Well, nearly done at last.... after working my way through plastic sheet/rod as though it were going out of fashion, the VERY basic Airfix kit has come to life -I can't wait for them to update the moulds to the standard of the current eastern European manufacturers..

003-3.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

005-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

Alterations are many including: thinning and reshaping struts, altering spreader bar mounting on undercarriage, scratch built interior/gun mounts/tail skid/windscreen/aldis sight/king posts (above wing rigging), lower wing cutouts, engine detail including reprofiling prop shaft, separating cylinders, separating and thinning air scoop plus adding interior scoop detail, adding exhaust headers and hot air pipes for carbs, carb fairing, raising and thinning front cockpit sides, oil tank filler spout, elevator controls...oh yes...and the rigging.........

Next time I'll make sure to separate the flight control surfaces and maybe try to replicate the triplex glass centre section....sucker for punishment?

Edited by limeypilot

Nice work, love the elevator bellcrank, I've not done one of those for about 20 years or so, I really ought to have another crack at one.

Despite the age of the mould, it still turns into a nice looking kit on the shelf.

Trouble is, rigging frightens me, although I have an idea for a new rigging material (basically 0.1G muscle wire)

Nice work, love the elevator bellcrank, I've not done one of those for about 20 years or so, I really ought to have another crack at one.

Despite the age of the mould, it still turns into a nice looking kit on the shelf.

Trouble is, rigging frightens me, although I have an idea for a new rigging material (basically 0.1G muscle wire)

Actually the rigging is one of the easiest parts! Just make sure you plan ahead. Work out where the wires run and drill the holes before assembly. I use invisible mending thread, just insert one end into the hole, a touch of CA (I use a sharpened toothpick!) and it's secure in seconds. Thread the other end, pull tight, another touch of CA and voila! It's time consuming but really not difficult. I only thread one run at a time, cutting the thread about 1cm longer than required for each wire to leave enough to hold on to and pull it tight, but some prefer to run one piece for as many runs as they can get...for me the thread gets too long and it's difficult to ensure each run is taught enough. If rigging from the fuselage, touch the CA directly onto the thread and then slip into the pre-drilled hole. If you try to attach it without a hole it gets VERY frustrating as it just doesn't want to stick - unfortunately this is the only option sometimes - patience!

Have fun!

Ian