I got it. I copied the sheet and cut out the parts to test fit them on the model. At first I thought that the white line followed the contour of the wing, leaving a square part uncovered.

Zvezde%20Dreamliner%207874.jpg

Adjusting the part to the correct position revealed my confusion.

Zvezde%20Dreamliner%207872.jpg

Ofcourse I know that the belly needs to be painted but that little corner had me confused because on the guide you don't see the light and dark blue stripes go below the wing as the decal does.

TSky69Lg.jpg

So we're clear on that.

Hope to see your beautiful Dreamliner soon.

Rob.

Edited by Robert K

Indeed you have to paint the entire belly dark blue. A not to be used square colored decal is provided as a paint sample. As far as I can see, the decals of the Dreamliner scheme details cover all stripes and areas they have to.

I did not mask the cabin windows as I did not use the transparencies. I will fill the windows with adhesive after applying the large decals and trimming the cabin windows out of it. After that I will apply the transparent cabin window decals.

Plastic strips with cabin windows are quite useless in my opinion unless you want to use them to fill in the windows to use grey cabin window decals (which I never do when it's not necessary).

@Rob: your Dreamliner looks nice! Maybe you can post another in-progress topic?

@Those who are interested: the DACO/Skyline Dreamliner decal sheet +PE is available again at the Aviation Megastore for €17,- (but excludes shipping)

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman

Robert, be sure to place the decals correctly... the white line should touch the windows after the second door and touch almost the last windows too. None of your two pictures with the copies do this, so check your placement with the drawings of the instruction sheet...

Danny

DACO Products

• 4 weeks later...

Last weeks I have been busy painting the belly blue and applying most of the decals. A large decal job such as this one is always a challenge but they went on very well as you can see. I applied a layer of Dreamliner Pearlescent Varnish (Enamel paint released by DACO specially for the Dreamliner colour scheme) on the fuselage. It gave the fuselage a beautiful pearlescent shine when viewed from a distance. Up close the separate glitter particles are quite notable giving it a slight Disco effect :P but I quite like it though I might have applied a bit too much of it..

More photos and text later on.

767decals.jpg

Phewwwwitttt! that looks gorgeous.

Last weeks I have been busy painting the belly blue and applying most of the decals. A large decal job such as this one is always a challenge but they went on very well as you can see. I applied a layer of Dreamliner Pearlescent Varnish (Enamel paint released by DACO specially for the Dreamliner colour scheme) on the fuselage. It gave the fuselage a beautiful pearlescent shine when viewed from a distance. Up close the separate glitter particles are quite notable giving it a slight Disco effect :P but I quite like it though I might have applied a bit too much of it..

More photos and text later on.

767decals.jpg

Thanks for your admiration guys! :pancake20bunny0xf: (this is the first ever forum I visited which has the option to post a hopping bunny with a pancake on its head)

Here's the extended update..

The large Dreamliner scheme is printed on three pieces for each side: the tail, the large area with fading stripes and the wave from the center to the nose. On the first halve I cut the large decal with the stripes in two. But the decals are nice to work with so on the other halve I applied that large decal as one piece. It went on fine but it is quite difficult to have them placed symmetric to the other side.

The blue area fades into a narrow strip of white decal. Unfortunately there is some colour difference between my used white paint and the white part of the decal. I wonder why it was not possible to keep that decal part transparent instead of white.

After the Dreamliner decals where applied I trimmed the decal away from the cabin windows using a toothpick with just a little bit of modelling glue on the end. The glue melts the decal away and with the toothpick you can press the molten decal into the edges of the window. It looks good especially after applying the metallic window frame decals to hide the small imperfections.

After I trimmed the decal from the cabin windows I applied a coat of Dreamliner Pearlescent Varnish DACO enamel which gave the fuselage a nice pearlescent finish. After that I filled the cabin windows with adhesive and applied the transparent decals with window frames over it and the rest of the decals (doors etc.). The wings received their black walkway stripings.

The PE antennae on the roof are provided with the DACO/Skyline decal sheet. I attached them by heating them into a flame while holding it firmly with tweezers and then melting them into the roof (carefully!)

The model is not finished yet. I have to add some more antennae, pitot tubes and navigation lights, some other details and a gloss finish.

dream21.jpg

dream24.jpg

dream23.jpg

Here you can see the pearlescent/glitter finish on the fuselage. It's a matter of taste whether you like it or not but the real aircraft appears to have it too.

dream22.jpg

greets

Jelle :wave:

I just picked up on this thread. Beautiful job, Jelle.

@ Living Legend...another method you might try for the blue on the engine exhaust cone is mixing a clear blue with a bit of mettalic (flat aluminum?). The touch of metal in the blue gives it a much softer look. I use Tamiya enamels for this, though one could also use acrylics. HTH.

Alan in YUL

Thank you all!!

One question, did you coat the entire fuselage (after applying the decals) with the pearlescent finish?

Yes I applied the pearlescent finish on the entire fuselage but I know only the white part should have been coated with it.