Guess I'll get my wip thread going. Not sure when I'll start cause soon as I start I'll finish. I'm like that.

Anyway kit will be straight oob. Got this from HobbyLobby after Christmas. Opened it up last night and removed the fuselages from both my kits to compare.

Idk much about P-40s but the N kit is longer by a substantial amount. Idk if that's just the kit differences or if they're actually like that. Both kits look very detailed for 72nd kits though!

On to the kit.

Spruey goodness...

DSCN2827.jpg

The differences between the two fuses... Academy kit on top.

DSCN2826.jpg

And a quick Google found this...

curtis-p40e-kittyhawk-1a-fighter.jpg

K

Edited by Bigasshammm

The length difference is because the rudder and vertical tailplane was moved back on the mid production Fs and subsequent models for a stability issue. I don't know about the kits in question as far as accuracy issues, but the N should be longer than an E. notice that the horizontal tailplanes did not move back as much as the vertical tail surfaces.

McLents

Well I sprayed some ZC on all the parts I believe to be ZC. Will start detail painting later. BUT (there's always a but) I found that my P-40N has no decals at all. I'll look through my spares but I'm pretty sure I don't have any. Will have to purchase some then. I also sprayed a 72nd P-47 so I may look and see if there are any sharkmouth decals for a Jug. I don't want to spend a lot though so we'll see. Hopefully the Buy/Sell/Spares forums can help me out.

Well I sprayed some ZC on all the parts I believe to be ZC. Will start detail painting later. BUT (there's always a but) I found that my P-40N has no decals at all. I'll look through my spares but I'm pretty sure I don't have any. Will have to purchase some then. I also sprayed a 72nd P-47 so I may look and see if there are any sharkmouth decals for a Jug. I don't want to spend a lot though so we'll see. Hopefully the Buy/Sell/Spares forums can help me out.

Bummer! Don't ya hate it when that happens?! Somehow I managed to misplace a set of Two Bobs "Too Cool for School Mudhens" sheet that I know I put in the box, now they are MIA. Hopefully someone has something for ya. Can't say I've ever seen a Jug with a sharkmouth though.

The length difference is because the rudder and vertical tailplane was moved back on the mid production Fs and subsequent models for a stability issue. I don't know about the kits in question as far as accuracy issues, but the N should be longer than an E. notice that the horizontal tailplanes did not move back as much as the vertical tail surfaces.

McLents

I stand to be corrected but I have always thought it was only the tail that moved back, the elevators stayed in the same place. I've seen builds done of the later models from a E with only the tail being relocated & so figured that was the way it was.

Steve.

Just a word of warning if you don't already know. The Academy decals are known to be thick as cardboard. Not a huge issue with most of the decals but surely to be an issue with the nose decal. I look forward to seeing the rest of your build.

If you compare the nose to the tailplane attachment point, you'll find the E and N are almost the same length. It's really right at the tail point that it was extended. This was for greater stability as they tried putting more powerful engines in. They thought it was a good addition and included it in most F and later models.

As for the photo you posted, that's a "warbird" -- a modern restoration and not a historic representation. The real craft was a P-40E with those markings.

I've built your Academy kit. It's nice. There are a couple of minor areas to putty, mostly right where the upper wing fillets attach to the lower wing assembly, and the oil cooler area on the nose right at this point. You may need to putty the tail fins as well. The gear attachment areas are sparse, and you may have to guess as to where the tiny doors go because there wasn't much help in the instructions.

The only real problem you may have is the decals. They are horribly thin and the white shows the underlying olive drab through quite easily. I tried to touch mine up with a brush and white paint afterwards, but it did not help. Also the decals are picky and did not want to 1) conform properly or 2) stay down once dried. I had to use a LOT of solvaset on the nose to get the decals to fit the curve of the cowling and the chin. You will have to be very careful, or perhaps find after-market (I really think that's a better option).

Barring that... If you can it might help to paint white under the area you're going to apply the decal, apply the decal, fix it (clear coat, or Future it) and once fully cured mask it off, and then paint the green on top. Remove the mask and you're set! (I haven't tried this method but I've pondered it since doing my kit).

Edited by Mark M.

OK, BigAssHammm, please PM me as I have a set of sharkmouth decals (leftover from an AVG sheet) which is yours to use in this GB.

Second, there have been several P-47 Thunderbolts with teeth and one even had a cat face!

The_Bug_2.jpg

The_Bug%5B1%5D.jpg

Above is P-47D-20-RE, Serial 42-76553, 510FS, 405FG

RepublicP-47Thunderbolt525thFS86thF.jpg

Here is another razorback.

P47FABBolivia.jpg

The Bolivian example did not fly and was painted on for the gate guardian duty.

Honey Bucket Joe had a face painted on so I am not sure if that counts. Another had a cat face painted on with a tongue. Both were later models with the bubble top. I also have two more but the sharkmouth on each is on the drop tanks.

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

I stand to be corrected but I have always thought it was only the tail that moved back, the elevators stayed in the same place. I've seen builds done of the later models from a E with only the tail being relocated & so figured that was the way it was.

Steve.

Yep, I apologize, I didn't word that well. The extension only applied to the vertical tail plane surfaces. The first try at stability was the tail fillet on the K, although the designer was never convinced it was necessary. moving the vertical tail plane back seemed to satisfy all concerned, at least according to my sources.........

McL

Sweet.

Thanks everyone for the info and pictures. I'll probably just do a traditional P-47. I'll give the kit decals a try and if they don't work out I'll scrap them and order something from somewhere.

Sharkmouth I will PM you here in a minute.

I got a lot of work done today and am actually almost ready for paint on the Academy plane.

I'll start working on the 40N here also and get that buttoned up. I had no filler required on the Academy and only minor sanding. Mostly my fault.

Took pics but haven't uploaded them yet. 3 year old has been driving me absolutely CRAZY today. If I had hair I'd have pulled it out.

Alright so I went to post pictures last night and the camera died. So here goes.

Work on the Academy...

DSCN2851.jpg

DSCN2852.jpg

DSCN2859.jpg

DSCN2860.jpg

DSCN2861.jpg

Overall a very nice kit for a 1/72 WWII. Being so small usually there is no cockpit detail at all so I was surprised they had some detail on the sidewalls and the ip was raised and not a decal.

Now the Hase/Minicraft...

Very spartan cockpit in it so I spent 0 time on it aside from air brushing it zc.

DSCN2863.jpg

DSCN2864.jpg

As good as the fit was on the Academy I was pleasantly surprised that it was even better on this ancient bird. Very minimal sanding and all joints are sealed up nicely. I also ran into with the gear doors you would need to cut them to display it in gears down spec so I said forget it and she'll be an in flight model. Gear doors were glued on after the last picture and they fit perfectly as well which is a total shock! I just need to paint up the little pilot that came with it now since it will be in flight.

DSCN2865.jpg

Both of them together. Academy's ready for paint. The Hase is nearly. But both canopies need masked so that will take me about 2 years. GRRR

K

"Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.........."

So the Hase/Mini P-40N is turning into a nightmare. No decals. Now I discover there is no nose cone. I have the propeller the back plate and the little ring to attach to allow it to spin. The most important piece the nose cone is missing.

Gonna post something in the spares so we'll see. I've got a junk 72nd Mess 109 that I could cannibalize the propeller from. It looks roughly the same size except for the cannon hole in the center. I could qualify that as a field mod!

First off, do you have markings for both? I pulled the envelope out of the mailbox just in case you need a second set of decals. I will look in my junker box. If I haven't tossed them out, I may have an old Airfix P-38 propeller with spinner.

Regards,

The Academy I have everything for as it was brand new bought from Hobby Lobby after Christmas.

The P-40N I got in a multi kit sale here on ARC. The spinner may have been with it and I may have lost it Idk.

If the 38 spinner is the same general size it should work. I removed the prop from the 109 I have and it's comically large. I don't think this 109 is 1/72 and more like 1/60th or something. I could still remove the props from the 109's spinner and just sand the hell out of it so either way I should be able to do something. Or I form my own spinner out of sculpting epoxy but that's a lot of work.

Also side note:

This P-47 which is the same old Hase/Minicraft is completely in Japanese. lol So I have no idea on paint colors or anything for the kit decals. Will have to look up pictures.

Ha

It also has the gear doors which need cut so I may have it in flight as well and just pose it flying with the P-40 on a cork base or something simple.

Edited by Bigasshammm

Not all spinner cones are the same. In fact, most vary wildly in size. A Bf109E spinner, for example, would be small compared to a P-40N. A Bf109F or later model had a much larger spinner, and would dward the diameter of the P-40N.

A P-38 has (at least from looks) narrow and pointed spinners. The P-40 is wide and bullet-shaped, so I don't think they would fit.

Not all spinner cones are the same. In fact, most vary wildly in size. A Bf109E spinner, for example, would be small compared to a P-40N. A Bf109F or later model had a much larger spinner, and would dward the diameter of the P-40N.

A P-38 has (at least from looks) narrow and pointed spinners. The P-40 is wide and bullet-shaped, so I don't think they would fit.

Yeah at this point accuracy is out the window. The 109 spinner I have could work if I removed the props and used the kit props and also sanded it down substantially. So I guess we'll see.

The decals I'm going to use on her aren't for a P-40N so it's and N in name only. I think I'll just start calling it a P-40.

lol

The decals I'm going to use on her aren't for a P-40N so it's and N in name only. I think I'll just start calling it a P-40.

If you are going to use the decals I send, they are designed for the P-40E. However, the cowl section is the same on the P-40N so they will fit. Being the N, I will try to scrounge up some USAAC markings instead of the Chinese ones I was about to send.

Regards,

Saúl

So apparently there's a Quickboost prop and spinner set available so I picked one up from SprueBrothers for 6$. I also ordered some P-47D decals! There's a little surprise in there for you all when she's done.

Thanks for all the help.