So I have been reading press reports that "modified MH-60s" were used, any one know if they were MH-60Ls, Ks, (160th Soar) or were they Navy MH-60Ss? Way to go guys who ever did it. Everett

Edited by evnewsphoto

So I have been reading press reports that "modified MH-60s" were used, any one know if they were MH-60Ls, Ks, (160th Soar) or were they Navy MH-60Ss? Way to go guys who ever did it. Everett

My guess would be MH-60K's maybe with the DAP rig. Also used were MH-47's (assume to be G's).

My understanding is that the SEALs drove in and were extracted by Task Force. It sounds like their MO. Don't know for sure though. Man I wish someone would come out with decals for those things. Hmmmm.

Floyd

TF 160 MH-60L decals would be awesome!! So would a UH-60 MedEvac conversion!! :whistle:

Edited by HeavyArty

This morning on one of the news websites (BBC or MSNBC, I think, but darned if I can find it now) there was a still picture towards the bin Laden compound showing the tail section of a helicopter standing on end. It was bottom towards the camera. Looked like an H-53 to me, but sure could be one of the H-60 variants. I guess it will all come out eventually. I hope this evening's news reveals more about the aircraft that were used. In the meantime, if you find this shot please post a link.

Rick in Maine

Read this morning in an article by Ian McPhedran the helicopters used where "Night-hawks", so I would assume that he meant MH-60K's.

I'm guessing that in the coming months we are going to see a lot of renewed interest and building of 160th SOAR birds.

Tom

This morning on one of the news websites (BBC or MSNBC, I think, but darned if I can find it now) there was a still picture towards the bin Laden compound showing the tail section of a helicopter standing on end. It was bottom towards the camera. Looked like an H-53 to me, but sure could be one of the H-60 variants. I guess it will all come out eventually. I hope this evening's news reveals more about the aircraft that were used. In the meantime, if you find this shot please post a link.

Rick in Maine

Rick, i saw the same thing, i'm pretty sure it was an H-60 tail pylon.

Also CNN reports that 24 SEALs from DEVGRU performed the mission, i really think that it was the 160th that flew them in but who knows. Navy and Air Force crews could have did the job for sure, however the 160th probably had the best chance of completing the mission.

Jose

My guess would be MH-60K's maybe with the DAP rig. Also used were MH-47's (assume to be G's).

DAP kit is for the MH-60L. And there wouldn't be much need for the DAP kit on a mission profile such as this.

Glad my topic sparked so much intrest, I just heard some more details on NPR that it was Chinhooks as well as Blackhawks and that they came "across the border" from Afganistan and that they had rehearsed at Bagram where they built a mock compound, all of that points to the Night stalkers based in Afganistan. I have seen some recent photos (in Combat Aircraft mag) of MH-60Ks and MH-47Gs at Bagram so that would make sense that the were the ride in for the Seals. Too bad they had to destroy one after it cliped a wall, by the way is this the photo one of you saw on the BBC?

I got this from the AP;

Screenshot2011-05-02at73902PM.png

Everett

Hope someone will help ID the helicopter that Everett posted. I'm less sure about my H-53 choice earlier. Not a Chinook though.

Thanks Everett for posting the picture. I was having trouble finding it again.

Rick in Maine

It looks like an MH-60 tail to me. It looks like you are looking at it from the top as if you are above the tail. I think it is a 160th SOAR helo.

Edited by HeavyArty

xnt82u.jpg

pic from the MSNBC photoblog site rehosted on tinypic...

When I was first looking at it, I thought they were the the Kaman AH-1F blades, but I realized what I thought was the leading edge was really the trailing edge. You can see it a little better when you take the shadow into account. (pure amateur speculation)

Makes me wonder what model MH-60 it was... L,K, or M...

MH-60M pic from soc.mil

Speaking of MH-60M's... hey Everett, any idea where I can pick up a copy of that magazine?

Take care,

Austin

Edited by arkhunter2002

Umm...I don't think that this is a Blackhawk. The horizontal stab does not have the hand-hold cutouts seen in the SH/MH-60 stab. And the stab shape is wrong for a vanilla Blackhawk. There is some web speculation (at Aviation Week's Ares blog) that this was a Bell 412. If so, the tailboom is rolled inverted in the crash image (since there is no evidence of the tailrotor driveshaft cover) and the rest of the fuselage is behind the wall. You can see the severed driveshaft on top of the wall.

On the other hand I don't think that there has been any formal identification of this wreckage as part of the strike force.

Sit tight and the rest of the story will undoubtedly dribble out... eventually.

I hope we get full disclosure on these events ASAP. I also read that NCIS was involved in the investigation.

Regarding your picture Austin, in February 2010 a Pakistani AH-1F crashed, so it could actually be the Kaman blades you're talking about.

I would be very surprised if this was not 160th. The Navy has decreased it's SpecOps heli capabilities a bit over the years. Units like HCS-5 use to specialize in that kind of mission, but they're decommissioned. Coming from inland, there would be no reason to use Navy. I think that photo is misleading, because there's something covering the tail, like a sheet or something.

I emailed Mike Durant on his site and asked him when the OBL book will be out. :-) I'd love to see a book from him about it. I'm sure he still has friends in there to get details.

The interesting part is the claim of using "special technology" to evade radar. Not sure if that's just the media not knowing what normal ECM is, or if it's something that's actually new.

Scroll about halfway down for some interesting photos of the helicopter wreckage. I have absolutely no idea what that tail rotor (?) or blades are from?? Anyone know??

Here

Tom

Edited by blackhawk7

Scroll about halfway down for some interesting photos of the helicopter wreckage. Now I don't have the greasest all-round knowledge of all helicopters, but I have absolutely no idea what that tail rotor (?) or blades are from?? Anyone know??

Here

Tom

It looks sort of like a fenestron anti-torque system (small, short blades) except there's no indication of a shroud and not enough blades. The pie plates over the hub might be a stealth feature. The horizontal stabilizer looks like a 212/412s in the first photo published but that seems very unlikely. It's definitely not a stock H-60's as already stated or an UH-1Y's. And the horizontal stab looks swept (not like the first photo) in the pictures on the web site that you posted with that silvery finish associated with the F-22/V-22. Not a stock U.S. helicopter. My guess is that it's an H-60 configured for stealth.

Yes the paint on it stood out immediately with its silver/metallic sheen... looks similar to that on the CV-22. Maybe this has something to do with the "special technology" being referenced in the media? I have been looking though many, many photos trying to find something that looks similar in either the US or Pakistani heli fleets. And even through possible UAV/drone choppers that I could find, but so far nothing. Cannot wait to see what becomes of this... I wonder if the Daily Mirror realises what they have published!

Could these be the first images of a 'Stealth Hawk'??

Tom

Edited by blackhawk7

It looks sort of like a fenestron anti-torque system (small, short blades) except there's no indication of a shroud and not enough blades. The pie plates over the hub might be a stealth feature. The horizontal stabilizer looks like a 212/412s in the first photo published but that seems very unlikely. It's definitely not a stock H-60's as already stated or an UH-1Y's. And the horizontal stab looks swept (not like the first photo) in the pictures on the web site that you posted with that silvery finish associated with the F-22/V-22. Not a stock U.S. helicopter. My guess is that it's an H-60 configured for stealth.

Wow.... we are seeing something out of the "black" world. Either a foreign helo to be passed off as a Pakistani bird or something brand new. I've never seen anything like this before, looks like the tailfin off an Comanche.

Scroll about halfway down for some interesting photos of the helicopter wreckage. I have absolutely no idea what that tail rotor (?) or blades are from?? Anyone know??

Here

Tom

That looks more like an airfield mockup than a real helicopter. It looks like a H-60, but that tail rotor is all wrong and the surface of the tail is too smooth, not to mention the horizontal stabilizer missing the hand holds as mentioned earlier. Something is a little strange there.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable book as well.

mason