Building this for a buddy who owns the LHS. His 68 Camaro has been in the family since 1970.

I have a sample of paint from when he repainted the car that I will be using......

I8Camarobox.jpg

I8Camarokit-01.jpg

Edited by drhornii

Is this gong to be a convertable?

RYAN.

Thats what the title say's

sorry i have a foul mout and quick keybord reflexes :whistle:

Let see some progress !!

Is this gong to be a convertable?

RYAN.

Yep, that is the resin boot for it.

Today, I picked up some photo etch for this and the Chevelle from my LHS. The sets are outstanding and are made by Model Car Garage. It has all the engine name plates and a ton of other little details. Highly recommended resource site.

Edited by drhornii
  • 2 weeks later...

Out of the paint barn, ready to paint chrome details. The paint is lacquer and it shoots differently than acrylics or enamels. Had to turn air pressure down real low and last few coats were put on real "wet". The paint is very thin and takes multiple coats to cover well but dries very fast. When I had higher pressures on the air brush, the paint was drying before it hit the model and I ended up painting over dried paint dust. I had to wet sand the kit slightly to remove that stuff and this morning shot the last coat.

The car will need a clear coat to really make the paint shine.

painted-basic.jpg

Edited by drhornii

Painting car models is a very tricky science if you want to get a glossy finish. This Camaro looks like it is going to be a beauty.......I continue to look forward to watching its progress.

Painting car models is a very tricky science if you want to get a glossy finish. This Camaro looks like it is going to be a beauty.......I continue to look forward to watching its progress.

I have a feeling a gloss finish will be the hardest part of my build. The lacquer paint, where did you get it from? I've heard of modelers using the touch up bottles of auto paint for a true color or even fingernail polish for its high gloss and variety of colors. Years (okay, decades) ago i tried a spray bomb of lacquer paint on a plastic car body but it attacked and ruined the plastic. How do you prevent that from happening?

Don

I have a feeling a gloss finish will be the hardest part of my build. The lacquer paint, where did you get it from? I've heard of modelers using the touch up bottles of auto paint for a true color or even fingernail polish for its high gloss and variety of colors. Years (okay, decades) ago i tried a spray bomb of lacquer paint on a plastic car body but it attacked and ruined the plastic. How do you prevent that from happening?

Don

MCW auto finishes is the place to go. The paint is already thinned and you need to take a few precautions when spraying lacquer. Turn the air pressure way down, if too high, the paint will dry before it hits the model causing little dust bunnies. You may need a few coats with a light sanding between coats. The last coat will be a "wet" coat and the paint is so thin, you should not have issues being too heavy.

Always follow the lacquer with a gloss coat, if not, it will be a dull finish.

• 4 weeks later...