Academy A-37B Dragonfly 1/72

Started this kit late 2010 but only now got round to completing it.... attempted the salt masking technique to weather... might've over done it just a little

WIP is http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=212687

so here are the photos... thought as it was so faded I would try it outside..... again, some normal shots plus some "arty" ones

_MG_0266-01.jpg

_MG_0271-01.jpg

_MG_0273-01.jpg

_MG_0272-01.jpg

_MG_0270-01.jpg

_MG_0280-01-BW.jpg

_MG_0279-01-BW.jpg

Edited by robw_uk

You know, I think the technique would look really good on a larger scale kit. It doesn't look "wrong" though, its just a bit intense. I think yuo may be able to tone it down by loading your airbrush with some clear flat coat, a drop or two of a light brown or sand color, and thinner. Then mist it on over the wings and upper fuselage. It will tone things down a smidge and help tie everything together.

Like I said though, its a pretty cool effect.

Hey Rob....

First and foremost, congratulations on completing a model - in my book that's something which I believe is ALWAYS deserving of acknowledgement.

Now the one observation I'd like to make in hopes of helping you out is that perhaps you'd be better served by using a solid color under your model when taking pictures of your models - the reason I say this is because the "rough texture" of the background makes it really hard (at least for me) to get the full affect/effect <?> of your model

Okay well once again.....nice to see a finished model of one of my fav aircraft.

Keep it up!

Cheers,

Tim

Tim, next time I have the camera and wall paper out I will take some and post them... went for the outdoors look as it was so heavily weathered - felt a high key shot (which is my usual style) would look really out of place,......