This is an old 48th scale Hasegawa kit that a buddy gave me. He had had it laying around for years but never got into building and was about to trash it. How nice of him to give it to me!! It is an older kit with raised panel lines. I used Aeromaster decals. The original decal sheet had yellowed and I needed the stencils, so I kept it out in the sun for a few days to take the yellow out. It worked well and the stencils were saved. The cockpit tub is aftermarket as well but I can't remember what brand. I used Model Master enamels for the main finish and for the area behind the tailpipes I used Model Master Metalizers. After the grey was applied I highlighted the raised panel lines with a #2 pencil. I then applied an acrylic/dish soap wash to the wheel hubs, the area in front of the intakes plus any spot that had an engraved detail. I then sprayed on a semi-gloss clear laquer to seal it all in. Kit was time consuming but very worthwhile.

5800497060_83ef355646_z.jpg

5800496960_47087b091d_z.jpg

5799944049_54b9706f89_z.jpg

Edited by Plano Guy

Great job on this bird!

I have the VMFA-251 decal set as well for an up and coming F-4J project for my uncle was a RIO in that particular squadron. Seeing your bird is inspiring me to move up my Phantom project. :thumbsup:

Hey Model Junky

If you're talking about the Aeromaster sheet, you may want to keep my user-ID handy. I had two of the decals shread on me, including the one on the right side of the vertcal stab. I had to order a second sheet on ebay since it appears to have been discontinued. I still have that second sheet so if you wind up shreading any, send me a message and I can help. Just make sure you don't mess up the one on the right side of the stab or the black 'C' shaped decal that goes behind the canopy. Those are the two I had to use.

Good luck on your build and Kudos to you're Uncle!