do not look too convincing... The kit itself is enough...

Rgds

A.

I really like your MiG! The camo is superb and I love the work you have done on the cockpit.

Could I ask where you got the information on the Soviet 135th Air Brigade? I have done a lot of research for a Cold War historian that I work for about Egypt between 1967 and 1973 and have never found information on Red Air Force deployments. From all of the Egyptian memoirs that I have read from the period (in English only mind you, as I am not yet proficient in Arabic),numerous secondary sources and news reports from the period which state that Soviet military personnel were active during the war of attrition near the Suez Canal, but that they were anti-aircraft units manning the SAM sites (unlike in Syria, where they were would actually be manned by North Vietnamese experts). Since filling the ranks had become difficult in the Arab states after 1967, the flying duties in both Egypt and Libya in those years were actually taken on by pilots from North Korea and not the Soviet Union. As I have found, Brezhnev's Soviet Union was very afraid to pit their pilots against Israel because it did not want to escalate the Superpower competition in the Middle East. This was actually relatively new policy since Soviet pilots had been used in the Egyptian Air Force before under Khrushchev during the Yemeni Civil War (in the early 60s)to fly bombers on missions that sometimes took them into Saudi Arabia. My writing this is not an attempt to prove you wrong, but rather to give you my findings based on a scholarly approach - which could be wrong mind you - so should you have sources indicating otherwise, I would love to know which they are since I may actually work on my honours essay (due next year) on this topic.

Again, superb work on the MiG! It's always nice to see more Arab MiGs.

Edited by jr_rules2

I followed your whole build and can't wait to get started on my own eduard mig-21. Just beautiful, and thanks for all the build pics too. They will help lots.

WOW, That's stunning.

Congratulation on a job well done.

If mine turns out half as good as yours I'd be pleased.

Thanks for showing it.

:wave:

/Bosse

I really like your MiG! The camo is superb and I love the work you have done on the cockpit.

Could I ask where you got the information on the Soviet 135th Air Brigade?...

Again, superb work on the MiG! It's always nice to see more Arab MiGs.

Hi,

I am glad you like it ;-)

Regarding the 135th aviation brigade...

The correct name is

135-й ИСТРЕБИТЕЛЬНЫЙ АВИАЦИОННЫЙ ПОЛК (i.e. 135th fighter aviation regiment).

According to Egypt AF organization it was 106th fighter brigade.

It seems somebody mixed this up and "aviation brigade" was born...

The unit was staffed with soviet personnel, including all pilots, and under command of soviet forces.

Some very nice stories could be found on internet. I hope you can read Russian (or try to use Google translator)

Unit history (in Russian):

http://www.hubara-rus.ru/135iap.html

Other sources(in Russian, too):

http://www.airwar.ru/history/locwar/bv/egipet/mig21egipet.htm

http://www.waronline.org/write/world-military/russian-military-abroad/egypt/

http://badnews.org.ru/news/opravivshis_ot_katastrofy/2010-06-29-1910

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Attrition

Despite the above mentioned sources I have also used these two books:

Arab MiG-19 and MiG-21 Units In Combat - Osprey Combat Aircraft 044, 2004

Famous Russian Aircraft - Mikoyan MiG-21 - Ian Allan Publishing, 2008

Hope this will helps you.

Best regards

Sasha

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff Sasha. What camouflage and underside paint colours did you use?

Hi,

I have used Tamiya colors for my Mig. The sand is a mix of XF-59 Desert Yellow with XF-2 Flat White (around 3:1) with a few drops of XF-4 to keep the mix on yellow side. The green color is XF-11 IJN Green and X-5 Green with XF-2 - the ratio I do not remember, but I would say something like 2:2:1. The underside is 1:1 mix of XF-23 Light Blue and XF-2.

If I can recommend first try your mixing with just drops of colors. Remember the ratio of drops and then mix bigger amounts for airbrush. Always try first how the mix looks like after dry... :-)

HTH

Best regards

Sasha

I have used Tamiya colors for my Mig. The sand is ...

Thanks for the question and answer here as I was wondering the same. I prefer to use Tamiya Acrylics and I don't mind a little mixing.

More paint qu3estions:

-What do you use for the nosecone green?

-What did you use for the Cockpit color?

Thanks!

Edited by toadwbg

-What do you use for the nosecone green?

-What did you use for the Cockpit color?

Hi,

Thanks for nice comments :-)

For the cockpit color I've used acrylic colors from our local Czech brand called Agama.

The colors used are basic blue 124005n.jpg and green 124006n.jpg and white. The ratio was almost 1:1:1. The match to Eduard's PE is almost perfect...

The nosecone and antena fairings is Gunze "C" custom mix which I was given by a fellow modeler.

Unfortunately I have no more info regarding shades used or mixing ratios. Here I can just say use any "true" green.

The color ranges from very dark green up to bright grass green. You can find photos all over the internet. Just make it to your liking...;-)

Thanks again.

HTH

Sasha

Edited by auhlik