Mig-15 - Airfix 1/72

Hi All,

here you are with my latest completed build.

Airfix kit, 1/72 new tool.

Painted with Tamiya and Valleyo Model Air colors, little scratch built details for cockpit, seat and canopy.

Decals kit used for Major Galyshevsky aircraft.

Let me know your thoughts...

Thanks

02.jpg

03.jpg

06.jpg

08.jpg

11a.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

I wonder if this kit would be considered the most accurate now in 1:72?

It is, in fact, totally inaccurate !!! :woot.gif:

I reviewed it for a model magazine - here's what I wrote.....

I compared it to four sets of drawings from different sources - and on each one, the Airfix fuselage is far too long.

The individual wings, when placed over the drawings, are too short; but when attached to the fuselage and measured again, the overall span is too wide – meaning that the fuselage is too fat!

But let’s not rely on drawings – how about published dimensions?

Real aircraft 1:72 scale Airfix MiG-15

Wing Span 10.085m 140mm 142mm

Fuselage Length 8.125m 113mm 122mm

Total Length 10.102m 140.3m 153mm

That’s a whopping scale 2ft 3inches too long in the fuselage – but not only is the kit far too big, the wing sweep is wrong and the wing fences are in the wrong place.

The wing trailing edge root should meet the fuselage at right angles and the canopy should have a central frame and the windscreen should be more ‘horseshoe’ shaped.

Oh! – and the pitot probe is missing from the starboard wing tip.

Apart from that - it's OK :whistle:

Ken

PS - Excellent model Shamael :thumbsup:

It is, in fact, totally inaccurate !!! :woot.gif:

I reviewed it for a model magazine - here's what I wrote.....

I compared it to four sets of drawings from different sources - and on each one, the Airfix fuselage is far too long.

The individual wings, when placed over the drawings, are too short; but when attached to the fuselage and measured again, the overall span is too wide – meaning that the fuselage is too fat!

But let’s not rely on drawings – how about published dimensions?

Real aircraft 1:72 scale Airfix MiG-15

Wing Span 10.085m 140mm 142mm

Fuselage Length 8.125m 113mm 122mm

Total Length 10.102m 140.3m 153mm

That’s a whopping scale 2ft 3inches too long in the fuselage – but not only is the kit far too big, the wing sweep is wrong and the wing fences are in the wrong place.

The wing trailing edge root should meet the fuselage at right angles and the canopy should have a central frame and the windscreen should be more ‘horseshoe’ shaped.

Oh! – and the pitot probe is missing from the starboard wing tip.

Apart from that - it's OK :whistle:

Ken

PS - Excellent model Shamael :thumbsup:

Ken

The only other MiG-15 I know of is the Dragon one. Compared to that, perhaps it is the most accurate! :)

Ken

The only other MiG-15 I know of is the Dragon one. Compared to that, perhaps it is the most accurate! :)

The Hobby Boss 'Easy Assemble' model is a lot more accurate - as is the old KP kit......

IIRC, the only thing wrong with the Dragon kit was the tapered wings ???

It's such a shame though - Airfix have been making some great kits of late - how they could get the iconic MiG-15 so wrong is a mystery.

It isn't as though there is a scarcity of information about it - and access to real MiG-15 airframes isn't exactly difficult.

But it will sell by the thousands - so it matters not one jot to Airfix whether it is accurate or not.... :crying2:

Ken

how they could get the iconic MiG-15 so wrong is a mystery.

When I was looking into for myself I found that references were contradictory and some of them referred to the MiG-15bis as being longer, 10.86m being a frequently quoted length (presumable from the same source?). For instance, Green and Swanborough's compendium 'Fighters' refers to the MiG-15 length as 10.04m (32'-11¼"), whilst the MiG-15bis is given at 10.86m (35'-7½"). The Airfix kit measures just over 150mm, so it scales out just under 11.0m. I'd be very surprised if Airfix actually measured an airframe. I still enjoyed building my Airfix MiG, it may not be accurate but it was a hoot and I'd happily do another one. Your mileage may vary!

peebeep

The Hobby Boss 'Easy Assemble' model is a lot more accurate -

Hey Ken, I thought I remembered somebody here a while back claiming that the Hobby Boss kit was too small... can you chime in on that please?

The Hobby Boss 'Easy Assemble' model is a lot more accurate - as is the old KP kit......

Also the MiG - 15 is made by Russian firm " Gran ". It makes the MiG - 15bis, the UTI MiG - 15 and the MiG - 15Sh. The kit very precisely meets to drawings, very hardly gathers. The best now, in my opinion, is the model "HobbyBoss". As it is sufficient exact, detailed and gathers very well.

Edited by Bolschoj Phantome

@peebeep said "I still enjoyed building my Airfix MiG, it may not be accurate but it was a hoot and I'd happily do another one. Your mileage may vary!"

I can't agree more. The kit is simple and goes together well. It builds into something that looks like a mig. It proudly sits on my shelf as a completed kit (which is a rare find).

Mark

@peebeep said "I still enjoyed building my Airfix MiG, it may not be accurate but it was a hoot and I'd happily do another one. Your mileage may vary!"

I can't agree more. The kit is simple and goes together well. It builds into something that looks like a mig. It proudly sits on my shelf as a completed kit (which is a rare find).

Mark

and that is pretty much the sum of it. :thumbsup:

I did forget about the HB kit. Crikey, I have one in my stash as well!

• 1 month later...

Whoa! :woot.gif: Another DPRK fighter built by our comrade! :P

Pretty soon if more comes out we'll need a "parking" thread for them in the future.

Awesome work there Shamael~! :thumbsup: