1/48 Hasegawa F-4E Early Phatnom II

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Zdenek, I admire your work. If you get a chance, can you share the details of how you will fill the gap between the front IP shroud and the fuselage (where the windshield sits)? That has proven to be difficult for me and I would be interested in learning your methods when you get to that.

thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Gents,

I'm here with another progress and add some photos.

I added resin AUX air intake and landing hook from Aires.

Just finish the job on the canopy and Phantom goes to SEA scheme :)

30-1.jpg

27-1.jpg

28-1.jpg

29-1.jpg

thanks for watching

cheers

Zigi

• 2 months later...

Zigi,

Incredible detail work on those panels and rivets. Very nice and fine features.

One tip since you haven't painted yet. That kit refueling door on the top of the fuselage in this pic isn't very accurate, so you may want to modify it:

10-3.jpg

It should look like this with a curve in the front middle. Note the fatter lobe on the right (starboard side) than the left side....

recep01.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Gents,

Phantom is almost ready for painting.

23-1_zpsf02dc0a6.jpg

1-20_zpsdb952e73.jpg

I added resin racks from AIRDoc and True Details (center). Now waiting to Aerobonus, they have to issue new MER and TER rack (until after the new year)

24-1_zps82496829.jpg

Cheers

Zdenek

19-1.jpg

17-1.jpg

I understand Zigi's riveting is "artistic license" and not necessarily meant to be completely accurate. Removeable panel fasteners on a real Phantom are relatively easy to see but the flush rivets used in constructing the aircraft are nearly invisible unless you are up very close to the aircraft. I think it might be useful to show just how hard to see the rivets are on a real F-4. Here's a few photos I took to show it:

002.jpg

001.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

I understand Zigi's riveting is "artistic license" and not necessarily meant to be completely accurate. Removeable panel fasteners on a real Phantom are relatively easy to see but the flush rivets used in constructing the aircraft are nearly invisible unless you are up very close to the aircraft. I think it might be useful to show just how hard to see the rivets are on a real F-4. Here's a few photos I took to show it:

Agree with ya being an artistic license.

Looking at this photo(and the guys that painted it sanded a lot of the previous paint away), you can hardly see the actual "rivets." This airframe never saw any cat launches or traps so the airframe wasn't stressed all the much but you can still see the stressed sheet metal where the rivets go. The other fasteners stand out like a sore thumb but in 1/48th would be very faint as well.

fasteners.jpg

Just an observation about the rivets...

Your model though, looks excellent!

Cheers

Larry McCarley

Edited by Incaroad
  • 2 years later...

What an incredible job Zigi. It is sooo beautiful. Could you share more close-up photos of pretty much the whole thing :) Your painting technique is incredible. Anything you can tell us about how you did it (mask or free-hand camo, how you did the shading, filters if any) that would be very useful. I can't wait to see more.