Gates Learjet 35A - RVHP 1/72

20110609-Learjet-3.jpg

Panel lines or no planel lines? Having tried both I elected to have none at all, except for moveable parts and inspection panels.

20110609-Learjet-4.jpg

So I must refill the lines I engraved just before ...

20110609-Learjet.jpg

... and re-sand the entire surface. It's a bit teadious: one step forward, one step backwards, but experimenting was necessary. I removed the cockpit window masks to avoid the mask glue interacting with the Future on the window. I will apply a fresh on the window later for the next paint layer.

Have a good night :D

Last intensive sanding session, at least I hope so... :rolleyes:

20110610-Learjet-2.jpg

I sanded down almost all the primer on the lower side of the wing to see the inspection panels, which I will re-scribe.

20110610-Learjet.jpg

The top side of the plane is now nearly naked again. It will stay entirely smooth, without "lines". This is anyway the closest to reality I can get when I consider the scale.

20110611-learjet-2.jpg

Adding the fasteners for the "hood".

20110611-learjet.jpg

Engraving the emergency exit.

20110611-learjet-3.jpg

Flaps and ailerons went back into position, with some angle to add a little dynamics to the model.

20110611-learjet-5.jpg

I masked the canopy again, using tape this time. The Pebeo drawing gum is too fragile to bear the multiple manipulations of the model.

Pierre, your madness is divine! I caught a glimpse of this build over at Hyperscale, and came here to see the whole process unfold. As ever, simply amazing, highly informative and downright delightful! You have been missed- it's great to see you back. Any chance of getting a pic or two of your "secret" projects?

Cheers, my friend!

chuk

Very nice. Sorry, I should have seen that you use Mr Surfacer. I do like Mr Surfacer but I have found on some resin kits it did not 'bite' enough into the surface for my liking, even after I cleaned the resin. Perhaps I should try it again, it gives a wonderful finish.

20110613-learjet-3.jpg

Continuation of the paint job. The model sits on its temporary landing gear (matches) in front of the spray booth.

20110613-learjet-2.jpg

Here it is again, in a close-up shot. The gray paint is a mix of Tamiya XF19 and some white.

20110617-learjet.jpg

I try to break up the boredom of the gray paint by suggesting the panel lines. For that I use a very thinned XF53.

20110617-learjet-2.jpg

The appearance is too sharp, but this is only temporary. I will fade it out with film layers of original gray paint:

I do not know yet if it will work. Let's see...

20110618-learjet.jpg

Painting the panel lines is very mask-consuming. Here I use airflow to speed up the drying time.

20110618-learjet-2.jpg

Better than before when I started.

20110618-learjet-3.jpg

A little offset of the masks allows to draw fine panel lines. Lines that I will now soften out slightly before applying the camo scheme...

20110619-learjet.jpg

The workbench with the finishing paint job.

20110619-learjet-2.jpg

The grey color got its shades.

20110619-learjet-3.jpg

The patina is still too harsh in some places, but I get closer to the end.

20110619-learjet-4.jpg

The lower surfaces (wings, engines, horizontal stab, etc.) are darker, as they get less light. I try to replicate and even amplify this effect.

20110619-learjet-5.jpg

The shades are somehow subtle.

20110619-learjet-6.jpg

The front end isn't bad either. The nose will be black and the window frame is chrome (BMF).

Edited by Scalephantomphixer

Unfortunately no salt weathering on this one. It was a land-based ac and there is very little chipping as one could find on the Tomcats.

20110620-learjet.jpg

The camo zebras, hand drawn with a pencil first and masked off with drawing gum.

20110620-learjet-2.jpg

I filled in the gaps with the gum and applied masking tape on the larger surfaces.

That plane become a nightmare to hande and it is only the beginning. I wonder how mand thingies I will snap off till the end :rolleyes:

20110621-learjet-2.jpg

The Rotring airbrush with its large cup is well suited for the stripes paint job.

20110621-learjet-3.jpg

The drawing gum peels of quite easily, like white glue on the fingers.

20110621-learjet-6.jpg

A few touch-ups are required as I am not quite satisfied with the zebra lines. But the plane looks cool :-)

Edited by Scalephantomphixer

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Well, some days it's not as easy as usual...

Here is what I observe after demasking the drawing gum: the result is "not-as-I-figured-it-would-be" .

20110622-learjet-3.jpg

So I start over the masking with the old well tested method of small masking strips.

20110622-learjet-4.jpg

Here you can see what I mean with "not-as-I-figured-it-would-be". broken lines, blemishes, etc.