1/48th Italeri A-10 Operation Iraqi Freedom

I worked on this dog off/on for about 2 1/2 years before finally deciding to finish it. I'm sorta happy with how it turned out and entered it in a local show, but it didn't even get judged it seems (not a big deal as I won a silver in another category with a FW-190D). Anyway, looking for some critique here as I want to know:

1) Whats wrong

2) Whats right

3) What can be done better

I suck at taking photos, I tried taking these outdoors, I might try some indoors at a later point. Here yee go:

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

I should add some build notes:

-Pit Cockpit is terrible (decals) except for the nice Aces II ejection seat. I spliced in an old Monogram cockpit.

-Did the wheels up as I got enough shelf sitters, rock is from my backyard. I suppose I could call this Hog on a stick.

-Aftermarket Resin fan blades, I forget who's (Ultracast?)

-Weapons are a mix-match of resin, spares, Hasegawa weapons set

-Decals are 2Bobs "Shark Bait"

-Promodeler wash

-Several Antenna mods to make accurate for this specific airframe

-I thought this kit was a bit of a dog, not great fit for a modern new tool. I definitely prefer the ol' Monogram kit over this one.

A-10's in a contest are a REAL Challenge regardless of the kit if it has IPMS Judging rules due to alignment checks. Even a local judging team will at times look over the engine pod to main wing, to elevators, even all the pylons. Gotta be DOBA there. Just a tip from learning it myself. With resin intakes, looks like you used the Quickboost as they are direct copies of the HB kit. Should've used my inlets! I recall you bought some from me, but might've been for the Monogram/Revell which are different than my HB/Italrei.

Still, it looks Very Nice as is, and would display it proudly. At least you have a Modern Hog Built! :salute:

A-10's in a contest are a REAL Challenge regardless of the kit if it has IPMS Judging rules due to alignment checks. Even a local judging team will at times look over the engine pod to main wing, to elevators, even all the pylons. Gotta be DOBA there. Just a tip from learning it myself. With resin intakes, looks like you used the Quickboost as they are direct copies of the HB kit. Should've used my inlets! I recall you bought some from me, but might've been for the Monogram/Revell which are different than my HB/Italrei.

Still, it looks Very Nice as is, and would display it proudly. At least you have a Modern Hog Built! :salute:

Thanks- thats exacatly the kind of feeback I was looking for. Yes, this was IPMS rules. Even though it didnt' place, it was a crowd pleaser and got a lot of compliments at the show. I think what particularily made me proud of this build is my neighbor (Iraqi War Veteran) who absolutley marveled at it and recalled how those things covered their @$$ in the air during the invasion- he was on the ground! I'd give it to him, but I just gave him a Remington 12-guage last month he "won" in a raffle I went to (long story) LOL! Couldn't have given it to a better guy.

Yes I used the Quickboost intakes, they were the ones for the HB/Italeri IIRC. Liked them very much!

Other than being the "wrong" squadron... I think it really looks nice. I know that gets thrown around way too much on some forums - but the loadout, weathering and inflight pose really make a good looking display. Well done - I'd be proud to display that one :)

Hitch

Nicely done Hog!

Why the Op Iraqi Freedom title? Armament you put on your model would be used only for training purposes - at least ACMI pod on one of the Winder stations.

The armarment comes directly out of a refrence photo of a plane over Iraq or Afganistan (not certain which). In any case, fairly accurate. The ACMI pod is used to collect data over hostile territory and not just for training.

My reference book was the excellent: "The Modern Hog Guide: The A-10 Warthog Exposed" by Jake Melampy

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Hog-Guide-10-Warthog/dp/0979506425

Other than being the "wrong" squadron... I think it really looks nice. I know that gets thrown around way too much on some forums - but the loadout, weathering and inflight pose really make a good looking display. Well done - I'd be proud to display that one :)

Hitch

Thanks. Can you clarify "wrong" squaron? Now that I think of it, I might have mixed & matched decals incorrectly! I hope not, but hey I'm not perfect. :bandhead2:

The armarment comes directly out of a refrence photo of a plane over Iraq or Afganistan (not certain which). In any case, fairly accurate. The ACMI pod is used to collect data over hostile territory and not just for training.

My reference book was the excellent: "The Modern Hog Guide: The A-10 Warthog Exposed" by Jake Melampy

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Hog-Guide-10-Warthog/dp/0979506425

well I guess you learn something new each day! Thanks for the info!

Looks very nicely done to me.

I've seen enough WIP builds now to know that the Italeri A-10 to see some of the construction challenges.

I like the stand setup, now have you thought about an APC or tank model/image for when she is nose down?

Hey toadwbg, I'd have loved to help you out with a bit of constructive criticism but........I've got nothin'....sorry

The build looks good on my monitor and I do like photos taken outside. They just cry out for a little attention.

Here's my interpretation of your bird in action.....

On CAP in theatre

tn_IMG_0981c.jpg

Target aquired, rolling in

tn_IMG_0984b.jpg

Cleared in hot

tn_IMG_0987a.jpg

Hooyah!...lead rain.....

tn_IMG_0987d.jpg

Thanks for sharing your Hog

Good job. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Edited by geedubelyer

I forgot to say congratulations on the silver.

The Photoshop with the puffs of smoke is cool!

I also thought about a destroyed vehicle for the pull up shot, but how the heck do you model that?

Great work on a tough kit.

I tooks like a great build i love in flight models.

however, could that hurt you in placing in an ipms setting?

Does one not get points for landing gear and pit if they are displayed closed?

im not sure how it would work, i have only been doing shows since last year so im not sure what they look for in these cases.

you display certainly motivates me to grab one at my LHS and get craking it looks awsome!

I tooks like a great build i love in flight models.

however, could that hurt you in placing in an ipms setting?

Does one not get points for landing gear and pit if they are displayed closed?

im not sure how it would work, i have only been doin

Interesting and I had a similar thought. Honestly, it may have been more work to close the gear doors on this Italeri kit!

Nice Hog toadwbg. I really dig the rock as a base. As for a critique...I can say anything negative about it cause I don't see any. Well, done job and thanks for sharing.

Mike

nice clean build ! looks good no seams and all the paint work is very well done. I prefer a bit of weathering and wear and tear, but as a clean build it is great.

That Photoshop pic is fantastic !! It is one of the best I have seen! also like the unique stand. Ever thought of a dio with it rolling in on some 72 scale targets?

cheers

Mark

nice clean build ! looks good no seams and all the paint work is very well done. I prefer a bit of weathering and wear and tear, but as a clean build it is great.

You know what? Up close this model is dirty as hell, it just doesn't show up in the outdoor photos. :bandhead2: I might take some indoor photos yet that better show the heavy weathreing.

That Photoshop pic is fantastic !! It is one of the best I have seen! also like the unique stand. Ever thought of a dio with it rolling in on some 72 scale targets?

Yes! I am condiering it ;)