MiG-21 of the Vietnam War...

I've never been interested in the old legendary MiG-21. But now as I see more and more of the new Eduard 1/48 kits I'm beginning to consider them...

But, I have almost no knowledge of the -21 though, and I need help here.

1. If I would like to build a North Vietnam MiG-21, from the Vietnam war, what should I look for? What versions did they use?
  2. Where can I find more info about the -21 and the Vietnam war?
  3. If I want to build a certain airframe from a real engagement of the war, where do I find the info about the airframe details?

And...can I use the Eduard MiG-21 MF or SMT versions for a 'Nam MiG?

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:trolls:

You could use the Eduard kit - the NVAF used the 'MF late in the war.

Variants used include the MiG-21F-13, MiG-21PF, MiG-21PFM (these two are the "classic" NVAF MiG's, in my opinion), MiG-21MF, MiG-21U, MiG-21UM and MiG-21US. A good start on the subject is Osprey's MiG-21 Units of the Vietnam War.

HTH,

Andre

You could use the Eduard kit - the NVAF used the 'MF late in the war.

Variants used include the MiG-21F-13, MiG-21PF, MiG-21PFM (these two are the "classic" NVAF MiG's, in my opinion), MiG-21MF, MiG-21U, MiG-21UM and MiG-21US. A good start on the subject is Osprey's MiG-21 Units of the Vietnam War.

HTH,

Andre

Hi Andre and thanks for the info!! Really appreciate it!

I'll look around for the Osprey book. It was out of print at the Osprey site...

If I'm going to build a MiG-21 it will be one of the kills that Ritchie/DeBellevue got on july 8, 1972. That's late on the war so maybe a MF would do here? Anybody know?

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

At least one of the three MiG-21's destroyed on that dat was a 'PF, though.

Ok! Do you know of this was one of the two that Ritchie/DeBellevue got, or is that the one that Hardy/Lewinski got?

Have you heard if Eduard are planning to release the earlier MiG-21 versions, before the MF?

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

Ok! Do you know of this was one of the two that Ritchie/DeBellevue got, or is that the one that Hardy/Lewinski got?

I don't think anyone knows for sure. The US pilots were rather too busy engaged otherwise to notice the exact subtype of the MiG shooting at them... 17, 19 or 21, that's it.

Look at it from the positive side - noone will easily be able to prove you wrong..!

Cheers,

Andre

I think yes. Eduard will release Bis early next year, and then switch to earlier ones? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong :)

Ok! Will drop them an email.

I don't think anyone knows for sure. The US pilots were rather too busy engaged otherwise to notice the exact subtype of the MiG shooting at them... 17, 19 or 21, that's it.

Look at it from the positive side - noone will easily be able to prove you wrong..!

I thought maybe NVAF had released casualty lists or something... But even if they did, I doubt they'd be 100%, so I guess you're right about proving me wrong. ;-)

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

Edited by Troll

I think yes. Eduard will release Bis early next year, and then switch to earlier ones? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong :)

Just confirming that we're planning to release the Bis during end of this year. More probably early 2012.

Libor

Just confirming that we're planning to release the Bis during end of this year. More probably early 2012.

Libor

See you next Summer Olympic Games! Second generation Fishbed maybe?