Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Litvyak

1/48 P-51D Airfix -- Mustang Mk IV

Recommended Posts

So, when I got to finally painting up the canopies for my CF-104 and QF-4, I decided to get a third one out of the way, too... started a 1/48 P-51D kit by Airfix. This'll just be a quick build, OOB with Arrow Graphics decals for a Mk IV of 442 City of Vancouver squadron.

Happily, I can report that this canopy turned out nicest of the three - question though: what's the best way to remove the sticky crap from the tape I used for masking, without damaging the paint or the plastic?

100_9835.jpg

I'm only working tomorrow all this week, and then Monday and Tuesday also off, so I /should/ be able to get this done in time, since the "hardest" part is already done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- question though: what's the best way to remove the sticky crap from the tape I used for masking, without damaging the paint or the plastic?

I use a piece of the same tape and apply it and pull it off repeatedly over the leftover glue---the tape usually takes this excess glue away.

Hope that works for you, good luck

Cheers, Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tip, Tony! I'll give that a try... just got the engine and pit assemblies painted and put together and about to wrap it up for the night, but I'll give the tape a try while I watch some before-bed TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, here's a small update, reflecting the status as of last night before I went to bed.

100_9846.jpg

100_9847.jpg

100_9848.jpg

I've also got most of the small bit painted. Will be spending most of the day out in Langley at the Museum of Flight today (never been there before!), but this evening will be getting back to this. Turns out I do work tomorrow, but I've got Tuesday and Wednesday off instead, so I'm thinking this'll be done by the deadline!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, got the fuse/wings masked and painted with the red bits and the black anti-glare panel. Few more minor things to paint, then to get the gear etc attached, and decalling... prolly will be pulling an all-nighter and part of tomorrow. If I understand it right, I have till midnight tomorrow to post finished pics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update - construction is done and decalling is proceeding apace, about halfway done; taking a bit of a needed break right now for food and such.

I'm using the Arrow Graphics decals as I mentioned, and when I started putting them on, I got quite a scare by how yellow and nearly opaque the film got. This cleared up pretty nicely after it all dried, though.

This was also my first Airfix kit, and... well, I was less than impressed. Lots of flash, some fit issues just about everywhere. I could probably have done a bit better with it if I didn't have the GB's time constraint on me, but I think it's turning out okay: it's not a contest model by any stretch, but it won't detract from my display shelf! :)

Gonna go eat now and watch an episode of Trek to relax, then will get back to finishing it all up - pics as soon as it's done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...