Humbrol Matt Cote Problem

Has anyone out there used Humbrol Matt Cote?

I tried using this product for the first time today. I airbrushed it on over a Future top coat that had cured for at least 24 hours. After thorough mixing in the bottle and thinning in a separate container it seemed to to go on ok; however, when it dried I ended up with little white spots all over the place which are quite noticable.

Does anyone know why this happened and how I can stop this from happening in the future? Also is there any way of getting rid of the spots?

Mattcote takes a lot of mixing. Most guys say that when you've mixed it enough then mix it some more. Short of stripping of your finish or rubbing it back some I'm not sure what your answer is but it may have been caused by insufficient mixing.

Steve.

Matt Cote really does take a lot of mixing, warming it will help and an electric stirrer is a boon! The spotting is the matting agent, applying a Humbrol gloss cote will dissolve it and clear up the finish, you can then spray another layer of matt cote on top;

From the Humbrol website;

http://www.humbrol.com/hints-and-tips/painting-and-varnishing/basic-humbrol-tips/

The white misting is deposits of the matting agent, usually caused by the varnish not being stirred thoroughly or regularly enough. However this can easily be rectified by applying a coat of gloss varnish which will dissolve the matting agent. A coat of Matt or Satin varnish can then be re-applied.

Thanks everyone for the help. I spent quite a bit of time stirring the varnish in the bottle, then more time thinning and stirring what I needed in a separate container. Obviously this was not enough.

Is there an better/easier product to use or is this what to expect with matt finishes?

Is there an better/easier product to use or is this what to expect with matt finishes?

Have a look here, if you've got some Klear/Future, a bottle of Tamiya X21 acrylic flat base & you're good to go. Get a bottle of their acrylic thinner at the same time as the X21 can be quite gluggy & a bit of thinning helps. I used this on my build HERE

Steve.

• 4 years later...

Two things that I see:

1. To be sure that your Future is dried AND cured, wait 48 hours. I've heard too many stories about folks putting on decals or painting

over theFuture that has been on the model for anywhere from an hour to 24 hours. After their decaling and/or painting, there are problems.

By letting the Future set for at least 48 hours, you should be good to go.

2. As has been mentioned in previous posts, mix up the paint very well. If the paint is a new bottle or has not been used for awhile, put a

couple of BB's or something similar into the bottle as an agitator. Now give the paint a really, really good shake. Shake until you can

see the BB's sitting in the bottom of the bottle after your shaking. Remove the BB's/agitators immediately. You will have to let the bottle

of paint sit for a day or so, because the shaking will cause a lot of bubbles that need to go away. After that, give the paint a good

stir with a popsicle stick or something similar. This won't cause bubbles, but will mix everything together.

AND, that's my 2 cents worth. Good Luck!!!