Gents..one of the legacy tools of our hobby is stretched sprue. I used to use it but havent really needed it for many years. I decided a had a need for it and tried to stretch some sprue the other night. I keep pulling the plastic apart and never could really get it to stretch out. Can someone give me a quick primer? how close to the flame? when to start pulling etc etc. I know this should be like riding a bike but I failed. thanks!!

A slight variation that might or might not be easier:

Instead of heating the sprue in the middle, heat it on one end until the plastic is all melty and shiny.

Then, stick the hot, gooey sprue end onto a sheet of cardboard, wait for a second and then pull the other end.

How rapid you start pulling determines the thickness of the stretched product, pull fast - it's thin; pull slower - it's thicker.

You can get more stretched sprue out of one sprue because you don't need a "handle" at both ends. Just keep breaking the streched part off and heating the same end over again. You can whip out a bunch of lengths of the stuff all stuck to the same piece of cardboard.

Saw that on a model ship site where they were using it for rigging.

Man, never could master that. I must practice it. Everytime I try I either burn the sprue or it breaks when I start to stretch it.

I had the same problem until I discovered one detail that no one had mentioned...once the plastic is soft, move it away from the flame before you stretch it. Also, I continuously roll the sprue between my fingers when heating and moving away from the flame, right up until I start to pull it.

HTH

I had the same problem until I discovered one detail that no one had mentioned...once the plastic is soft, move it away from the flame before you stretch it. Also, I continuously roll the sprue between my fingers when heating and moving away from the flame, right up until I start to pull it.

HTH

Cool, I'll try that. Thank you.

Yep, sticking it to cardboard is a new one to me.

I also roll mine and definitely take it away from the flame, while rolling you can judge the viscosity (?) of the plastic to get the desired thickness needed.

If you break your sprue you can always melt it back together, just get it melted/shiny stick them together and give them a roll between the fingers and your off.

Also the old Monogram plastic is the best, so keep the sprue's from your old Monogram kits and if you have an F-20 that is like gold, you'll have nice metallic threads using their metal flake steel grey.

You can also stretch plastic tubing to get thin tubes :} I've even stretched channel and angle iron to get real fine shapes that they normally don't sale.

Curt

A slight variation that might or might not be easier:

Instead of heating the sprue in the middle, heat it on one end until the plastic is all melty and shiny.

Then, stick the hot, gooey sprue end onto a sheet of cardboard, wait for a second and then pull the other end.

How rapid you start pulling determines the thickness of the stretched product, pull fast - it's thin; pull slower - it's thicker.

You can get more stretched sprue out of one sprue because you don't need a "handle" at both ends. Just keep breaking the streched part off and heating the same end over again. You can whip out a bunch of lengths of the stuff all stuck to the same piece of cardboard.

Saw that on a model ship site where they were using it for rigging.

That is an excellent method I honestly never hit on. Thanks for sharing that!

Hi,

Something else to consider is that different manufacturers sprues stretch differently.

I've had difficulty stretching the sprue out of my Trumpeter kits since it seems to melt very easily but the sprue in the new Revell Hawk stretches beautifully.

HTH

:cheers:

Also - not all styrene is created equal. Some stretches much better than other. The higher the vinyl content (ie: the softer the styrene) the better it will stretch.

FWIW, if you twizzle one end of the sprue quickly as you rotate it and hold it firm until it cools, you can, with practice, get the stretched sprue to take on a twisted appearance which looks a bit like rope for use in a diorama.

Heat until sprue section turns shiny. (People roll the sprue in the flame to heat it evenly/faster) Remove from heat. (Candle flame) Pull slow for thicker sprue, pull faster for thinner. It takes about 2 or 3 tries, but you get the feel very fast, and there is more effort in typing this than actually doing it. Easy-peasy. :D

NOTE that is not me!

Aw, yeh; we all know it's indeed ya, Marty... :lol: Need not be ashamed, matey! In this beautiful hobby, the older ya are, the more interestin it is, really. :coolio:Ya hear, paps?

You can also stretch plastic tubing to get thin tubes :} I've even stretched channel and angle iron to get real fine shapes that they normally don't sale.

:woot.gif:Noooiiiceee piece of info, Curt! Which brand 'n' diameter o' plastic tubin' d'ya use to work with, Evergreen or Plastruct? Any special technique in order to stretch tubin' when heatin' it? Or is the technique quite the same as Marty shows on his video, along with the modellin' fella on his right? :P

Cheers, blokes

Unc²

[...]

:woot.gif:Noooiiiceee piece of info, Curt! Which brand 'n' diameter o' plastic tubin' d'ya use to work with, Evergreen or Plastruct? Any special technique in order to stretch tubin' when heatin' it? Or is the technique quite the same as Marty shows on his video, along with the modellin' fella on his right? :P

Cheers, blokes

Unc²

For the tubing, try q-tips/cotton swabs with plastic handles.

Cheers

Thorsten

For the tubing, try q-tips/cotton swabs with plastic handles.

:blink: Thorsten...? With plastic handles? Me ain't gotten it "them" concept, mate. :wacko:

Comin' "they're" conclusions, anyone?

Danke schön, mein Freund.

Unc²

Also - not all styrene is created equal. Some stretches much better than other. The higher the vinyl content (ie: the softer the styrene) the better it will stretch.

Totally agree!! Very rarely, if ever, will I use anything else other than sprue from a Tamiya kit. This is not to say sprue from other manufacturers won't work, it's just that based on my own personal experience Tamiya's sprue is the easiest for me to work with.

Yes, the different brands stretch differently. And it takes a bit of practice.

Until this past weekend, I hadn't stretched sprue for a few years. My first attempts were hopeless; it just broke every time and just wouldn't stretch. So I tried another sprue and it was wonderful. It was from a Hasegawa kit. After a few tries I could get it so fine I could hardly see it which is just perfect for my 1/72 scale model, although delicate to work with.

Warwick

OK To make thicker sprue, heat until glossy and isn't too limp. Pull slower and staedy. To make thin sprue, heat until glossy, and it goes limp. Pull steady and quicker than before and there you have it.

Really, it's easier to just try than to type this, and read it... :coolio: