Gates Learjet 35A - RVHP 1/72

20111013-Learjet-2.jpg

Building the brass door. The lower part carries two steps which I also cut out from a sheet of brass. I started by drafting a paper model to check the size and folding lines.

20111013-Learjet-3.jpg

Soldering of the foldings under the steps. Note how I attached the parts with wire to have both hands free.

20111013-Learjet-4.jpg

A more conventional way of holding parts. Here I solder the steps to the door.

20111013-Learjet-7.jpg

After adding a few bits... I tried to engrave the locking lever into a brass shield. Not bad for a première!

20111013-Learjet-6.jpg

The assembled lower door in front of the plane :)

Edited by Scalephantomphixer

Thanks Platypus and Drake64 :D

20111014-Learjet-2.jpg

Both half-doors are attached to the fuselage with brass pins, fixed to a U-shaped brass bar that I soldered to the door skins.

20111014-Learjet-3.jpg

A ground view. I feel the doors look very inviting. I would just hop aboard :)

20111014-Learjet.jpg

The upper door inside is missing, plus some paint and a few antennas. The plane nears completion, yeahhh !!

The race to the finish line has started... :-D

20111015-Learjet-3.jpg

The two half-doors, entirely scratched (brass, yogurt lid, paper). Note tboth pulleys for the retraction system on the lower door.

20111015-Learjet-5.jpg

Mounted on the model, the doors seem very convincing for the scale.

20111015-Learjet-7.jpg

Close-up. I painted the service markings on the upper door.

Tomorrow Sunday will come the last 5 antennas and the static dischargers.

Here starts the last chapter of this build: the diorama to display the kit. I have a general idea about the layout, the details still need refinement.

To start with, I go back to my LiPo batteries which were awaiting their charger.

20111017-Dio_learjet-2_titre.jpg

Charging. A world in itself! Funny how many devices you can connect to charge a single battery. Expensive toys for "grown-ups", kind of... :rolleyes:

• a power supply which converts the socket 220V AC into 12C DC for the charger.
  • a charger to apply a charing program to the battery, depending on its nature.
  • a laptop, connected via USB to the charger and a programme (LogView) to monitor the charging process

20111018-Dio_learjet_titre.jpg

Here is the general layout: an apron display (here on a leftover from a 1/32 dio). Around the plane various devices connected to the Learjet by hoses which hide the power lines.I stay unsure about the colors of the apron, because gray on gray hides the real highlight of the dio: the aircraft.

So, I went for the clear linoleum, which shows quite well the plane! I created it by spraying a white color on the back of a clear plexi panel. It look just fine:D

20111022-Learjet_titre.jpg

Then I made a box with ordinary plywood. I cover it with a dark veneer. A brass frame, soldered, angled and polished separates the wood from the white ground and gives a classy touch to the display.

Very, very nice work. The thickness of the brass really help delivers on the sense of scale which is not achievable any other way. Brilliant! I really like the simple white linoleum floor, it contrasts nicely with the grey aircraft which just would not 'pop' as well on a grey apron.