Not just the PlayStation Network has gotten hacked ...

Honestly, (and sadly?) at this point I think the hacking of the playstation network--and Sony leadership's astonishing mismanagement of it--is more important at this point. If I hear that an old-time twentieth-century company like Lockheed gets hacked, it's like someone telling me that National Cash Register or Caterpillar or Singer Sewing Machine got hacked. Unfortunate, but not global economic implications, and I half-expect such old-time fossils are helpless in the face of such a threat. Even the national defense implications, at this point, somehow seem only mildly consequential. Meanwhile, Sony is one of the world's big digital technology players, so they matter more just at that. Worse, they have built an essential part of their business model around the viability of "cloud computing," thereby encouraging the rest of us to do so. Whether or not these data networks are seriously safe to do business through matters for all our economic futures, whether we use them personally or not.

Edited by Fishwelding

Honestly, (and sadly?) at this point I think the hacking of the playstation network--and Sony leadership's astonishing mismanagement of it--is more important at this point.

Nailed it right there.

To me the ??? moment in all of this was when it was revealed that your trophies and friends list was more protected than your payment info, that was a sign that Sony had no clue what was going on.

Ken

Edited by kenlilly106

Nailed it right there.

To me the ??? moment in all of this was when it was revealed that your trophies and friends list was more protected than your payment info, that was a sign that Sony had no clue what was going on.

Ken

The whole affair, including overall length of time that Sony took in getting things up and running again, surprised me. I don't know the percentage of game console users really use the networked services, either on PS or Xbox. I don't play online, but I do frequently download additional content through Xbox live, and I consider that now a significant value in basically owning and using the console at all. So for Sony to so severely drop the ball seems to me a horrendous gaff in the business. Sure, if they really step up their game from here on out, they can probably recover, or at least not lose too many casual gamers. (The die-hard fans'll suck it up, for the most part). And their significant rival, Microsoft, seems to be succeeding in the console world only in spite of its own currently-lackluster leadership in most other important sectors (mobile, tablet). But then, who might decide now is the right time to jump into the console business, especially as these show lucrative opportunities to eat into the "set-top box/media center" sphere? It wouldn't surprise me if we saw some oddball contender suddenly appear from outer space, such as I am a spammer....please report this post. or Google, having lined up all sorts of bold contracts with game developers and maybe (in the case of the Goog) hardware manufacturers. After all, Apple's move into phones was such an impressive foray.

Wow, this is off-topic, though. I think Lockheed-Martin was the topic. Or was it the ACME Buggy Whip Company? Or the Sure-Type Typewriter Company?

Poor S@msung. Nabbed by the anti-spam filter.

Edited by Fishwelding

This is it guys Skynet is trying to take over by planting itself in major networks!! only a mater of time when it goes online !!

When skynet takes over, it isn't going to be through turning war machines against us. Or even building it's own. Like gigantic hair and C. Thomas Howell, that's so 1980s. All those bombs and bullets have no place in the new, "lean"-focused world-dominating supermachine. Instead, it will offer us free social web services including media sharing and messaging. Then it'll subtly change the Terms of Service in it's rapidly expanding End User License Agreement, while offering all sorts of exclusive support to both political parties and the established news media corporations.

Hmmm....

Lockheed Martin was the contractor for the data processing part of the 2010 Census. In fact, they built a separate network for it and installed new servers and hundreds of PCs in three locations: Baltimore, Phoenix and here in Southern Indiana to scan and key-in all the Census data from all the forms. We now own all the equipment and have been dismantling the PCs - Tuesday, I have to tear down a training room with about 30 L-M PCs with dual monitors to get it set up the the 2012 Farm and Business Census. The PCs are all very small form factor Dells and the monitors are equally small 17 inchers. All this stuff will be excessed as it doesn't fit in with our standard Dells. This will be the last piece of the 2010 Census puzzle to tear down here.

bob

Edited by sierrascale

The console war is stupid as it doesn't take in to account the numbe of users who have bought "multiple" 360s due to failure.

Te Sony hackin is much more of a menace all because of the 22 million credit card numbers obtained. It will be a long time efore Sony has crawled ou of this hole they have dug. And all we get as loyal gamers is 2 old games and pos identity theft support. No thanks.

The console war is stupid as it doesn't take in to account the numbe of users who have bought "multiple" 360s due to failure.

Te Sony hackin is much more of a menace all because of the 22 million credit card numbers obtained. It will be a long time efore Sony has crawled ou of this hole they have dug. And all we get as loyal gamers is 2 old games and pos identity theft support. No thanks.

Well...maybe the loyal Sony gamers won't just suck it up after all. I, too, thought the "giving away old games" was yet another act in poor taste on Sony's part.

You folks really think that this isn't a big deal ?

Lock-Mart is in charge of some of this nation's most sensitive secret programs ...

We have no clue how far and deep this may actually go and what was stolen ...

<sigh >

Gregg

Lock-Mart is in charge of some of this nation's most sensitive secret programs ...

<sigh >

Gregg

At this point, I fear more damage to the global economy as a threat to my nation's security, then hacking for sensitive military or diplomatic stuff. After all, Wikileaks got what it wanted (and, incidentally, did so the more-common, old-fashioned way: through a human). Meanwhile, if Sony's misery decisively demonstrates that all this commerce, finance, and other business operations "in the cloud" turns out to be a gigantic, unacceptable liability, as Americans we are going to be very much poorer very soon. And we won't be alone.

On the other hand, maybe this is worth considering: if Lock-Mart cannot defend it's data, maybe that says something more fundamental about their relevance in our defense altogether. I'm not sure if I'm faintly impressed, or further disappointed to learn they're taking contracts for the U.S. census.

Edited by Fishwelding

Well...maybe the loyal Sony gamers won't just suck it up after all. I, too, thought the "giving away old games" was yet another act in poor taste on Sony's part.

I'm loyal and still will be. Although my online playing habits aren't very often. Occasionally on GT5 now but that's it. I will never support or purchase anything from microsoft though.

I definitely won't be purchasing or putting my CC info back on the Playstation network though.

At this point, I fear more damage to the global economy as a threat to my nation's security, then hacking for sensitive military or diplomatic stuff. After all, Wikileaks got what it wanted (and, incidentally, did so the more-common, old-fashioned way: through a human). Meanwhile, if Sony's misery decisively demonstrates that all this commerce, finance, and other business operations "in the cloud" turns out to be a gigantic, unacceptable liability, as Americans we are going to be very much poorer very soon. And we won't be alone.

On the other hand, maybe this is worth considering: if Lock-Mart cannot defend it's data, maybe that says something more fundamental about their relevance in our defense altogether. I'm not sure if I'm faintly impressed, or further disappointed to learn they're taking contracts for the U.S. census.

Not defending Sony but there have been other CC Database hacks in the last month or so ...

Michael's Craft Stores was breached for one ...

Also, lets not forget the hacks into the email accounts of customers of Best Buy, Target, etc ... My point is, I guess I'm the only one seeing the ramifications of this ...

I don't think it's any coincidence that J-20 has had it's first flight in the last 6 months ...

I'm loyal and still will be. Although my online playing habits aren't very often. Occasionally on GT5 now but that's it. I will never support or purchase anything from microsoft though.

I definitely won't be purchasing or putting my CC info back on the Playstation network though.

I never have put my CC information on PSN, I've only added funds through the use of PSN Cards ...

Gregg

<sigh >

Gregg

So unlike the Sony Playstation hack I guess the Lockheed guys managed to stop the intrusion.

Lockheed fends off attack

I would be surprised if Lockheed didn't have some better security after the last attack, Sony on the other hand was just a matter of time.

Hopefully Sony learns from these hacks and betters itself, according to this article they are working on correcting their mistakes for the Playstation 3. As Sony chief financial officer mentions:

Playstation 4?

Kato also noted that it took too long for Sony's costs on the PlayStation 3 to come down, and said that it "is no longer thinkable to have a huge initial financial investment like that of the PS3." The PlayStation 3 launched at a higher cost than its competitors and was filled with cutting-edge hardware for the time, such as the Blu-ray drive and the Cell processor. It was expensive to make, carried a high price tag, and the company suffered for it.

By using mature, off-the-shelf parts, Sony could cut costs and lower the price of the system, moves that would likely have little impact on the system's performance. While Sony often claimed the PS3 would be the only "true" high-definition console on the market, it took years for most games to match the graphical fidelity of the 360. You can argue about the possible power of both systems and that argument could get very technical very quickly, but the reality was that the PC-like architecture of the 360 allowed developers to come to grips with the hardware very quickly, while Sony's more intricate configuration only showed its power when developers took the time to learn its strengths and weaknesses

As an owner of both consoles from the beginning it was easy to see the PS3 wasn't living up to hype, cross platform games were laggy and less graphically appealing because of said problems. The PSN was a joke, as one journalist put it Sony made this great console and then as a afterthought slapped together a network. I know from my experiences it was not as streamlined as the Live network, sometimes I couldn't even play with friends who were online down the street. So for these reasons I never really used the PS3 as much, never put credit card info on it, and now with the network hacking its guaranteed I will not use it (PSN). I will gladly pay my $50 for Live.

We have no time frame of what "Almost Immediately" means ...

One minute, one day ... What ? A lot of data can be taken in a very short time ...

You seem to forget, Lockheed was hacked before ...

This isn't the first time Lockheed Martin has been targeted. Nearly four years ago, officials revealed that hackers had breached Lockheed's high-tech Joint Strike Fighter program. Officials said that no classified information about the military program was compromised, but heightened protections were added.

>>> Article <<<

As for the other stuff you write ... meh ...

Sure Sony's console cost more from the start but it sure has a much better record for not breaking down like Brand X ...

They knew they were putting out a bad console from the start and let the public beta test it, they just had to be 1st though ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

We have no time frame of what "Almost Immediately" means ...

One minute, one day ... What ? A lot of data can be taken in a very short time ...

You seem to forget, Lockheed was hacked before ...

>>> Article <<<

As for the other stuff you write ... meh ...

Sure Sony's console cost more from the start but it sure has a much better record for not breaking down like Brand X ...

They knew they were putting out a bad console from the start and let the public beta test it, they just had to be 1st though ...

Gregg

Well according to the article they say no data was taken and I take almost immediately to be within seconds? Evidently quick enough to not lose any data, unlike Sony which took forever to wake up and realize all it's customer's data was compromised.

Lockheed Martin Corp. said in a statement Saturday that it detected the May 21 attack "almost immediately" and took countermeasures. "Our systems remain secure; no customer, program or employee personal data has been compromised," the Bethesda, Md.-based company said.

As for my other stuff that I mentioned that is my own take on Sony's CFO Mr. Kato comments about the PS3 being very hard to program for in the beginning - pretty hard to dispute as even Sony says its true.

With continued attacks on Sony in Canada and other countries it will be a very long time before I even consider a Sony product again. Their laziness to protect their customers will have a detrimental effect. In the local area people may not be selling off their PS3s but they definitely aren't buying a lot - at least according to the local guys running the games stores and rental shops.

Edited by GRAIL007

Well according to the article they say no data was taken and I take almost immediately to be within seconds? Evidently quick enough to not lose any data, unlike Sony which took forever to wake up and realize all it's customer's data was compromised.

As for my other stuff that I mentioned that is my own take on Sony's CFO Mr. Kato comments about the PS3 being very hard to program for in the beginning - pretty hard to dispute as even Sony says its true.

With continued attacks on Sony in Canada and other countries it will be a very long time before I even consider a Sony product again. Their laziness to protect their customers will have a detrimental effect. In the local area people may not be selling off their PS3s but they definitely aren't buying a lot - at least according to the local guys running the games stores and rental shops.

:rolleyes:

So they say, it must have been a serious enough attack for them to go public with it ...

We'll learn later on that systems were compromised ...

Gee, that's strange, around here, PS3s are moving much more so than the other two guys ...

I wouldn't buy a piece of MS Hardware ...

"Buy a Windows computer, get an Xbox 360 ..."

They have to give them away now ... :thumbsup:

As for the bugginess in games that were cross-platform earlier on, that's because of the laziness of the developers ... PS3 is the more powerful systemn, that's why 1st party games look much better on it than 1st party games on Brand X ...

How come you don't get angry when other systems are hacked into like I pointed out above in this very thread ?

It's because they don't fit into your Fanboy-ish hatred of Sony, that's why ...

You're also exhibiting a Lock-Mart Fanboyism too now ...

Gregg

Not defending Sony but there have been other CC Database hacks in the last month or so ...

Michael's Craft Stores was breached for one ...

What I find amusing (the the facepalming sort of way) is that Sony is a huge proponent of DRM and anti-copying measures. Remember the rootkit debacle? And Securom is a Sony product.

And now someone comes in and copies Sony's entire customer and CC database. Maybe they should have implemented some of that rootkit and Securom to their own databases eh?

Apparently, the security of their products is more important than the security of their customer base.

As for the bugginess in games that were cross-platform earlier on, that's because of the laziness of the developers ... PS3 is the more powerful systemn, that's why 1st party games look much better on it than 1st party games on Brand X ...

Or like Sony's CFO had mentioned the PS3 architecture was harder to work with......

How come you don't get angry when other systems are hacked into like I pointed out above in this very thread ?

It's because they don't fit into your Fanboy-ish hatred of Sony, that's why ...

You're also exhibiting a Lock-Mart Fanboyism too now ...

Gregg

Dude the only person getting mad is you. As for the other systems getting hacked, well I am a customer of Sony, but not a customer of Target, Best Buy or Micheals so you figure it out. I call a spade a spade Sony screwed up royally, and it wasn't unforeseen, a "free service" (PSN) was not collecting the money to make it secure. If you weren't a fanboy you would admit the same.

cheers

Mark

I await your finely tailored fanboy reply.

Wow, imagine how much more vitriolic this discussion could be if the Russians made a game platform too? :deadhorse1:

Clam doon laddies, or the thread goes sleepy-bye...

Alvis 3.1

ARC Moderation Team Night Shift Cookie distributor :blink:

Gregg

Thanks for the linky..

I suppose it pays to be such a useless human being such as ME as I do not know how to use a XBOX, nor have ONE or do I know what it can and can't

do. Also I have friends and colleagues who snigger at ME for NOT having one of these fancy fangled game toys and thingys in MY home to

play......

.......and NOW these lovely friends and colleagues are the ones who have been hacked and rather ticked off...I feel sorry for those of you who

have had their accounts encroached and your ID stolen and credit cards stolen ...Grrrr.

:explode::explode:

Gosh! I will be turning into a grumpy old thing soon complainaing about everything form this to model forums and etc etc etc .... :o :o

Edited by HOLMES

I have a PS but I only play offline games, apart from BC2 occasionally. On the rare times I needed to, I bought PSN cards. I don't see why anyone would've put their credit card in, when PSN cards are available at any 7-11... for other online shopping I use a prepaid Visa... so even if something like this happens, the loss is limited.