1/48th Italeri A-10 Operation Iraqi Freedom

One critique I would offer is the rear canopy intersection with the fuselage.

It appears to be partially filled in with paint.

I think it would look better if it were well defined and consistent.

Otherwise it looks really nice to me.

I would like to see it photographed under different lighting to show the weathering (and panel line wash?) better.

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

I also thought about a destroyed vehicle for the pull up shot, but how the heck do you model that?

I've got plenty of those that I seem to keep creating by accident, but I just threw out my F'ed up models box cause I kept digging them back out thinking I could fix em!

As Zacto mentioned, I also noticed the seam around the canopy was inconsistent, also the alignment of the windscreen to canopy. The second area and a plague to most A-10's is the engine nacelles, I did see some alignment and gaps, the rest of the photo's do not reveal too much more.

Some Judges will over look in-flight models and they really shouldn't, it's still the over-all build.

You need some of these.

Curt

A-10 intakes

A-10HB.jpg

Edited by Netz

I tooks like a great build i love in flight models.

however, could that hurt you in placing in an ipms setting?

Does one not get points for landing gear and pit if they are displayed closed?

im not sure how it would work, i have only been doing shows since last year so im not sure what they look for in these cases.

No, building it in-flight should have no impact. IPMS rules basically look at quality of things you did, not at things you didn't do for ease or style reasons. The difficulty level of a model is not considered unless you are looking at models with no construction flaws (which means never). Things like aftermarket parts, scratchbuilding, opening doors, and dropping flaps may make a more impressive model, but to IPMS rules they are basically just more ways you can introduce construction flaws into the model.

One thing you may consider is to volunteer to help judge models at a show. You will get teamed with experienced people, and you quickly learn a lot about the things they look for and the techniques of how to do it. It will help you build better models in the future, and give you a better appreciation of judging.

As Zacto mentioned, I also noticed the seam around the canopy was inconsistent, also the alignment of the windscreen to canopy. The second area and a plague to most A-10's is the engine nacelles, I did see some alignment and gaps, the rest of the photo's do not reveal too much more.

Some Judges will over look in-flight models and they really shouldn't, it's still the over-all build.

You need some of these.

Your right, there are some inconsistent seams and lines upon further inspection. I'm usually pretty anal about those things but slipped on this Italeri kit as it was such a beast and took a long time to complete! :bandhead2: