Rudder induces a rolling movement as well as a swing, so as he was swinging left and right he was also adjusting the roll angle, is my guess.

Application of rudder induces a roll, which itself induces a pitch down couple. So, continuous weaving maintains a pitch down couple and counteracts any tendancy to climb (perhaps trim induced) Thats helped by the sweepback of the wing, which creates an additional dihedral effect in addition to the geometric dihedral. Can't go too far with the 154 layout I should think, excessive yaw I would suspect may blank the inner wing.

Back in the day, RC was flown rudder only, and it was usual to trim nose up for a climb. Sufficient application of rudder could induce a dive, so it was possible to loop and roll and fly a circuit with nothing more than rudder control.

Exemplary pilot skill in this case though I must admit.

How would you control pitch with only engines and a rudder? Increase power to climb?

Power changes impact pitch. Differential power can control lateral direction. Seems similar to the United DC-10 / Souix City crash, with a better outcome. Great job by the crew! I was getting a bit airsick just watching that plane gyrate.

On a pucker factor scale of 1-10; had I been there I would have been at 25!!. IIRC during the 50's when seemingly a new design was in the test stages every week/month; one of the lesser gods in the magnitude had a bird in testing and during some hard maneuvering the flight controls got reversed and before the pilot could compensate; he had to exit the office for nylon let down and that one augered in.

I love the Tu-154, one of the all-time classics.

Some more proof of the sturdiness of this beauty here:

http://avherald.com/h?article=430a1d01&opt=0

An Alrosa Mirny Air Tupolev TU-154M made an emergency landing on a too short runway.

Ran off the end of the runway into the woods mowing down trees.

Everyone got off the plane unscathed.

Plane was extracted from the woods, fixed and took off again from the disused airport using just 800 Meters of runway !

Oh yeah, Berkut.

I did read up on the event, that's in fact how I found the video :whistle:

Oh yeah, Berkut.

I did read up on the event, that's in fact how I found the video :whistle:

Okei, sorry if i overreacted.

It is just pretty standard to read that if something wrong goes wrong, everyone starting "joking" about drunk pilots, crappy russian planes, well, you get the picture. If american (or western for that matter) heroically lands a plane, then yay, hero! Would be fun if each time something like that happened and someone made a "joke" about stupid or fat americans causing the crash? ;) Doubtful.

Flankerman and I encountered RA-85563 at Chkalovskii in August 2009. She was in a bit of a state then, and engineless. God knows why they'd want to fly her again. Chkalovskii is the Russian equivalent of the UK's Northolt or the USA's Andrews. They have plenty of the more modern Tu-154M variants. The Tu-154b-2s at Chkalovskii were looking 'tired' a couple of years ago. Major kudos to the pilots who brought her home safely. Once you get through the front gate security at Chkalovskii, they are a great bunch of lads.

dbbb21b6-1.jpg

Edited by Linden Hill

Flankerman and I encountered RA-85563 at Chkalovskii in August 2009.

dbbb21b6-1.jpg

I knew I had a pic somewhere - thanks for reminding me Guy.... :thumbsup:

tu-154b2 chkalovskaya.jpg

Like you say - great piloting skills - no 'crazy flying' or 'Fly by Bottle'.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

:lol: we read this yesterday and the news folks had it on last night. We beat them by a good 8 hours . Internet news beats major networks...details at 11:00P on our next news cast. :rofl:

:lol: we read this yesterday and the news folks had it on last night. We beat them by a good 8 hours . Internet news beats major networks...details at 11:00P on our next news cast. :rofl:

The vid's of incident has already been up for several days before this topic.

Okei, sorry if i overreacted.

It is just pretty standard to read that if something wrong goes wrong, everyone starting "joking" about drunk pilots, crappy russian planes, well, you get the picture. If american (or western for that matter) heroically lands a plane, then yay, hero! Would be fun if each time something like that happened and someone made a "joke" about stupid or fat americans causing the crash? ;) Doubtful.

Actually Berkut, it would have been more like the pilot had the hugely overweight passengers moving through the cabin to control the aircraft in a similar manner in the US, :P (Just kidding)

All I have to say is that Pilot had nerves of steel for that accomplishment.

William G

:D, Actually William, and not to put too serious a point on it, but seeing this was a military Tu-154 it wouldn't have been carrying many passengers on a test flight except perhaps for those who worked on the overhaul and I'm sure not even a fare generating Tu-154 would be carrying any passengers on a test flight. I'm not sure if the RuAF has the same policy as British Commonwealth Air Forces but in the RAAF, if you worked on a transport or maritime type aircraft during major servicing, you went on the test flight. This was a reward for a job well done but also mainly an incentive to make sure you did the job right the first time.

:cheers:,

Ross.

:D, Actually William, and not to put too serious a point on it, but seeing this was a military Tu-154 it wouldn't have been carrying many passengers on a test flight except perhaps for those who worked on the overhaul and I'm sure not even a fare generating Tu-154 would be carrying any passengers on a test flight. I'm not sure if the RuAF has the same policy as British Commonwealth Air Forces but in the RAAF, if you worked on a transport or maritime type aircraft during major servicing, you went on the test flight. This was a reward for a job well done but also mainly an incentive to make sure you did the job right the first time.

:cheers:,

Ross.

HEHE HE you fix it... you fly it... like it....

I have great confidence in mechanics who fix, sign off, and then test fly aircraft. Makes me want to go fly with them :) Our club mechanic is one of those. One of the very few people on earth I can honestly say I'd fly in any airplane anytime anywhere with.