LF Recommendation: High Quality Micro File Set

I'm trying to find some high quality files to replace my Excel files in a pencil case set. Specifically I'm trying to find a set with clean, sharp corners with a fine "grit". I tend to round off corners with sanding sticks and I think with the right file set I can step up my game a bit. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

How 'bout these?

81845_R.jpg

This is jeweler's quality micro file set; includes a beautifully machined aluminum handle with non-slip knurled grips, precision collet and pocket clip. Compartment inside handle stores files conveniently and safely. Includes 12 4 inch long micro-slim needle files in assorted shapes. 5-3/4 inch long handle. Price? $22.50

Nicky, huh...? That's a noooiiiceee set. :thumbsup: Whut 'bout the Excel files ya've got? Any piccies?

Cheers now,

Unc²

After looking into needle files a bit more I guess what I'd really like to know is how well Swiss Pattern Cut 4 and 6 files work on plastic. Cuts 4 and 6 are very fine and I think they would clog up a bit. They do tend to be expensive, ~$8 for the smallest needle files to around $14 for the larger needle files.

How 'bout these?

81845_R.jpg

This is jeweler's quality micro file set; includes a beautifully machined aluminum handle with non-slip knurled grips, precision collet and pocket clip. Compartment inside handle stores files conveniently and safely. Includes 12 4 inch long micro-slim needle files in assorted shapes. 5-3/4 inch long handle. Price? $22.50

Nicky, huh...? That's a noooiiiceee set. :thumbsup: Whut 'bout the Excel files ya've got? Any piccies?

Cheers now,

Unc²

The Excel set I have looks exactly like the one in the photo though my set came with fewer files.

They do tend to be expensive, ~$8 for the smallest needle files to around $14 for the larger needle files.

:blink: That's an estimated price for each file, me infers... Are these Swiss micro files, Nick? Any linkies to 'em, mate, please?

:blink: That's an estimated price for each file, me infers... Are these Swiss micro files, Nick? Any linkies to 'em, mate, please?

Yep, that's for one file. More specifically I'm looking at Grobet Swiss Pattern files. If this link works it will take you to Artco's Grobet needle file page:

Grobet Needle Files at Artco

I have found that the quality of the tools used by jewellery manufactures and goldsmiths to be considerably better than those sold in hobby stores, departmental stores and hardware stores. A good friend of mine is a jewellery manufacturer and introduced me to the professional tools. We have two main suppliers of jewellery tools and supplies in my area (Vancouver, Canada) and I find the tools to be truly excellent. I am sure that such suppliers are to be found in most major cities.

I highly recommend you do a quick google search for a supplier in your area and visit them. The range of files and the varying grades of cut (course through very fine) of each style is great (I use the finer ones). And they are no more expensive than the good hobby files.

And while there you can check out all the other amazing tools and supplies suitable for modelling. My latest discovery is a two-part epoxy glue called "Epoxy 330". Just wonderful! It sets up absolutely perfectly clear and is very strong. After all, it is meant to hold precious stones in jewellery. It is slow setting which I like because it gives you plenty of working time but I can see some folks finding that a disadvantage.

Warwick

Edited by wdw