Gates Learjet 35A - RVHP 1/72

Pierre,

I haven't been following this build until now, since my main interest lies in large scale fighter jets. Seeing your name as a poster I should have, since your skills as a modeler are fantastic and I can always learn a few more tricks from the pros.

What I really like to see in WIP threads is how challenges are overcome, including things that didn't work out so great like your tiger stripes, which I also try to do that in my builds. I just know these stripes will soon look as terrific as the other aspects of this model.

Good luck sir! I'll be watching this one with new found interest.

Hi Chuck, I am happy to see you here ;-)

20110623-learjet.jpg

Test to see if any "staircase effect" would appear between the old and the new layer of dark grey paint. Fortunately nothing is visible, due to the extreme thinness of the layers. I used heavily thinned paint (1 part of paint / 10 parts of thinner). This means I can carry on the correction along this path. :D

20110626-learjet-3.jpg

Last moth-balling to tweak the fuel tank stripes.

20110626-learjet-4.jpg

Later today: the decals go on a layer of Future. I like the shark mouth, so unusual on a Learjet.

20110626-learjet-5.jpg

Registration numbers and the Phoenix Air icon.

20110626-learjet-6.jpg

That's it for today gents :-) Next are a full coat of Future, light weathering and a matte finish.

20110627-learjet.jpg

After a light weathering (with oils) and a layer of Modelmasters flat paint comes THE moment of the truth: uncovering the windows masks. But no problem, they were tight :-)

20110627-learjet-2.jpg

I had to touch-up the front window with some polish for watch glasses for a perfect result.

20110627-learjet-4.jpg

And of course I wanted to check the electronics. All systems up and running! Cool :-)

20110627-learjet-5.jpg

Another view with the prototype breadboard in the foreground.

20110627-learjet-7.jpg

I love the little plane :-))

20110703-learjet-2.jpg

Addition of the front window aluminum frame. I added BMF to the leading edges of the wings. The engines still carry a mask, awaiting the Alclad chrome finish.

20110703-learjet-4.jpg

Close-up on the front window with the cluttered dash hood.

20110703-learjet-5.jpg

The pilot is still fine :-)

20110703-learjet.jpg

I just LOVE the shark mouth...

20110706-learjet.jpg

I spoiled one engine inlet frame by putting my thick thumb on theChrome that was still wet. No good!

Sanding and masking with my magic tape a friend of mine made me test :

Look for the film reference "ASLAN 85K" here: www.wassermann-werbetechnik.de

20110706-learjet-2.jpg

This tape stretches beautifully, glues will without pulling decals off and is tight. No leakage under it. A layer of gloss black in preparation for the Alcald Chrome and I put it aside for the night to cure.

Thank you Filipe :D

20110710-learjet-4.jpg

A few parts of the new landing strut, right of the original one. I thought the inner wheel hubs wer badly molded: not at all, these are the brake pads.

20110710-learjet-3.jpg

Adjusting the soldering on the lathe.

20110710-learjet-5.jpg

Initiation of the hole with a 0.3mm drill.

20110710-learjet-6.jpg

Drilling at 0.8mm

20110710-learjet-7.jpg

Centering the wheel axe on the lathe.

20110710-learjet-8.jpg

Here we are: an MLG strut in its temporary position.

20110710-learjet-9.jpg

Close-up and end for today.

Have a good night friends :)

Edited by Scalephantomphixer

Such noooiiiceee tools ya've got there, Pierre! :thumbsup: Will ya give me the particulars to yer lathe, please? Me's in the need of buyin' one soon, 'n' the only prospect I've got so far is the Taig one. Whut brand is yers? Tag price higher than $500?

Cheers there,

Unc²

Such noooiiiceee tools ya've got there, Pierre! :thumbsup: Will ya give me the particulars to yer lathe, please? Me's in the need of buyin' one soon, 'n' the only prospect I've got so far is the Taig one. Whut brand is yers? Tag price higher than $500?

Sure it is higher :) A new watchmaker lathe will all the accessories will break the 20'000 barrier! Mine is a second hand Levin lathe for which I invested a couple of thousands for the whole set : bed, pulleys, motor, variator, collets, jaws, cross-slide, tailstock, cutters, toolrest etc...

Edited by Scalephantomphixer

I have a Sieg Baby Lathe, but I am not impressed with it's accuracy. I would spend as much as possible on a lathe if I did it again!

Hey there, Petar! :wave:

Let's see piccies of yer baby, shall we? Whut's with its accuracy, mate? Would ya please elaborate on it? How much did ya pay for the Sieg lathe? How many 'n' which accessories has it got? Have I made enough enquiries already? :lol: Sorry, it's just I need to decide whut lathe to purchase very soon, almost as we speak!

Sure it is higher :) A new watchmaker lathe will all the accessories will break the 20'000 barrier!

:blink: Crikey! Yer Levin lathe does look swanky to me, but me'd have ne'er thought it were worth THAT much, Pierre. No point in investin' so much as an added modellin' tool, is it? :rolleyes: Any alternatives ya knew of that ya might suggest, Pierre?

Mine is a second hand Levin lathe for which I invested a couple of thousands for the whole set : bed, pulleys, motor, variator, collets, jaws, cross-slide, tailstock, cutters, toolrest etc...

:jaw-dropping:Holy Jasons! Such a bargain price for ya to have had it complete at 90% off! Lucky bloke; congrats, my man! :worship:

Incidentally; are ya familiar with the Taig tools?

Cheers now, Pierre

Unc²

Wow! C'est manifique! Oui, vous etes une madman. Bon chance! (I hope I didn't butcher my high school French) :rolleyes:

Apart from 'une'. I strongly doubt if Pierre is female or will under go some high precision surgery below the waist :doh:

Cheers, Peter

• 2 weeks later...

20110725-learjet-7.jpg

Cleaning up the excess of solder.

20110725-learjet-4.jpg

Building the link scissors: brass sheet, a few holes with a punch, cutting and folding on the Etch-mate.

20110725-learjet-8.jpg

Soldering the scissors on the MLG strut.

20110726-learjet-2.jpg

Pimp the wheel! I also rescribed the tire profile on the lathe.

20110726-learjet-4.jpg

Et voilà: 2 brake lines per gear and a few metal straps.

20110726-learjet-5.jpg

View from the back on the brake calipers.

20110726-learjet-8.jpg

The front side with the scissors.

20110726-learjet-9.jpg

Close-up...

20110726-learjet-10.jpg

Close-up on the hydraulic brake lines :-) That's it for today folks :)