Saw it last night (in 2D, I'm not a fan of 3D- but that's another story). Great movie! I instantly want to make comparisons to other contemporary Marvel films, which is difficult to do as this is much more of a fantasy movie instead of a tech (Iron Man) or military/monster (Hulk) driven story. I would say my satisfaction level of Thor lies somewhere between those 2.

There's a very good mostly spoiler safe review here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49322

Thor does a very good job of helping to tie in these other Marvel movies and lay the groundwork for future ones (Captain America and The Avengers). There are several small references and obvious ones like SHIELD's presence and agent Colson. If you were smart and stayed for the end-of-credits with Iron Man 2 they set up a teaser which was a great segeway into Thor. Likewise, stay for the end of credits again as another great teaser is given. SPOILERS AHEAD - Nick Fury (Samuel Jackson) unveils what must be the "Cosmic Cube", plot point of the Captain America and possibly Avengers movie. Additionally, Loki shows his "mischief" to this end (not dead!).

I can't stress enough the wonderful fantasy aspect of this film on the big screen- Asgard is beautiful! Actors pull off bigger-than-life god-like roles, which lesser actors could have made fell on their face. Credit must also go to the director, Brannagh (spelling?). He really pulled off something special here.

A couple of other gems:

-Stan Lee's cameo as the yolkals try to pull out Thor's hammer is guaranteed gut-laughter

-Watch for Hawkeye's cameo- not spectacular but the bow and arrow are obvious. Hawkeye will be more prominently featured in the Avengers movie.

-Check out a billboard in the town for "Journey into Mystery" an old Thor reference

-Dr.Blake is another old Thor reference from the comics

-"Must be one of Stark's, they never tell me anything" - Agent Colson when meeting the Destroyer- gave me a good laugh, good comic timing.

-Lot's of physical humor as Thor gets acquainted to life on Midguard (Earth).

I'm sure there are plenty other little Easter eggs and homages to the classic comic series and other fun stuff I missed during the first viewing.

Just saw it this morning and totally enjoyed it....was one of those movies where as I'm walking out of the theater into the parking lot I just kept thinking...."WOW, that was a KOOL movie."

Wish though I'd known about segments after the credits!

Loved that movie! Watched it with a friend of mine who wanted to be Thor when he was a kid! But my allegiance is still with Tony Stark and the "Iron Man" films B) SPOILER FOR THE AVENGERS MOVIE: Iron Man will be the main (of the four) characters together with Captain America (Of course Thor and Hulk will be there, but Iron Man gets the spotlight) and the main villain is Loki and one other guy (I'm assuming the Red Skul

Went to a free showing with my daughter yesterday. Wasn't as bad as I expected. In fact, I kind of liked it.

Ok, I haven't seen the Hulk movie or either Ironman film so most of those references went right over my head. In fact, only Marvel movies I have seen were the first two Spiderman films, first Fantastic Four film and the X-Men shows. Was more of a DC guy in my youth.

That said, the story was pretty good and I liked the characters. Might make it to Capt. America and sure my oldest will get me to the Avengers. Maybe I need to find some time to watch his copies of the Ironman movies.

I wasn't really that interested in the movie when it was announced (never read many Thor comics as a kid), but the movie was fun. It is definately one of the best superhero movies in the past several years, I liked it almost as much as Ironman which in my opinion has been the best of the recent (past 6-7 years) bunch.

I've been an avid comic book reader for many years but never read any Thor before other than getting small doses of him i'n Avengers or Marvel event books. I've since gotten the itch to read some and picked up the Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus - this thing is huge. Just started reading and am having a good time.

Being a big fan of Viking mythology (heck I even have Thor's runic symbol tattooed on my arm), I had to see it and I took my girlfriend to the cinema today to see the 3D version. 3D in this movie adds a bit to it; much better than Tron but of course not on par with Avatar. Story itself is good, flowing,... My girlfriend was affraid I might catch all the mistakes they made regarding nordic gods, but I was aware there's gonna be a fair share of them (and there were) so I rather enjoyed all the little details that were included in the movie, like Odin's 8-legged horse Sleipnir and similar... And we both liked the movie a lot!

Funny how a lot of movies are doing the during/after credits sequence, epilogue, bloopers or whatever in the last few years. Marvel has been doing it since X-men to tie in their next movie, specially with the latest movies leading to the Avengers. Many people are catching on this trend and stay after the credits, yet there are people that leave the theater even when they can clearly see there's more stuff showing during credits or after. They simply pause for a second to watch and it's like they think it's not worth their time and leave anyways.

I remember back in 1999 with the Matrix, that they gave you a password for the site at the end of the credits. The movie theater where we went shat the project off before the credits ended! We complained with the manager about it and got our ticket money back.

Edited by Inquisitor

I thought it was a great movie, overall. There were some great nods to the comic, and some more great setup for The Avengers. There were 2 things I thought could have been handled a little better.

1. I wasn't crazy about the hammer/flying effects. I always got the impression that Mjolnir essentially dragged Thor through the air, and I didn't really get that vibe here. Also, I know it's straight from the books, but I thought the "spinning the hammer" move looked a little cheezy. Maybe it was just too fast.

2. I thought the scenes on Earth were a little rushed. Thor basically had an Ebeneezer Scrooge night, and blam, he was "worthy" again.

In the after-credits scene, it was pointed out to me that the Cosmic Cube looks like a chunk of the Bifrost. I thought that might be a neat way to tie things together

SPOILER FOR THE AVENGERS MOVIE: Iron Man will be the main (of the four) characters together with Captain America (Of course Thor and Hulk will be there, but Iron Man gets the spotlight)

Anyone that has spent an afternoon in a comic shop will tell you that isn't much of a spoiler.....that's pretty much a given.

Also, not sure if anyone caught the name of the archer in the scene where Thor tried to reclaim Mjölnir. "Barton"...AKA Hawkeye

Anyone that has spent an afternoon in a comic shop will tell you that isn't much of a spoiler.....that's pretty much a given.

Also, not sure if anyone caught the name of the archer in the scene where Thor tried to reclaim Mjölnir. "Barton"...AKA Hawkeye

Well, most of the time Captain America gets it all...not Iron Man.

Yeah, Hawkeye's not really part of the "four" (at least in the movie adaptation), he's more like Black Widow, a SHIELD agent. Didn't catch the name though, but I knew it was him.