Tex Hill's P-51B "Bullfrog I"

So here's my In Progress thread for my Sharkmouth build.

David "Tex" Hill earned his wings as a U.S. Naval Aviator in 1939 and joined the fleet as a Devastator torpedo bomber pilot before joining a Dauntless dive bomber squadron aboard the USS Ranger. In 1941, he was recruited to join the 1st American Volunteer Group (AVG) . He learned to fly the P-40 in the AVG training program in Burma. By the time the AVG was disbanded in the summer of 1942, Hill was a double ace, credited with 12 ΒΌ victories.

On Thanksgiving Day 1943, he led a force of 12 B-25's, 10 P-38's, and 8 new P-51's from Saichwan, China, on the first strike against Formosa. The Japanese had 100 bombers and 100 fighters located at Shimchiku Airfield, and the bombers were landing as Hill's force arrived. The enemy managed to get seven fighters airborne, but they were promptly shot down. Forty-two Japanese airplanes were destroyed, and 12 more were probably destroyed in the attack. The American force returned home with no casualties.

After the deactivation of the Flying Tigers in July 1942, Hill was one of only five Flying Tigers to join its USAAF successor, the USAAF 23rd Fighter Group with the rank of major. He activated the 75th Fighter Squadron and later commanded the 23rd Fighter Group as a Colonel. Before returning to the states in late 1944, Hill and his P-51 shot down another six Japanese aircraft. Hill was credited with destroying a total of 18.25 enemy aircraft.

In 1944, Hill returned to the U.S. and took command of the 412th Fighter Group, America's first operational jet fighter group flying the P-59 Airacomet and the P-80 Shooting Star. He separated from active service in 1945.

Col 'Tex' Hill, CO of the 23rd FG, took one of the first P-51Bs (43-124051) as his personal aircraft and named it "BULLFROG I" which was a pet name Tex had for his wife Mazie, as her voice was a bit "baritone." There are a few pictures floating around the net that show a different -B Mustang that had a different sharkmouth painted on it. I think they were a/c he flew a bit later in his career. It is also unclear if the name painted on the cowling is "Bullfrog I" or "Bullfrog !" and from this picture (the only one I've been able to find of 312405) it's hard to tell which it is, hence the mystery I suppose.

BullfrogI.jpg

2.jpg

Most likely be building this one OOB

AMP-51B.jpg

Obligitory sprue shots:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Let the sprue cutting begin!

Edited by blunce

I had though about this one but didn't like the multi coloured nose cone. To much effort for me :bandhead2: Love the P-51 with teeth though.

I got this decal sheet with an AM P-51A bundle (other aftermarket stuff too), but there are no -A's on that sheet. I like that this particular mouth design is a bit different than most you see. No downturn at the end of it. I'm just gonna put my head in the sand until it comes time to battle the tri-color spinner! :whistle:

If you can buy a circle cutter you should be sweet to do it. A matter of cutting the right diameter for the white and working either side of it from there. Convenient given the spinner is in two parts.

• 3 months later...

Ok, with this one the second to last post of all the posts here in the Group Build, I figure it's time for an update.

With the Scorpion outta the way, I've been able to make some progress on Bullfrog, and here it is. Originally this was to be the primary build, with the F-89 being secondary. But I got hung up on cockpit color, and though it seems there is no definitive answer, some say that all -A's and early -B's and -C's had Dark Dull Green cockpits, while others say it never happened and all Mustangs had Interior Green. Well, I finally decided to go with DDG if for nothing else, at least to be different.

The kit comes with a clear instrument panel and no decals, so I had to carefully pick out the details with white, then add "Future" glass to it. A decal is provided for the seat belts, but I can't stand the way they look, so in order to keep this in OOB status for IPMS contests, I went ahead and scratch built some belts for it instead of using PE like I would've much rather done. I HATE making seat belts, but not as much as using decal belts. One other thing I discovered about the AM kit, is that there is no pilots armor included in the kit. I thought this was perhaps because some a/c didn't have it, so I didn't build one for it. It's too late now, but I'll have to do some more checking to see if they all should have the armor or not.

Got the fuselage halves closed up and the wings on, will be working on the seams and getting stuff cleaned up in preparation for primer here real soon.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by blunce

Well, as you know, having lamented over the cockpit color and finally decided on DDG without proper photographic references and the blessing of a committee vote, you have violated Title 42, para. 14, sec. 12 of the RCoA (Rivet Counters of America) bylaws and therefore are stripped of your membership and will no longer enjoy the benefits and privileges afforded to true, Master Modeler Rivet Counters.

You are hereby ordered to report to the Pit of Despair, to which you will be flung into with extreme malice by twelve, middle aged, over weight socially dysfuntional virgins.

I hope you're happy with yourself! :angry:

Really nice work BTW...

Edited by Grenadier37
  • 1 month later...

Well, as you know, having lamented over the cockpit color and finally decided on DDG without proper photographic references and the blessing of a committee vote, you have violated Title 42, para. 14, sec. 12 of the RCoA (Rivet Counters of America) bylaws and therefore are stripped of your membership and will no longer enjoy the benefits and privileges afforded to true, Master Modeler Rivet Counters.

You are hereby ordered to report to the Pit of Despair, to which you will be flung into with extreme malice by twelve, middle aged, over weight socially dysfuntional virgins.

I hope you're happy with yourself! :angry:

Really nice work BTW...

the worst part is I just paid my yearly dues! Ok, no, the worst part may be the over weight socially dysfuntional virgins!sign_trolls.gif

Well, seein's how it's been quiet enough to hear a mouse fart in here, I thought I'd post a bit of progress I've made. Short on time= short on progress pics. Obviously I've done alot of work since the last update, but here's an update nonetheless. Pretty much just need to dirty her up a bit, throw some legs on 'er, get the prop and spinner done, and add the fiddly bits. Stay tuned!

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Full set of pics here: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=241186

Thanks Deacon!

Thanks Kris. The camera is a Minolta Dimage 7. In it's day, it was a pretty darn good camera I think. It's about 10 years old now, but as you can see, with a tripod, timed shutter and tweaked settings, it can take some pretty good pics.