Hey guys!

Which kit is better? Dragon's or Trumpeter's 1/35 sFH 18 15cm Howitzer????

They both supply you with an aluminum barrel and two brass cylinders. Dragon gives you a brass and nickel small photoetch sets, while Trumpeter gives you vinyl tyres and a length of metal chain.

I know Trumpeter's instructions only build to a towing position, but there should be a way to work around that, and its half the price of Dragons.

On the other hand, Dragon is more accurate,the aluminum barrel is hollowed out deeper,and the instructions tell you how to make both a towing and firing position.

Which is better? Your opinions please

Thanks

DAKfreak

Edited by DAKfreak

Neither is something I probably would buy but that said it depends on what you want out of the kit. It appears that if you just want one to display on the shelf then the Trumpeter. If you want something a little bit more then in this case go with the Dragon kit.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/trumpeter/tr02304.html

HTH

Neither is something I probably would buy but that said it depends on what you want out of the kit. It appears that if you just want one to display on the shelf then the Trumpeter. If you want something a little bit more then in this case go with the Dragon kit.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/trumpeter/tr02304.html

HTH

If neither is something you'd buy, what WOULD you buy? Or are you just not into artillery?

Yes I read the PMMS pages for both kits, but what do you mean by 'display on shelf'. Display on shelf...against what? Use in a diorama?

Also what is a little bit more?

Cheers

DAKfreak

If neither is something you'd buy, what WOULD you buy? Or are you just not into artillery?

Yes I read the PMMS pages for both kits, but what do you mean by 'display on shelf'. Display on shelf...against what? Use in a diorama?

Also what is a little bit more?

Cheers

DAKfreak

I prefer to buy Marine Armor and some Russian armor (many T-34's). Not really into German Armor, to each their own.

As for display only, some folks just want to fill out a collection of pieces. The folks who may see it know nothing about armor or models, thus anything that looks good or close works. For the price the Trumpeter kit would be best. If you want to have something that is more accurate OOB or for a diorama of a firing mission than the Dragon appears to be the way to go.

For me it comes down to what I want from a kit, then get the kit that fits best. I have Dragon T-34's I have built for a better look but currently I am messing with a Tamiya T-34 for fun and try out some new paint and techniques. YMMV.

HTH

Edited by Tank

I prefer to buy Marine Armor and some Russian armor (many T-34's). Not really into German Armor, to each their own.

As for display only, some folks just want to fill out a collection of pieces. The folks who may see it know nothing about armor or models, thus anything that looks good or close works. For the price the Trumpeter kit would be best. If you want to have something that is more accurate OOB or for a diorama of a firing mission than the Dragon appears to be the way to go.

For me it comes down to what I want from a kit, then get the kit that fits best. I have Dragon T-34's I have built for a better look but currently I am messing with a Tamiya T-34 for fun and try out some new paint and techniques. YMMV.

HTH

I get what you mean. Though I value accuracy, I'll most likely go with the Trumpeter, simply because Dragon is out of my budget as I am ordering many other models/decal books.

Thanks a lot

DAKfreak

I have both - built the Dragon kit, and have fiddled with the Trumpeter kit. For my money, I see nothing wrong with the Trumpeter kit (and, had that been available first, I would likely have built it and the Dragon kit would be sitting in the box.) Both are equally good, although I find the Dragon kit and the number of small "fiddly" parts to be annoying at times. Trumpeter - only con I see is that it is in towed position (my preference is for an operational - i.e. "ready to fire" gun).

As for the barrel, there are other aftermarket barrels that can be had reasonably cheaply which may provide a deeper bore than the barrel in the Trumpeter kit. Personally, I've just used black paint in shallow bored guns to give the illusion of depth...

I have both - built the Dragon kit, and have fiddled with the Trumpeter kit. For my money, I see nothing wrong with the Trumpeter kit (and, had that been available first, I would likely have built it and the Dragon kit would be sitting in the box.) Both are equally good, although I find the Dragon kit and the number of small "fiddly" parts to be annoying at times. Trumpeter - only con I see is that it is in towed position (my preference is for an operational - i.e. "ready to fire" gun).

As for the barrel, there are other aftermarket barrels that can be had reasonably cheaply which may provide a deeper bore than the barrel in the Trumpeter kit. Personally, I've just used black paint in shallow bored guns to give the illusion of depth...

Is there any way that one can alter the parts a bit in the Trumpeter so it can be displayed in the firing position?

DAKfreak