Hasegawa 1/72 EA-6B Prowler

another quick update - 2nd bay... using the cockpit tub as the roof (its upstairs drying after a coat of white - as it the backplate) it should be OK... dry fitting implie sit will be.... so hey - considering these are my first open bays I dont think I have done too bad - got some areas of improvement (folding copper) and thoughts on what to do to improve.....

_MG_0751.jpgCopyof_MG_0750.jpg

_MG_0750.jpg

last update for today.... dry fit ot the cockpit tub & equipment bay... few gaps to fill but I am pleasantly suprised (nay gobsmacked) that it does actually fit together.....

_MG_0753.jpgCopyof_MG_0752.jpg

_MG_0752.jpg

Edited by robw_uk

just a little progress - cockpit glued in... I hope to dry fit again the rest of the fuselage (worried about the 3rd part - underneath of the cockpit) and the nose to ensure it wont take too much... then button her all up, add the wings and then splat with paint

_MG_0757.jpg

_MG_0758.jpg

well some progress... dry fitting shows things wont be too bad... gaps around the wing roots - especially underneath so will address them... but it will look like a Prowler at least... dry fit shots:

_MG_0759.jpg_MG_0760.jpg

_MG_0761.jpg_MG_0762.jpg

I LOVE IT! It's looking great! :thumbsup:

thanks for that... fuse halves glued together - a few areas need attention but my first go at doing it a bit at a time to help positioning... dryfitting the wings show there will be gaps to address - the worst being the forward gear doors which are moulded closed (can be open or closed on the ground. I f I had noticed this earlier I may have been tempted to cut them open, but as the wing halves are glued together I think it would be a bit dangerous - will see anyway.....

so next will be to add the underneath panel (forward wheel well to behind the cockpit - again a few fit issues with that but will take my time with dry ftting to get it neat... at this rate I may be able to get her primed late this week/early next...

also added a few pieces of wiring to the landing gear just to add a little detail

progress this morning... U/C fitted in place (the main gear was a tight squeeze but a little trimming got it in ok), air intakes and ladders on, tail placed in place - not quite a tail sitter but think a small amount of weight just to be certain... took some photos of the deployed RAT just so you can see what I ended up with....

and then next, a few gaps to fill in (tippex is a life saver), the nose to be added, tail to be glued in (might not do that may do it after painting) and canopy to mask up... so hopefully once the lawn is mown this weekend she will get primered......

copy_MG_0764.jpg_MG_0767.jpg

_MG_0765.jpg_MG_0766.jpg

_MG_0764.jpg

some progress... light & mid grey on (meant to have a dark grey upper nose & canopy but photos I have found dont really show that so leaving for now).... please dont judge my paint skills too harshly....

_MG_0770.jpg_MG_0771.jpg

_MG_0772.jpg_MG_0773.jpg

_MG_0774.jpg_MG_0775.jpg

_MG_0776.jpg

anyway, having found an extra hour today I masked up and sprayed the walk ways and the upper surface grey. maybe not significantly darker but a contrast I am happy with. again, when I weather, this will be broken up (in some of the photos I have seen it is almost non-existent... and yes, there are darker markings on the tail too so did those

_MG_0779.jpg_MG_0781.jpg

_MG_0780.jpg

thanks chuk.... did some panel line today, normally i use promodeller wash but thought i would try oil. did some in grey (access hatches etc) and some in darker grey/black (moving wing surfaces & tail).... well it looks a little mucky - dragging backwards a damp tissue gives some much flow in the wind direction.... Next will be done with paint & airbrush (a first for me)

_MG_0782.jpg_MG_0783.jpg

_MG_0784.jpg_MG_0785.jpg

_MG_0786.jpg_MG_0787.jpg

_MG_0788.jpg

well 90 minutes of light, dark, more light, a touch of mid grey leaves me with........

_MG_0803.jpg_MG_0802.jpg

_MG_0799.jpg_MG_0797.jpg

_MG_0796.jpg_MG_0795.jpg

I must apologise if you dont like mucky birds, but yet again on this build, I am sadly happy with my efforts... nowhere near as disastrous as I had expected......

next will be masking around the white areas and doing them (may gloss the grey first to protect it)

no clear coat applied as yet - but in the past i have lightly brushed on normal KLEAR (last time i tried it i used kitchen towel as read on another forum). the slightly gloss effect is because the base greys I used are satin not matt......

cheers JMan - am sure yours is a lot neater......

well, started decals, and all i can say is low-vis is not meant to be "no-vis" is it? grey just disappears (decals are Super Scale set 72-532).... well, getting there, one side done, just the other side to do then the red, add the canopies, paint the wheels.... and she's a good 'un

_MG_0815.jpg_MG_0817.jpg

_MG_0818.jpg_MG_0819.jpg

_MG_0820.jpg_MG_0821.jpg

well now, red is on, wheels painted up (will need touched) so just need to matt her down then add the odds & sods... oh yes and replace the intake decals I accidentally removed when masking the red ladders - doh.......

_MG_0822.jpg_MG_0823.jpg

and yes, I am sadly self-satisfied with the electronics bay... shame my canopy painting is still rubbish.....

Great job on the weathering! Looks fantastic. B) I seem to find a lot of Prowlers popping up on build blogs in forums at the moment :) its alwyas a great aircraft to see built up, and I love the huge cockpit.

thanks Jon, there is just something about them - always liked the subject so building one was always going to happen. and the fact that i have used it to improve some of my skills... double winner

well, started decals, and all i can say is low-vis is not meant to be "no-vis" is it? grey just disappears (decals are Super Scale set 72-532)....

The last air show I went to had a V-22 Osprey that had insignia I could barely make out from a distance. I was surprised at how much the low-vis blends in. I'd say they look perfect!

well, started decals, and all i can say is low-vis is not meant to be "no-vis" is it? grey just disappears (decals are Super Scale set 72-532)....

The last air show I went to had a V-22 Osprey that had insignia I could barely make out from a distance. I was surprised at how much the low-vis blends in. I'd say they look perfect!

thanks fo r that - the more photos I look over the more it looks that way - just took me by surprise .....

so near..... just the last few pieces to add plus the 2 removed decals.... overall I am chuffed, i know a lot of people can do a lot better but for me.. my best dance yet (to quote Len Goodman).....

_MG_0831.jpg

_MG_0832.jpg

apart from replacing the 2 missing decals she is done......

_MG_0835.jpg_MG_0834.jpg

_MG_0833.jpg_MG_0838.jpg

will put the decals on later and then get some better pictures in the completed section...

thanks all for the comments, recommendations and encouragement.... have thoroughly enjoyed this build and am pleased with how she looks......