Any stargazers out there?

Hey ARCers,

I know that as a group the ARC community has wide and varied interests, that’s why I thought I’d start here…

The wife and I love backpacking and spending nights out under the stars. When we can’t get onto the trails and into the backcountry, we enjoy driving out to a spot with some dark sky, throwing down our sleeping pads and sleeping in the back of my truck.

My wife has always wanted a telescope, and she always reminds me of that fact on those nights we’re out staring up at the sky. Her bday’s right around the corner and I thought I’d surprise her. Problem is I know absolutely nothing about stargazing. I’m looking for a decent “entry level†telescope, nothing fancy, that we can throw in the truck with us when we head out. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-O

You probably want to get a reflector telescope rather than a traditional straight one, they're more compact and perform better. Go on the web and educate yourself a bit as to the different types. Since you're transporting it you might want to get one with a trunk type case, it'll protect it from damage.

Suggestion. I have a gadget that is a GREAT companion to my telescope. It's called a SkyScout, it's a device that looks like a handheld video camera. You point it at the star you're looking at and push a button. The device uses GPS to locate the star in the sky, it identifies the star and tells you information about it. You can use earphones to listen to the information as well. It's SUPER cool, and when used in tandem with a telescope is a great way to learn what your actually looking at.

I got myself a Outdoorsman/Hunting/Shooting Spotting scope, these are designed to be carried on hikes and are large enough (lense diameter and magnification) to be quite good for stargazing.

I have Leopold 80mm Gold Ring- I forget the model #, but a little seraching on the interweb will find you it. My model came with a small tripod and cayring case.

I got it out the other night to watch the full moon and decided to look at Saturn since it was high in the sky. For the first time in my life I actually saw Saturn's Ring (and it wasn't on TV or in a magazine or the web). It was small but quite distinct and a sight to behold.

Otherwise a good pair of binoculars you can't hardly go wrong with either.

Celestron 13" Newtonian reflector. Portable enough with its case but great "seeing". Jupiter and Saturn will be fairly detailed. Mars, you can see the polar caps. The Moon, great details.

Refractors are ok if you're looking for ships at sea, I suppose but the biggest reflector you can afford is the best way to go. If you can, get the 12V tracker that keeps the telescope on target while you stargaze. Plugs into the aux power outlet of your vehicle.

Good deals can be had on a decently sized reflector. I have a big one. All real money is in the most Important component, the mirror. It has a 10" appature, and the reflector tube is about 4' long. It has a lazy Suzan type base( Newtonian) made of nicely finished plywood. It cost like $90 at Sam's Club. Works better than some that cost $5k.

I have the box still around, I could check the manufacture's name if you want.

For anyone interested, I have a fantastic book, it's called "How to Build your own Telescope". It even shows how to grind your own concave mirrors. It's out of print but Amazon had a copy for sale not too long ago. A friend of mine got it after I showed him mine. Another being available isn't outside the realm of possibility.

If you plan to do more backpacking, I'd invest in a GOOD set of binoculars, and perhaps even a tripod for them. They are portable, and very enjoyable to use in some ways compared to a scope.

If you're really keen for a scope I'd get a Dobsonian mounted reflector. That way you can get the biggest aperture (light gathering power) for minimal cost. You will be able to see deep sky objects and things you've never seen before.

German Equatorial Mounts (GEM) are better for astrophotography but they are so hard to set up correctly that they are biggest reasons that amateurs often give up, so be sure to get a Dobsonian mount.

I have a 12" GSO Dobsonian, and an excellent pair of binoculars. Since I don't plan on astrophotography any time soon, my set up is perfect and will last me many, many years.

Someone mentioned a 13" Celestron Reflector. Usually the measurement quoted is a measurement of the aperture, usually the diametre of the optical tube assembly (OTA). That is NOT a 'portable' size scope at all - for most people. My 12" is commonly mistaken for a hot water system by visitors!

Get in touch with your local astronomy society if possible, they are usually very happy for you to come to an open night and you can try someone else's scope before you put money down.

Thanks for the great info gang. You guys have given me a good starting point. I'll start digging around on the interweb to get some more info. Using your input and the info I find on the web, I'll be able to go into a shop and ask some educated questions.

I don't live too far from the Griffith Observatory, so maybe I'll make a visit to the renvovated site using "research" as my excuse.

Thanks!