Because that would be akin to Boeing designing the next Sukhoi fighter.

Cheers,

Andre

There has been collaboration between Boeing and Sukhoi in the past and present on certain project.

I remember some collaboration between MRC Tamiya and MRC Academy /Minicraft way back in the 70's.

There is no copyright laws in Korea, I could get Tamiya to Hobbycraft in a Korean companies box, some still had the original companies name stored on the.

Didn't we all go through this already with the awesome long awaited for announcement from Tamiya America that turned out to be nothing? Didn't the insider secret squirrel people tied to the industry predict big things then as well? Maybe it is a Hasegawa reboxing?

I was the one that said the announcement was going to be the Phantom, but it was after the person I know informed me Tamiya has the Phantom complete. All I know is he has been 100% correct in the past, he does work in the industry.

I was the one that said the announcement was going to be the Phantom, but it was after the person I know informed me Tamiya has the Phantom complete. All I know is he has been 100% correct in the past, he does work in the industry.

I just read my previous reply and it read like a jab! Sorry Scooby it wasn't intended that way. God knows how many times I was 100% assured of something only to be completely incorrect. That was what I was trying to get across.

There is no copyright laws in Korea

Oh, come on now. You know you can't just say that. No qualifier? No proof? What is it, Thunderdome over there? There is no way the U.S. would have such a strong trade and military relationship with a nation with "no copyright laws." Here's just one source to the contrary: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Copyright_Act_of_South_Korea but google turns up lots of others.

Now, how strongly those are enforced--that's debatable. When I was there in the late 80s, we had no trouble buying or renting movies that had not hit theaters in the U.S., or had only recently been released in theaters.

And none of this addresses the possibility of Academy taking over a Tamiya project. I am one who would be shocked if such a thing were true, but the way it is suggested here, it's not a copyright issue anyway. Not even sure why you brought up copyrights at all. The suggestion--however unlikely--is that Tamiya allowed Academy to take over the project. What's even less likely than Academy taking over a Tamiya project with Tamiya's permission would be if that happened but without the copyrights to actually produce the kit. Because then there would be major problems trying to market/sell the kit in countries that have copyright laws, which is most or all countries where kits are sold.

Mike Todd

Edited by dedalus

Looking forward to this one, Id love to see a Phantom done with 21st century molding technology. Kinda hoping each company has thier own kits, hopefully yhr competition aspect will keep the price point south of $100. And if they are working together, great. That would help with pricing as well...

Now about the multi colored parts, I doubt it would be different colored sprues. I think were missing something here, especially with the alleged defection from one company to the other... We already know there is a one part fuselage like Tamiya's 1/32 Phantoms... Tamiya also had used multi colored parts in the Fi156 Storch...

photo3.jpg

Oh, come on now. You know you can't just say that. No qualifier? No proof? What is it, Thunderdome over there? There is no way the U.S. would have such a strong trade and military relationship with a nation with "no copyright laws." Here's just one source to the contrary: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Copyright_Act_of_South_Korea but google turns up lots of others.

Now, how strongly those are enforced--that's debatable. When I was there in the late 80s, we had no trouble buying or renting movies that had not hit theaters in the U.S., or had only recently been released in theaters.

And none of this addresses the possibility of Academy taking over a Tamiya project. I am one who would be shocked if such a thing were true, but the way it is suggested here, it's not a copyright issue anyway. Not even sure why you brought up copyrights at all. The suggestion--however unlikely--is that Tamiya allowed Academy to take over the project. What's even less likely than Academy taking over a Tamiya project with Tamiya's permission would be if that happened but without the copyrights to actually produce the kit. Because then there would be major problems trying to market/sell the kit in countries that have copyright laws, which is most or all countries where kits are sold.

Mike Todd

I was there every few months, seemed to be a favorite TDY site between working alert and exercises. I would spend my off time wandering the streets in search of kits and found a large amount of Tamiya, Hasegawa, Hobbycraft, Monogram and Revell in any number of the Korean model companies boxes.

They even photocopied the instructions from the original companies and covered the logo and address with typed pieces of paper In their place, very crudely I fact.

This what was meant by the copy right laws not being adhered to.

Academy's 1/48 F-15 is a very crude copy of the Hasegawa kit and look at their latest F-4e release, could be the Fujimi kit?

No offense was meant toward Korea just stating what I noticed through personal experience when I was in Korea.

I just read my previous reply and it read like a jab! Sorry Scooby it wasn't intended that way. God knows how many times I was 100% assured of something only to be completely incorrect. That was what I was trying to get across.

I have thick skin, it didn't come across as a jab at all.

As for my source, he has never been wrong before. He told me in advance about several kits. But the most exciting is the Phantom story! Well, the Kinetic CF-5 was exciting too.

I have a friend who is well connected in the hobby industry in the orient who is certain Tamiya has a F-4B kit already developed. I have given him grief as he told me the release date was earlier in the year, which has come and gone.

He is sticking to his guns though, he says the kit is done and ready for release. He has shown me at least three kits in their test shot form and has informed me of several other releases all well before they were announced (including some currently in the works). He is connected to the industry and is very reliable.

I can explain how he knows but it is rather complicated but it involves two well known hobby companies who were working together on the same project (an F-4B), one of their employees left the company and moved to Tamiya with all their F-4B research. That person is now boasting. First the Tsuanami delayed the release and then the information leak delayed the release. Tamiya was very upset any news was leaked at all.

But I have yet to see the release I have been waiting all year for. I am on the fence in regards to it now but I am still hopeful that this all pans out.

Was one of the pending new release kits a new tool F-15C in 1/48 scale by Tamiya? Here's hoping it is.

Rick

Why not? Why is it so out of the question that tamiya and academy collaborated on this?

Because

1. It's never happened before. It's unprecedented.

2. Neither Tamiya (especially) nor Academy would have anything to gain by cooperating like that. Both are fully capable of executing such a kit completely on their own so why would they need to "cooperate" and dilute the profits? Where is the upside for either one in such a scheme?

3. They are keen competitors in the plastic model kit business. That would be like Apple and Android cooperating the next eyephone.. Ain't gonna happen.

4. It simply makes no sense whatever.

Edited by Jennings

Looking at the drawing (box art) of the new F-4B present in the Academy's catalog I noticed the copyright signature made on the drawing by the his designer:

firma.jpg

it's signed '10 so this should to mean that Academy has commissioned the box art on the 2010.

There is only to hope the two years passed developing the new F-4B will be enough to give us a decent kit.

• 4 weeks later...

and there is a couple of evidences of Family planning...

What do you see??

I have downloaded the photos (FIDDLER...) and done a close look at some parts enlarged of the images.

This is what I have seen:

The Academy F-4B will have the external slats separated from the wings: OK! a lot better than Hasegawa.

There will be a Vulcan pod

The Airbrakes have internal details not only a 70's shaved look.

The arresting hook appear more robust than the nail shaped hook present in the Hasegawa Phantom.

In the front lower part where there is the front gear bay I see holes: there will be poseable grilles???

I don't see detail for the interior.... it's a sin.

A HIPEG, perhaps? A Vulcan pod (SUU-16/23) will be inappropriate for an F-4B, AFAIK.

Cheers,

Andre

I do not wish to publish here the enlargements made to the photos posted into the MMZ forum because they have done a so big effort to protect the images that I don't wish made upset someone.

Hovewer look at the image upper the missiles: I speak of the photo where there are a lot of copper colored pieces, in the lower right corner there is a two piece mould for a VULCAN POD.

It sure does look like a Vulcan pod. And the way they have the molds set up, they should be able to produce other versions, too. The wings don't have separate "slats," just separate ailerons, so you can pose them drooped, like on a parked F-4. I'm looking forward to this one!

Ben

The Academy F-4B will have the external slats separated from the wings:

Just to clarify, the F-4B had leading and trailing edge FLAPS, not SLATS (which would be on the leading edge). What you see in the mold shots are the ailerons - they start to droop when the engine is shut down and hydraulic pressure starts bleeding off. The trailing edge flaps (inboard of the ailerons) remain locked up when the aircraft is shut down. The trailing edge flaps work in conjunction with the leading edge flaps - you can't have one down without the other.

From the translation, it appears the target for finishing the molds is September, with the kit coming available in the fall. I hope that holds!

Gene K

Excuse me for the misunderstanding, I was speaking exactly of AILERONS, I did used wrong terms

However, enlarging the image where there are depicted all those pieces of copper color, on the extreme left side at mid height there is a typical F-4C/D front nosewheel panel, the kind with the two rectangular lights.

This should be the proof of a future development.

What do you see??

I have downloaded the photos (FIDDLER...) and done a close look at some parts enlarged of the images.

This is what I have seen:

The Academy F-4B will have the external slats separated from the wings: OK! a lot better than Hasegawa.

There will be a Vulcan pod

The Airbrakes have internal details not only a 70's shaved look.

The arresting hook appear more robust than the nail shaped hook present in the Hasegawa Phantom.

In the front lower part where there is the front gear bay I see holes: there will be poseable grilles???

I don't see detail for the interior.... it's a sin.

"underwings -hooks-holes"(i don't have the proper name,of those carrier fixtures, sorry) are optional parts, as they are on the hasegawa...

i was also thinking of that vulcan gun pod...

this give some clues... i think

Edited by mingwin

Well, it has what looks to be the correct angled centreline keel between the nose gear bay and the main spar, last seen on the Monogram F-4's, but sadly AWOL on Hasegawa's kits.

A small detail, but hopefully indicative of the amount of care taken in the design.

Yes, it definitely looks like there's going to be other versions. Not only the Vulcan gunpod and the ALQ pod (the way it's moulded there may be a -101 or a -184 option as well as a -119), the Sidewinder sprue looks like it has a AIM-9E on it. Also, there are chaff dispensers and as mentioned earlier there's a USAF style twin landing light nose gear door. My guess is that the next version will be a F-4D since it's operated by the RoKAF. Given the breakdown, gun-nose and RF variants are a distinct possibility.

The separate pylon sway braces are also a good sign - another improvement on the Hasegawa kit.

Can't wait for this, hopefully it'll be out by Telford.

Wow, thanks for posting those pics. Can't wait to hear more about this kit. If an F-4C/D is in the future then I had better start my Monogram kit!

However, if they never do a C/D it looks like we may be in store for a nice B, and that is awesome!

I am so glad that the greatest aircraft ever is finally getting some new love... (and in Gods' Own Scale)

I hope this kit:

1. Fits well.

2. Is not over-engineered partswise

3. Has restrained, refined surface detail and no trench lines

4. Is more accurate than the HS or RM kits (or at least equal too if the above are met also)

5. Has a detailed cockpit to include: canopy rails, latches, mirrors, and a 'busy' area between the seats (almost bereft in the HS ones)

Fervently praying 'They' get this kit right... :pray:

What a great time to have just procurred Jakes' book on the Rhino (SH pukes take a hike)