Hmmm, I thought CVN-79 was going to be named Enterprise but I guess the Navy is waiting for CVN-65 to actually be decommissioned before naming the next one. To quote Star Trek: First Contact "There will always be an Enterprise!" With such an historical lineage I would believe this will hold true with U.S. Navy Carriers.

Denis

How about for THE most decorated soldier in US History? The USS Audie Murphy! I know..I know...he was Army.

Audie Murphy is not the single most decorated U.S. Soldier. That would be Anthony Herbert by a good margin. There also was a Colonel in the 101st with the same last name that carried more decorations than Murphy, and a look at Patreus' uniform leads me to think he's also in that group.

Herbert is the guy that won the Osman in Korea, and they simply don't hand them out very often!(when he won it they had only awarded it one other time in the 20th century!!)

gary

I am so disappointed in you guys.

ARC and the Navy are missing an excellent opportunity for a viable revenue stream: Naming Rights!

How about the USS Windows 7 Pro?

No?

Then what about the USS Pacific Bell? USS Synergy?

Prices? Well lets look at exposure, mobility. How many times will the name be said over the airwaves? Product attachment. Cross promotion. I'm thinking this could not only be the wave of the future (meh heh... see what I did there?) but the start of something big.

i know naff all about the ford calss how does it compare to nimitz class?

It's essentially an upgraded Nimitz Class Ship with a smaller island and magnetic catapults instead of Steam powered Cats ...

Gregg

May 27, 2011, the Department of Defense announced its name would be USS John F. Kennedy

Steven L :wave:

IMHO...EXCELLENT choice...

He did Serve the USA in WWII..

HOLMES :salute:

Edited by HOLMES

IMHO...EXCELLENT choice...

He did Seve the USA in WWII..

HOLMES :salute:

I thought it was because he was shagging a certain famous movie star? Either way, it works better than some of the other names attached to CVN's.

How about for THE most decorated soldier in US History? The USS Audie Murphy! I know..I know...he was Army.

Call me superstitious if you will but,as a squid, I'd personally have a problem sailing aboard any ship named U.S.S. Murphy. Seems to tempt the fates just a little too much for my taste, it'd be the "U.S.S. Murphy's Law" in a hot minute. Deserved or not, that last thing you want on board a ship is the idea that your ship is jinxed, it leads to unwanted distraction. Aircraft carriers are a seriously dangerous environment, there are a 1000 ways to die aboard one. No amount of reality can rip the perception of a jinxed ship from it's crew, and that name already has one foot firmly planted in the jinxed dept. Sailors are a traditionally and historically superstitious lot, why feed that monster when you could avoid it.

i know naff all about the ford calss how does it compare to nimitz class?

Better towing capacity and I THINK the payload area is larger and built "tough"...Other than that...? :whistle:

So, now we have a U.S.S. Ford Class, when are the Chevy's coming out? OR the U.S.S. Toyota? I know, the U.S.S. Pontiac...(it's a retired name so it's fair game)

Seriously, It is a little strange to have it named after a ship that I still remember seeing pictures of as a kid. It makes me feel old. I like the idea of the U.S.S. Constitution...back to the beginning.

Bill

Bill, the USS Constitution is still a commissioned warship ... :thumbsup:

Gregg

See, it's a better idea than I even thought... :woot.gif: Sorry, not really up to snuff of Current Naval inventory. What was the ship that that Eli dude first took his pusher plane off of? Is that currently a serving ship's name? That would be fitting to celebrate 50 years. It was a State name wasn't it so I guess it might be a Sub now days??? Showing my ignorance here.

Bill

So, now we have a U.S.S. Ford Class, when are the Chevy's coming out? OR the U.S.S. Toyota? I know, the U.S.S. Pontiac...(it's a retired name so it's fair game)

You were kidding, right? Remember President Gerald Ford?

Anyway, I have to agree with Expat Tomcat. That might be wierd, but I think most kids have other things to think about besides "Murphy's Law", and the old salts would put an end to such scuttlebutt in a hurry. That said, there was a USS Murphy during WWII, and now there is a new one, albeit called the USS Michael Murphy. (I know, it was mentioned above.)

WWII ship named after Civil War Navy vet John McLeod Murphy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Murphy_(DD-603)

Current ship named after MOH recipient LT Michael P. Murphy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Michael_Murphy_(DDG-112)

Mark

Edited by F106A

Call me superstitious if you will but,as a squid, I'd personally have a problem sailing aboard any ship named U.S.S. Murphy. Seems to tempt the fates just a little too much for my taste, it'd be the "U.S.S. Murphy's Law" in a hot minute. Deserved or not, that last thing you want on board a ship is the idea that your ship is jinxed, it leads to unwanted distraction. Aircraft carriers are a seriously dangerous environment, there are a 1000 ways to die aboard one. No amount of reality can rip the perception of a jinxed ship from it's crew, and that name already has one foot firmly planted in the jinxed dept. Sailors are a traditionally and historically superstitious lot, why feed that monster when you could avoid it.

Honestly, half of Americans would think you named it after Robocop's erstwhile pre-cyborg identity, Officer Murphy. You think I'm kidding, but there was an internet drive to raise money for a Robocop statue in Detroit, while Henry Ford's Model T plant rots. And I'll bet several of John Wayne's characters--Rooster Cogburn, Captain Nathan Brittles--would be instantly voted for as a carrier name by half the Americans here.

Amusingly, generations of kids wonder why they have to learn Shakespeare. It's a bunch of old stuff nobody cares about, right? Really? Through one rendition or another, most of us have a vague idea of who Hamlet or Macbeth "was," while few people here (without rushing out to the interwebz) could name too many Elizabethan English public officials. So really, in the long run, who turned out to be "more important?" A bunch of action-drama characters played by actors, or government leaders?

So in light of that, I recommend the next Aircraft Carrier be named the John Rambo.

Just as long as it's not the U.S.S. George W. Bush. I'm afraid the ships motto would be his famous quote,"My chance needs a plan to work!" Yes, that's a direct quote and it is correctly written.

You were kidding, right? Remember President Gerald Ford?

Mark

Bingo! Yes I was kidding. It was apparently a crummy play on words. I remember Gerald Ford (and I feel Chevy Chase played a better Ford then Ford did but I digress) Having said that, you know probably in 20 years or so some kid is going to be assigned to the U.S.S. Ford and might really be surprised to find out it's not named after a car. It could happen.

And nobody busted me on the 50 years celebration?!?!? You guys are way too kind.

Bill

Get a grip.

The latest USN destroyer is named after a Murphy that gave his life in combat and in doing so, won the CMH. What a load of BS. I'd be proud to sail on ship with his name but I'm not a squid so I guess I just don't see the logic (or lack thereof) behind a statement like that. Try telling that spiel to his family, see how they take it.

"I'm sorry folks but some of our sailors are a bit superstitious so while we really appreciate your son/husband's sacrifice, we don't want to upset anyone. Therefore, we decided he isn't worth having a ship named after him."

Shheeeesh....

Just as long as it's not the U.S.S. George W. Bush. I'm afraid the ships motto would be his famous quote,"My chance needs a plan to work!" Yes, that's a direct quote and it is correctly written.

It should be noted though, that unlike JFK... He did land on an Aircraft Carrier :sunrevolves:

If you really want to start crossing off politicians if they ever say something stupid, there will never be another anything named for them anywhere:

"A zebra does not change its spots." - Al Gore

''It depends on what the meaning of the words 'is' is.''

—Bill Clinton, during his 1998 grand jury testimony on the Monica Lewinsky affair

''My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize.''

—Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) expressing concern during a congressional hearing that the presence of a large number of American soldiers might upend the island of Guam

"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go." -- Sen. Obama, at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon

''I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base.''

—Hillary Clinton, on visiting Bosnia in 1996, contradicting other accounts that said there was no threat of gunfire. Clinton later said she ''misspoke.''

"Stand up, Chuck, let 'em see ya." --Joe Biden, to Missouri state Sen. Chuck Graham, who is in a wheelchair, Columbia, Missouri, Sept. 12, 2008

"You know that old Beach Boys song, Bomb Iran? Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran." - Sen. McCain (Who is a former naval Aviator)

"They are also building schools for the Afghan children so that there is hope and opportunity in our neighboring country of Afghanistan." Sarah Palin

"Trains are not any more energy efficient than the average automobile, with both getting about 48 passenger miles to the gallon."

--Ronald Reagan, quoted in the Chicago Tribune, May 10, 1980

''There is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe.''

—President Gerald Ford, in a 1976 presidential debate with Jimmy Carter

''For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks.''

—President George H.W. Bush, in 1988

Maybe Michael Jordan hasn't made an indelible impression on everyone outside Chicago. Speaking at a D.C. function, Vice President Al Gore, wowed by the Bulls, said: "I tell you that Michael Jackson is unbelievable, isn't he. He's just unbelievable."

( Source: The Chicago Tribune June 17, 1998 )

We can play this game all day. A lot of quotes just get forgotten over time so only the most recent idiotic stuff is remembered. JFK gets a break because he was assassinated and because the press was a lot more friendly to politicains back then --Hence him cheating on his wife was never exposed. Nixon Changed that relationship with the press as many presidents have learned ever since.

You squids are so kooky.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

See, it's a better idea than I even thought... :woot.gif: Sorry, not really up to snuff of Current Naval inventory. What was the ship that that Eli dude first took his pusher plane off of? Is that currently a serving ship's name? That would be fitting to celebrate 50 years. It was a State name wasn't it so I guess it might be a Sub now days??? Showing my ignorance here.

Bill

USS Birmingham ...

From Wiki:

U.S. naval aviation began with pioneer aviator Glenn Curtiss who contracted with the Navy to demonstrate that airplanes could take off from and land aboard ships at sea. One of his pilots, Eugene Ely, took off from the USS Birmingham (CL-2) anchored off the Virginia coast in November 1910. Two months later Ely landed aboard another cruiser USS Pennsylvania (ACR-4) in San Francisco Bay, proving the concept of shipboard operations. However, the platforms erected on those vessels were temporary measures. The U.S. Navy and Glenn Curtis experienced two firsts during January 1911. On January 27, Curtiss flew the first seaplane from the water at San Diego bay and the next day U.S. Navy Lt Theodore G. “Spuds†Ellyson, a student at the nearby Curtiss School, took off in a Curtiss “grass cutter†plane to become the first Naval aviator. Meanwhile, Captain Henry C. Mustin successfully designed the concept of the catapult launch, and in 1915 made the first catapult launching from a ship underway. Through most of World War I, the world's navies relied upon floatplanes and flying boats for heavier-than-air craft. Genuine aircraft carriers did not emerge beyond Britain until the early 1920s.[2]

HTH, Bill ...

Gregg

My dad served on the JFK and the Saratoga. His response to the CVN-79 news- "At least they didn't name it Saratoga. We don't need another carrier that sinks at the pier."

Poor Saratoga. She doesn't have many fans.

As awesome as the naming rights suggestion is (USS Boost Mobile has a nice ring to it), I'll cast another vote for CVN-80 to be named Enterprise. I also hope CVN-65 will become a museum representing all the Enterprises; unceremoniously scrapping the CV-6 deprived us all of being able to stand on her deck and experience the thrill of being physically connected to an enormously important piece of naval history. A CVN-65 museum would at least provide a place where the history of the name can be celebrated and remembered.

I'll cast another vote for CVN-80 to be named Enterprise. I also hope CVN-65 will become a museum representing all the Enterprises; unceremoniously scrapping the CV-6 deprived us all of being able to stand on her deck and experience the thrill of being physically connected to an enormously important piece of naval history. A CVN-65 museum would at least provide a place where the history of the name can be celebrated and remembered.

I like the way you think

I thought at one time there was actually a law against naming a ship after someone who is still alive. That seems like a good idea. Live people can get themselves into mischif, and then what do you do? Rename the ship? I also don't like the trend of naming ships after presidents. I was appalled when Clinton named CVN-75 the USS Harry Truman. Truman was ex Army, and the Truman administration precipitated the Admirals' Revolt in 1949 when it cancelled the planned super carrier USS United States in favor of B-36 production.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,853921-1,00.html

I can't think of a worse person to name an aircraft carrier after. An Air Force base sure, but an aircraft carrier??? And the final bit of irony, before CVN-75 was renamed "Harry Truman", her intended name when her keel was laid was to be "USS United States".

Edited by Rocky