Need Help: F-86 Wing Tanks

Yep....I forgot a step and now have an F-86 ready to hit the paint shed when I noticed I forgot to cut out the fuel tank pylon holes....any ideas on how I can locate the holes or get them positioned correctly? Are there landmarks such as 3 rivets aft of the 2nd panel line on the left that would help (or pictures)? How common are F-86's without the tanks? I prefer the clean and sleek look on my planes, but I think the tanks on the Sabre are iconic and pretty standard?

Any help would be appreciated!

p

Yep....I forgot a step and now have an F-86 ready to hit the paint shed when I noticed I forgot to cut out the fuel tank pylon holes....any ideas on how I can locate the holes or get them positioned correctly? ...

What kit manufacturer, scale, and model?

Gene K

Personal preference, you don't have to put them on.

But you could try to shine some light on the wing and catch it at the right angle, you might be able to see the indentations where the holes are, if that doesn't work just line up the tank to the wing and you might find them or get in the ball park with it.

Curt

I've done this very thing on more than one occasion. What has worked a couple times is to take a wooden paintbrush with a somewhat pointed end and run it over the surface of where you think the tank pylons would go. The plastic is usually thinner in these areas and will easily form dents in the surface. Make sure these dents or depressions line up with the pins on the pylons and the instructions. If all lines up and positioning looks right, you can lightly drill the holes for the pylons. Hope this helps.

Don

I've got an Academy F-86F-30 and Monogram F-86D right here in front of me (1/48). If it's either one of these let me know, I'll take a picture of the area and post it for you.

I just screwed up the same thing. Use some fine sandpaper and buff the lowere surface of the wing. The holes will 'pop' out in the light. I then used a small pin to locate the centers before opening them up with a micro drill.

It's the Academy F-86F...1/48 scale. Some good ideas here. I'll give them a try this weekend and let you know (I can't get to my model table til then). Thanks!!!!

P

Academy and others have the tank pylons mounted to far outboard anyway. The center-line of the pylon should be just inboard of the outer edge of the flap.

see this build over on LSP for a bit of fun; http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=32006&st=60

Cheers, Tony

Academy and others have the tank pylons mounted to far outboard anyway. The center-line of the pylon should be just inboard of the outer edge of the flap.

see this build over on LSP for a bit of fun; http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=32006&st=60

Cheers, Tony

Cheers for that Tony, I never knew they got it wrong.

Julien

If you want the original holes take a strong flashlight held up against the upper wing. Then when you look at the bottom they should be represented nicely. Mark with a pencil or whatever and then drill.

If not just sand the stubs off the pylons and put them wherever you want that looks right or try to get them as accurate to the real thing as possible.

I have done that too. I had another unbuilt kit of the same type so I took the lower wing off that kit, drilled out the holes and then used it as a template on the painted model. I used the template wing over the top of the finished model. Use a pin or something sharp to score the surface, then carefully drill out the holes on the painted model wing. Does that make sense?

Worked for me, your mileage may very. :wave:

Thanks to all!! I was able to use the reference pictures on the LSM weblink and drew lines where I thought they should be...lo and behold out popped the original mounting holes...turns out the original position was too far outboard (just like the discussion thread), so I'll go with the lines I drew.

It was just one of those little nits that would have bothered me all along...thanks again!

p