Just had my PC infected by one of those "anti virus" attacks which acts as a phoney anti virus programme. Saw it open the phoney control panel window and quickly turned the broadband off and hit Spybot.

Found 17 entries and fixed them and immunised the system against all those threats.

Brilliant programme, highly recommended to all!

Clicky

Hey Matt, can Spybot be used with SuperAntiSpyware? That is can both programs be used on the same PC or do I need to uninstall SuperantiSpyWare? Think I bugged you with this question before, sorry. Thanks for the help.

Chuck

And AVAST as well, OK with that?

Edited by otis252
Hey Matt, can Spybot be used with SuperAntiSpyware?

Yep no problem, Spybot runs standalone, so you can use it in conjunction with any other programmes, you might need to disable those other programmes while you immunise using SB as it likes you to close any other active windows.

I also run Adaware SE and AVG simulataneously.

When you download Spybot, what mirror selection do you download from? Never say that before. Anything else I need to do or know about downloading this. Thanks agains.

Chuck

It doesn't matter which mirror you get it from, mirrors are basically just hosting servers, so it doesn't matter much. If you want to be canny about it, choose one which is located in a country where it is about 2am, so traffic to the server will be lightest and you'll get a faster download.

How would I disable AVAST and SuperAntiSpyware while I do this? Thanks for the help.

You don't need to disable it as such, just make sure that it isn't running, but to be honest, it doesn't make an awful lot of difference.

You might get a security message pop up when you install it about a "registry entry change", but don't worry, thats just the programme embedding itself into windows.

I currently run Spybot and CCleaner along with my Norton and have never had problems...knock on wood.

I've used both Adware and Malwarebites in the past but the latter kept having conflicts every few versions with my Norton and never found anything....same with Adaware so I deleted them over time.

I'll admit Adaware isn't the best, but I never really got on with Norton, found it a bit flaky and leaky but maybe that was just my version (it was a few years ago)

For what its worth, I've also found Firefox to be much tighter than IE, so maybe thats helping.

I did just tranfer everything but windows onto an external HD which will eventually be behind its own firewall, leaving me free to browse without a firewall whilst keeping my personal stuff safe.

Matt,

I just got that virus on this machine early this morning.

As I'd only been a couple of sites at the time in that session, I think that maybe an advert server someplace ( NOT ARC ) got an infection.

This is the second time in 2 or 3 months that one has got to me.

I couldn't get to any of my usual virus scanners / logins etc, had to reboot in the end, and that virus kept on workign then too. Eventually managed to boot into one of the Safe Modes, run MSCONFIG to get to System Restore, and that appeared to kill off enough of the virus for me to reboot normally.

Then it was the Malwarebites scanner, which found 3 infections of the same virus, some in the system restore data. It managed to clean all 3 of those ok.

In a few mins I'll update / run S&D, and later my usual AVG. Might run the SAS one overnight too.

I use a random pattern of those 4 scanners at various times, and they seem to catch most things, or at least can clear them. Just annoyed that it's taken me 7 hours to clean / scan everything so far.

The obvious lessons are:

- keep the scanner pattern files updated

- keep up-to-date backups

I'll be doing a backup to a USB memory stick later today.

In a day or 2, once I'm happier, will do a backup to the externall HDD.

Regards,

Gerard

but I never really got on with Norton, found it a bit flaky and leaky but maybe that was just my version (it was a few years ago)

For what its worth, I've also found Firefox to be much tighter than IE, so maybe thats helping.

I must have missed the year they had issues with Norton, used it for the past decade with no real problems. 1st couple years I did try and upgrade versions without using the Norton delete tool's and that caused problems but I learned to use that with no problems.

1/2 the people I know who have had problems with Norton were running bare bones machines with limited RAM....Norton is a bit of a pig there but I've always maxed my machines out as much as I can afford so it's never been a issue with me.

I tried Firefox a couple times but the sucker kept losing my favorites...I've had little trouble with IE so if it works :P

I played with Google Chrome a bit and hated that....

I've tried to download SpybotSD and can't get by the "before you start, download for free clean and repair windows errors". What is this and how do I just download Spybot. Is this part of Spybot? This is why I ask so many questions, good grief. Thanks for any help. How do I get past this?

Chuck

Edited by otis252

I was getting hit with those all the time with Vista and AVG free. I switched to Win7 and Microsoft Security Essentials and haven't had a problem since.

My second line of defense is a subscription to Carbonite. :)

Edited by deadmeat