I figured you guys could give me a hand on this. I'm debating getting a tattoo. (No I won't be selling any OSU memorabilia to get a discount on it :boohoo: ) Anyway I've always felt an odd connection to my grandfather who was the B-17 waist gunner in the 483rd. As most of you know a long quest to find information was achieved at the start of this GB and I learned what squadron and group and even planes he flew on. I also got a copy of his mission log which I shared. In said log I learned that his last mission was on 8-13-44 and my birthdate is 8-13-79. Seems an odd coincidence. Also growing up I've been infatuated with the number 13. Every sport I played it was the number I wanted if available.

So I've been tossing around tattoo ideas with either his squadron patch 817thBombSqdncopy-1.jpg with the numbers 8 and 13 either inside or outside of it.

Or the 483rd patch 483%2520Bomb%2520Gp%2520Logo.GIF

With either the latin words seen there or the English translation which means "From The Sky We Conquer"

Also debating where to get the tattoo and what size. Possible choices include upper shoulder of my back (larger size) or on my right calf (smaller size).

Throw some thoughts or suggestions my way.

I've got a SUPERB pencil sketch from Robert Taylor of a B-17 Waist Gunner. It's a pencil detail, but looks amazing. I picked it up a few years back (and we wont talk about what I paid for it), but, I'll be more than happy to scan it for you and e-mail it your way.

But if you're going to go for a patch, keeping in mind my experiences with find tattoo's (text), and how a solid amount of blue ends up over the years (RCAF Roundel "stitched" into the skin of my upper left arm), how it needed to have some work done to retain the blue... no shortfall of my tattoo artist, I'd opt with the patch.

Just my 2 cents.

Friggin cool idea though!

I'll try to find an old picture of the work in progress on the arm, that'll show you what I meant by the blue...

Cheers,

Mark.

Personally don't like tattoos- :huh: But it's your call.

However, if I was to pick either of the patches it would be the squadron patch as it would be "closer" or "more personal" to your grand dad vs a whole bomb group.

maybe you could try some decals first to see how and where they look best??getsmileyCAMPQHPO.gif

good luck