Zvezda and Revell 787 Dreamliner

As Jelle suggested in his tread, I like to share my build of the Zvezda and Revell 787 Dreamliner.

The two kits are identical. Revell has used the Zvezda molds to produce their 787. Revell's is molded in white plastic and Zvezda's in light gray. The surface of the Revell model feels a bit smoother then Zvezda's. The plastic used for the Revell model is a bit harder then that of Zvesda's. You will notice it when glueing one or the other. Revell's doesn't melt as quickly as Zvezda's. The cockpit wind screen and cabin windows are of an even softer kind of plastic which can easily be bent without cracking. This is especially handy when placing the windscreen. Downside is, is that it is very hard to sand it down, which is needed for the cabin windows in my case. When the cabine windows are placed, they stick out on the outside. Trying to sand them flush isn't easy and takes some time. I actually cut the lefthand rear windows with a scalpel blade.

Upside of these models is that they are top notch engineered. An example of how civilian models should be made. The fuselage halfs are only attached to the sprue at the bottom, so you don't have any marks on the top of the fuselage to file and sand down or fill. Locating holes and pins are small and hardly leave sink marks. Fit is excellent. Then the engines. Truly beautiful. Pictures then.

Engine parts. Fan blade can rotate when finished.

Dreamliner9.jpg

No glue yet.

Dreamliner8.jpg

I'm planning on building the Zvezda in the Boeing House color as featured on the Daco Skyline decal sheet nr. SKY144-69 and Revell's as featured on the box or an airliners livery.

In the Revell 787 I'm planning some representation of the cockpit. Maybe lights.

More pic's sone.

Rob.

Edited by Robert K

Nice! I think the Revell moulding quality is a little bit better than Zvezda's. On my kit I had some severe warping of the vertical stabilizer. However, I discovered I like working with grey plastic instead of white as it gives a better view on sinkmarks etc.

Revell's fan blades are the same as Zvezda's. two parts. Thinking of installing bearings.

There's no sound in that video,gladly. Otherwise you would have heard me huffin' n puffin' till I nearly fainted :wacko:

This is the Zvezda engine.

Rob. Edited by Robert K

A little update.

As I said in my previous post I want to make a representation of the cockpit in the Revell kit. Here is test fitting the basic cabin wall and floor.

I will be adding instrument panel, middel- and side consoles and seats.

787%20Windows4.jpg

I added some weight to be sure they sit on all gears. I also want to make sure that my airliners don't sound like rattle cans.

Weight1.jpg

Weight2.jpg

On the Zvezda kit, I installed the wind screen. In my previous post, I said that the clear plastic is soft. This comes in handy because the screen is a bit wide when you fit it.

Squeezing it inward on both sides makes it sit flush but pushes it forward which means that you have to smooth it out at the front.

787%20Windows1.jpg

The tape was where the Tamiya surfacer ends. I replaced it before sanding to protect the screen and rain gutters above the doors. Not finished yet, needs some more filling and sanding, also on the bottom of the screen.

You can see the finely engraved panel lines on the fuselage, also one of the good features of these kits.

That's it for today.

Rob.