HC-130 in 1:48

Hi All,

I have an Italeri 1:48 C-130 in my stash, and I have a hankering to do a Fulton STARS equipped Herc, the reasons being that I want to do a Woodbridge-based example, and a wish to do a STARS system one ever since I saw a live pickup demo at a Lakenheath (iirc) Open House many years ago.

Question is, before I break out the Milliput and dust off the rusty scratch-building skills (such as they are), did anyone ever do a 1:48 conversion, and if so what are the chances of picking one up?

TIA people

Cutting Edge made a Fulton nose for the HC-130 but they are out of business. You'll also have to add the tracker dome on top the airplane and cut the big scanner windows on both sides of the fuselage up front, add the ODS rails to the cargo door and the flare tubes. If it's an HC-130H then you don't need to worry about the refuel pods on the outboard of 1 and 4 engine. It's a lot of work but it can be done. :woot.gif:

Thanks Guys.

I'm not surprised there was a Cutting Edge set, but I'm really not prepared to remortgage my house (as I suspect I'll need to) in the unlikely event that one ever appears on e-Bay :woot.gif:

Looking at the Italeri Herc, it's a lot of work anyway, so a bit more won't hurt! I do have "form" in this area having once done the RAF's one and only W2 (XV208) from the Airfix 1:72 kit - iirc the basis of the nose was a Lightning overwing tank, and the radome was from the old Revell 1:32 P-40, alas I no longer have the model. But I digress - I'll leave the Herc in the stash right now, it sounds like an ideal retirement project. Perhaps by then I'll be satisfied with a straight cargo carrier such as used to fly over my childhood home into Mildenhall.

Thanks again for the input.

Well, if you could go 1/72 instead, then there is the excellent Fulton-Set for a HC-130 or the MC-130E.

http://www.djparkins.com/acatalog/1_72nd_Post_War_USAF_NATO_Russian.html

I used the MC-130E set some while ago and was very satisfied with the contact to Mr. Parkins and of course with the quality of the material.

HAJO