Revell 1/48 scale B24J is coming out again

While I'm not quite as well versed in the details of B-24 variants and production blocks as you are, I do agree with you that a proper B-24H-FO (in 1/48 and/or 1/72) would be most welcome. You really can't build most ETO "turret nose" B-24s from any existing kit (wihtout some major rhinoplasty, anyway!)

Unfortunately, model companies are going to go with the most (for them) cost-effective option. That usually means releasing a generic version of a given subject, and calling it whatever the markings are (Hasegawa relased their 1/72 Wildcat as an F4F-3, but all they did was toss in some different decals with the F4F-4 kit..and the two variants have some major differences.) The truth is, most of those who have purchased the Monogram B-24"J" over the years (and those who will buy it in the future) dont realize the difference between an H, J, or even an M. As long as the kit sells well enough to make Revell/Monogram a profit, then there's no incentive for them to make major modifications to the molds.

SN

I remember when I bought and built mine back in the mid-70s, it looked like a B-24J and that was plenty good enough for me. I imagine most of those who get one nowadays will feel the same way. It wasn't an easy build, but I remember being amazed at all the detail! Loved that tow tractor, too…

If Monogram/Revell was smart, they'd go into business doing their own after-market basically... as it would not be that difficult to tool up smaller conversion and detail sets for some of their more popular kits, especially the B-17 and B-24. Obviously a completely new kit would be expensive, but new moulds for doing different noses, turrets, etc. surely would be a fraction of the cost perhaps?

The now-defunct Meteor Productions did a "Ford Nose" in clear resin for the Mono B-24. It was pricey when it was in production..I'm sure if you could find one it's astronomical now. However I believe Bill Koster has a mostly vacuform set that gives you better turrets, and may include the Ford H nose as well.

Straying a bit off-topic, I really wish some aftermarket outfit would release a correct tail turret for the Hasegawa 1/72 B-24D. They made the same gaffe as Monogram, including the later fully-enclosed tail turret in all their B-24 releases.

SN

... I believe Bill Koster has a mostly vacuform set that gives you better turrets, and may include the Ford H nose as well.

SN

I had a couple of the Koster sets, I've used one on my D some years back and the other one is patiently waiting for me to start the J I've had in the stash since the late 90s! (No, not for sale before anyone asks.)

My sets were both purely clear parts, although I do believe there were other sets which included other bits. The Ford nose may well have been in one of these, and I seem to recollect that there was also a PB4Y-2 from both Koster and Meteor, but others may know more.

The Koster turrets are very clear and a definite improvement on the kit ones, however the plastic is very thin as the moulding is very deeply drawn. This made it very difficult to work, the top turret was OK but I never was happy with the job on the tail turret. I may just accept the inaccuracy and use the kit turrets for the J when I get round to it.

I knew that Koster did a set allowing you to convert the Monogram kit to a PB4Y-1 or 2, but I build 1/72 so I'm not sure if he has a set to do other variants.

Of course, the Meteor Productions resin PB4Y-2 conversion (almost an entirely new kit) has become rather infamous, not so much because of the price tag (about 200 bucks as I recall) but also for many who claimed that their prepaid orders were cancelled and they were "blacklisted" by Meteor after enquiring about the status of their orders. Again, I build 1/72 so I only heard the stories second-hand.

SN

Koster does have a kit to convert the Monogram kit to an H. It has vacuform parts for the nose itself and all the clear parts including a variety on the navigators scanning windows. The nose is added just forward of the nose wheel well so you can use it one either the D or the J. I was working on one but for some reason the astrodome doesn't match up from side to side. Don't know if it is my error or the parts. I suspect me...although the openings for the turret and the bombardiers window do line up.

Edited by 100th BG
  • 2 weeks later...

Then again, not too hard to make up a new die, and kick the product out the door. If it was all that was keeping me from having two kits to release, I would most likely produce both

Not a chance of happening with R/M these days. Hobbico's business strategy is to re-pop the old kits using existing molds. It's basically a cash cow for them. It's not part of the business plan to invest in new tooling.

RevellAG is the only 'Revell' brand name issuing new-tool kits.

Not a chance of happening with R/M these days. Hobbico's business strategy is to re-pop the old kits using existing molds. It's basically a cash cow for them. It's not part of the business plan to invest in new tooling.

RevellAG is the only 'Revell' brand name issuing new-tool kits.

About 95% agreed, but didn't Revell tool up new Parts for the 1/48 Tomcat kit about a year ago? Maybe there's some hope here.