Dangers of Vallejo Model Color Line

Before you thin your Vallejo Model Color for airbrushing, specifically the Model Color line and not any of the other lines, read the label. Some of them contain cadmium, a very toxic heavy metal, which you do not want to inhale nor ingest. There is no known harm from skin contact, but make sure to clean up well so you don't have any to accidently rub or lick off when you eat. And never lick your brushes. Cadmium is used in other things as well such as batteries and it is found in cigarette smoke. It is a natural metal found in the soil so there are also low levels in some foods.

Edited by Snowy
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm always mildly amused when people realize acrylics are still just as bad for you as enamel when sprayed. It's still atomized and easy to breathe. As in gets in your lungs and into your blood. When you spray, use a spray booth and wear a mask folks, even if it says acrylic.

• 3 weeks later...

Um I think you might be taking the risk too seriously...from the link you provided:

Standard Practice for Labeling Art Materials for Chronic Health Hazards). In addition to compliance with European Common Market regulations, Acrylicos Vallejo decided in 2004 to begin the process of obtaining the ASTM D-4236 "No Health Labelling Required" certification for the U.S.A. distribution of their products. For a period of two years formulas for our colors were submitted to a U.S. laboratory, and were found within the safety limits set by the ASTM organization. This is a continuing process, as new formulations arise. For more information please see www.astm.org.

The ASTM certification, "Conforms to ASTM D-4236" is commonly accepted as a guarantee that the product is not toxic. However this should not be understood as a warrant to use paint without caution, since any color will contain some level of potentially harmful chemicals. Besides pigment and binder, paint contains many more ingredients and although no immediate or long term health hazards are anticipated with the use of any of these chemicals in the prescribed quantities, long term testing for chronic toxicity has been scant and incomplete. Colors should not be ingested or inhaled, no matter what their pigment content may be.

Not to mention you shouldn't be eating your paint either..no mater who makes it or what type of paint it is.

• 1 year later...

Well… actually, it doesn't matter, what paint you use as per se our lungs can't deal with any of that stuff,

so it doesn't make a difference if you can smell the solvent or not, waterbased acrylics or even oils and pastels

contain 99-100% of ingredients that simply don't belong into a human body. Some will come out, some will

cause at least irritations or in the long term cancer. Wear a proper respirator (not the cheap dust masks as

they sit lose and fumes/particles/whatever will find their way through your nose into your lungs.

Back in the 70s and 80s, over here in Germany, nosecancer (titanium, lead, cadmium, zinc etc. were and

still are in some of the paints produced), was a recognized occupational disease among airbrushers/graphic

designers and you could tell what they have been doing the whole day through when they took off the dustmasks

and on both sides of the nose (just like on a Skyraider, but the other way round) you could see where the paint

went inside the mask happily harming everything from nose to lungs, blood etc.

It's not the paint, it's the modeller who doesn't take it seriously. Cancer doesn't only happen to others.

Lungcancer killed my Dad 8 years ago. Today would be his 58 birthday.

Take care.

István

Edited by I.Illes

Hmm, I'm not sure but I'm looking at a Vallejo Model color and it says:

Non Toxic.

DOES NOT contain:

As, Cd, Co, Cr, Hg, Pb, Sb, Se

If I'm right Cadium is "Cd", so it says that the color does not contain it...Or I'm getting this wrong?

I'm not saying that this colors are "safe" to breath , just want to clear things up

Hmm, I'm not sure but I'm looking at a Vallejo Model color and it says:

Non Toxic.

DOES NOT contain:

As, Cd, Co, Cr, Hg, Pb, Sb, Se

If I'm right Cadium is "Cd", so it says that the color does not contain it...Or I'm getting this wrong?

I'm not saying that this colors are "safe" to breath , just want to clear things up

As Vallejo is produced in Europe, european laws apply, which prohibit the use of toxic stuff in paints these days.

Still, pigments and everything in the paint is not made for being absorbed by human organs; but that's common sense

and doesn't need explanation, of course. :)

I'm always mildly amused when people realize acrylics are still just as bad for you as enamel when sprayed. It's still atomized and easy to breathe. As in gets in your lungs and into your blood. When you spray, use a spray booth and wear a mask folks, even if it says acrylic.

A late reply, but...

As mentioned, no paint is good for you, and the paint pigment itself can be the same independant of the carrier used (acrylic or oil etc.).

But the difference is in the thinner. Water is natural to your body (in normal doses), and even if alcohol isn´t, it will not cause the damage on the same level as for example cellulose thinner.

If I remember correctly, it has to do with if it can pass through the cell membranes or not.

And according to someone I know and trust, all these warnings should be taken with a pinch of salt. Common sense is as usual your best friend. The important thing is to understand that exposure to allmost anything will be dangerous if high enough. But painting a kit or two a month isn't even getting close to the amounts that should pose any grave danger to you normally. That is probably about the same exposure as a professional painter get during one days work.

So, if you really care about the hazards involved in paint thinners, remember the basics. Any mask is better than none. But maybe more important, make sure that you ventilate away the fumes. Don´t keep open thinner or paint bottles in a room where you spend a lot of time, and try to have as little direct contact as possible with any chemicals.

Edited by denstore
  • 3 weeks later...

just one more thing on the cadmium risk.

you know those platted screws/bolt etc. you get with argos (for example,could be any shop)garden swings,beds and nearly everything else actually.they are a sort of gold colour with a Rainbow/pearl effect in places? well they're cadmium plated.after running a nut down the threads the plating is removed and you end up with small ammounts of the cadmium on your hands/fingers.just thought i'd mention it.wash up before eating.everything is scary if you get enough of it.

Before you thin your Vallejo Model Color for airbrushing, ....Some of them contain cadmium
Cadmium is used in other things as well such as batteries and it is found in cigarette smoke

Reality checks gents...

So what is more dangerous... Smoking a pack of cigarette a day or airbrushing vallejo pigments 2 hours a week...

:)

Sorry I couldn't resist

Always ventilate and/or wear a mask but fustigating a specific brand because it contains cadmium which is also in cigarette makes me go mmmmh :)

and I don't use Vallejo and I don't smoke, so i'm pretty neutral :)

Edited by Red Dog

Reality checks gents...

So what is more dangerous... Smoking a pack of cigarette a day or airbrushing vallejo pigments 2 hours a week...

:)

Sorry I couldn't resist

Always ventilate and/or wear a mask but fustigating a specific brand because it contains cadmium which is also in cigarette makes me go mmmmh :)

and I don't use Vallejo and I don't smoke, so i'm pretty neutral :)

That's pretty much like riding the bike to get to work every day but flying to Australia which equals riding a 40ton-truck to work as for the environmental balance. :bandhead2: I don't smoke, neither do I use Vallejo, but avoiding as much harm as one can is better than finding excuses why smoking is ok as you also breathe the exhaust fumes from cars…

Just try to be safe and do what you can to avoid shortening your lifespan without need. That's all and I think that's what everyone here wants to express, no matter if native speaker or not. :) Happy and safe modelling! :cheers:

just one more thing on the cadmium risk.

you know those platted screws/bolt etc. you get with argos (for example,could be any shop)garden swings,beds and nearly everything else actually.they are a sort of gold colour with a Rainbow/pearl effect in places? well they're cadmium plated.

I very much doubt that you still find cadmium plated products sold to the general public today. The yellow / rainbow surface can also be zinc galvanising with a subsequent passivating treatment. And most probably on a current part it is.

it seems a little unfair to have this pinned as a slam on Vallejo, just because they are a paint company with "full disclosure" of which of their lines of paints use traces of Cadmium compounds and Cobalt compounds in some of the colors

I would be more inclined to worry,,,,,and to worry more,,,,about the companies that sell paint that is NOT non-toxic labeling compliant, and/or does NOT have a good, full discussion of the hazards of Cadmium and Cobalt

it seems a little unfair to have this pinned as a slam on Vallejo, just because they are a paint company with "full disclosure" of which of their lines of paints use traces of Cadmium compounds and Cobalt compounds in some of the colors

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I very much doubt that you still find cadmium plated products sold to the general public today. The yellow / rainbow surface can also be zinc galvanising with a subsequent passivating treatment. And most probably on a current part it is.

In the US (not sure about other countries), we still sell cad plated metals. I used to work for an Oilfield supply company, and all of our stud bolts were cad plated. Cad plating is a cheaper way of weatherproofing metals....keeps it from rusting. On the oilfield, you don't want your studs bolts and nuts to rust.

Good information to know about as I use Vallejo and acrylic paints almost exclusively. I had an good expensive mask and went to the cheap paper type but I'm going to invest in a proper filter mask again as I'd like to be around for my family as long as possible. I did lick my brushes after I had cleaned them off but that is clearly a bad idea as well so I guess that stops now too! Thanks for the warnings

Steven

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Europe has this set of regulations called ROHS. It is very strict and prohibits the use of, among other things, 7 dangerous elements including cadmium. It can't be in products produced in Europe, or imported into Europe. (There are allowed percentages but they are incredibly small.) So no offence but I'm very skeptical that Vallejo can sell paints containing cadmium.

• 1 year later...

Folks:

I've been using various Vallejo paint products for a while and based on seeing the original post I went to their website and have been reading their safety disclosures.  You can read for yourself here.  I dont' see ANY indication that cadmium or any other toxic material is found in the paints I use from Vallejo, or the thinners/flow improvers, etc.

I also think it is unfair that this post, now 7 years old, has no attribution to any documentation whatsoever.  Just an unsubstantiated claim.  The guy who posted it has not been active on the site since a few months from making this post, in 2011.

I think this thread needs to be un-pinned.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

At this date Vallejo's website says, https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/safety/

Cadmium regulations update

The European Union has adopted a Directive (91/338/EEC “the Cadmium Directive”) on the use of cadmium pigments, which seeks to harmonise restrictions on their use within EU member states. This directive does not ban the use of cadmium pigments, but restricts their use where they are not seen to be essential.

and,

Proposition 65 California

In 1986, the State of California passed Proposition 65- Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, (www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65.html) and in a long list of substances known to the state of California to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity, included amongst others, Cadmium compounds, Cobalt, Nickel compounds, Carbon black, Chromium, Lead and Crystalline Silica. This ruling has caused most major Artist Paint manufacturers in the U.S.A. to include the following statement on their labels: This product contains cadmium, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. Do not spray.

Edited by southwestforests