Hello,

last week I started building my 1:144 scale Boeing 787 Dreamliner by Zvezda. As many of you know, this is a very nice model kit with a revolutionary design of the engine parts. For those of you who are interested in the parts layout, CLICKY.

dream1.jpg

Unfortunately, the decals are quite useless. They have to represent the Dreamliner livery of the first 787 prototype but our Russian comrades want you to paint this scheme entirely by yourself except for the titles and white stripe.

Luckily, there are a lot of aftermarket decals released, such as the detail+livery decals from F-DCAL designed by Jennings. I bought a decalset done by Danny Coremans from the Skyline Decals range (DACO products). They include a small frame with PE parts and large parts of the Dreamliner scheme as a decal. They also give you the option between transparent or grey cockpit and cabin windows. I will go for the transparent ones :thumbsup:

dream2.jpg

I started with scratch building a very simple cockpit and adding some weight in the nose.

dream3.jpg

A very good source for reference photos, besides Airliners.net, is www.newairplane.com. This is an official Boeing site with information, photo's and video's of all currently produced Boeing types.

I used the following photo as a reference for painting the inlet.

dream13.jpg

I started with the fanblades. The fan consist of two parts with ten blades each. These parts are joined together creating a very nice fan with overlapping blades!

dream6.jpg

The fan housings are also very nice parts with tubes holding the core engine (and also function as stator blades to guide the air through the bypass channel) and a representation of the first compressor stage.

dream7.jpg

dream9.jpg

I also painted the brown/bronze line in the inlet

dream8.jpg

dream10.jpg

A nasty seam! I removed it later on using a piece of white decal paper and some grey paint.

dream11.jpg

And a dry-fit with the horizontal stabilizer and uncompleted engines.

dream12.jpg

Hope you like it!

greets,

Jelle :wave:

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman

Since the 787 came to Charleston I've wanted to get this kit but there is so much white to paint. I don't do white very well. LHS always has several kits on hand, maybe one of these days. Yours is looking great so far, can't wait to see more progress. Sure would be nice to see a Dream Lifter kit (or conversion set) to go along with it. The full scale comes over the house all the time.

And now you can find this kit by Revell of Germany (04261).

The markings design by DACO and produced by Cartograf for the N787BX, N7874, N787FT and N787ZA

modelldoc

Have you got some inbox pictures?

@ all other guys: thanks for your comments. I will post a new update about the engines and the primer soon. At the moment I am almost ready to paint the fuselage, engines and wings gloss white. Just have to find the courage (and time) to do so..

Here is a scan of (a part of) the decal sheet by Modelldoc and uploaded on his request.

ScanImage001.jpg

I think the issue of which one to buy does not exist. Just ask yourself this question: do I want to buy the kit with or without a usable decal sheet? The price is almost the same!

Well to be fair, it depends what you want to build.

Not sure how many are interested in making that version. Zvezda kit is cheaper. So if you want to build a different version, both kits have useless decal sheet. ;)

Sure, but with the Revell kit at least you get some general markings such as windows, doors and wing walkway stripings. The rest of the desired colour scheme can be added by using the airbrush and titles and logo's from your spare decals!

I've got a new update.

I used this picture as a guide for painting the exhaust system of the RR Trents.

dream20.jpg

The metallic blue on the exhaust cone still needs to be faded a bit more. It is too bright now.

dream17.jpg

White paintjob

dream16.jpg

And the aluminium anti-ice boots on the wings and engine inlets. On the wing's leading edges I made them too wide, I painted the entire slats aluminium. Maybe I will correct it by removing 2 mm from the de-ice boots.

dream18.jpg

greets Jelle :wave:

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman

HI Jelle,

I'm curious to how the Skyline decals 5 and 7 will cover the fuselage at the rectangular point. On the guide, you see the trailing edge of the wing that is white. The light and dark blue striping should continue over the wing, in my opinion.

In photos of the real thing I don't see any white underneath the wing except for a little piece of gear door.

Curious.

boeing-787-dreamliner-n787ba-za001.jpg

boeing-787-dreamliner-first-flight.jpg

Rob.

Edited by Robert K

Great work Jelle! Can't wait to see this one finished. Just one question if you don't mind - how did you mask the passenger windows (they come as clear parts if I recall correctly)?

As for Robert's question, I think I get what he's talking about - on the big blue decals there is a square cutout at the bottom where the wing TE goes. He is asking why this area is not covered in the decals.

To answer that question - you have to paint the lower part of the fuselage (that will not be covered by the decal) the same shade of blue as shown on the decals before applying them - then the entire area will be covered. The decals only cover the most difficult parts of the scheme - the blue stripes on the mid-aft fuselage and the feathered light blue.

It looks like a very impressive sheet - I'm considering building one of these.