I am just waiting to see a no-holds-barred review, so I can see how badly HobbyBoss screwed up the kit.

Larry

This is what I posted over on LSP.

When I get the full kit, I will add more.

When I had the fuselage and pit plastic to use for my prototyping, I invited Mr. Thunderjet hisself (Bruce Craig) over to fondle the plastic.

I had the parts laid out on my kitchen table. Before he even sat down he started to point out things that I didn't see.

He pointed to the upper spine of the fuselage and fin tip and said the shapes are odd....so I ask him what he meant. I had to go to the 'puter and go through my reference photos to find a side plan photo to compare the shape to the plastic. He was right. The difference is so subtle that I and everyone but him would see it.

Fin tip can be sanded to shape in two minutes...the spine is no real problem. One cannot see the difference until it is directly compared to the real thing. The kit fuselage has a very small dip under the fin, starting at the very front and back to the exhaust. It should be a smooth contour all the way back. No deal breakers so far.

He said the speed brake bay is wrong, it is a copy of the Rev/Mon kits. The internal shape is flat and should be rounded. Well, it wouldn't be seen until someone flips the model over and peeks inside. (I may do a correction for the truly AMS afflicted) I didn't have the inserts for the wheel bays, only the wings and tip tanks. So I can't comment on them.

As far as the fuselage and wings, they are good to go.....no major issues.

Now, on to the 'pit.....HAHAHAHA (sorry, I couldn't help myself).....I guess it could be called that. If one does a closed canopy and builds them for the shelf or hangs them from the ceiling, it is A-OK.

HOWEVER, if one wants it to be at least close to accurate, AM will have to come up with a replacement 'pit. If a modeler is good at scratch working 'pit details, they would have fun with this one.

The side consoles are very simplified and not at all accurate. The IP is generic, it holds the slab on the back of it that represents the rear of the two large gauge housings and the "gunsight". The kit parts for that is a square box with some details added to the top and a round object to be glued to the side of it. Close enough.....for what, I don't know.

That's all I have for now. I will be getting the full kit soon and will be able to comment further.

Until then,

Harold

This is what I posted over on LSP.

When I get the full kit, I will add more.

When I had the fuselage and pit plastic to use for my prototyping, I invited Mr. Thunderjet hisself (Bruce Craig) over to fondle the plastic.

I had the parts laid out on my kitchen table. Before he even sat down he started to point out things that I didn't see.

He pointed to the upper spine of the fuselage and fin tip and said the shapes are odd....so I ask him what he meant. I had to go to the 'puter and go through my reference photos to find a side plan photo to compare the shape to the plastic. He was right. The difference is so subtle that I and everyone but him would see it.

Fin tip can be sanded to shape in two minutes...the spine is no real problem. One cannot see the difference until it is directly compared to the real thing. The kit fuselage has a very small dip under the fin, starting at the very front and back to the exhaust. It should be a smooth contour all the way back. No deal breakers so far.

He said the speed brake bay is wrong, it is a copy of the Rev/Mon kits. The internal shape is flat and should be rounded. Well, it wouldn't be seen until someone flips the model over and peeks inside. (I may do a correction for the truly AMS afflicted) I didn't have the inserts for the wheel bays, only the wings and tip tanks. So I can't comment on them.

As far as the fuselage and wings, they are good to go.....no major issues.

Now, on to the 'pit.....HAHAHAHA (sorry, I couldn't help myself).....I guess it could be called that. If one does a closed canopy and builds them for the shelf or hangs them from the ceiling, it is A-OK.

HOWEVER, if one wants it to be at least close to accurate, AM will have to come up with a replacement 'pit. If a modeler is good at scratch working 'pit details, they would have fun with this one.

The side consoles are very simplified and not at all accurate. The IP is generic, it holds the slab on the back of it that represents the rear of the two large gauge housings and the "gunsight". The kit parts for that is a square box with some details added to the top and a round object to be glued to the side of it. Close enough.....for what, I don't know.

That's all I have for now. I will be getting the full kit soon and will be able to comment further.

Until then,

Harold

Yes Harold, work for you! I am looking forward to building this one nonetheless...after all the work on the Dutch Profile with Luuk Boerman this will be a nice build.

Tim

Amsterdam, NL

Yes Harold, work for you! I am looking forward to building this one nonetheless...after all the work on the Dutch Profile with Luuk Boerman this will be a nice build.

Tim

Amsterdam, NL

I think it will build up to a very nice plankwing. I have to say that the panel lines and "rivets" aren't all that bad either.

• 3 months later...

Mr Thunderjet Hisself here, bought one of these, promptly handed it over to Harold aka AMS Resin for him to do his thing. I generally only build 48th scale but will proly condescend to build this one ... just for the HOI. That is, when AMS Hisself hands over completed resin. Yup, proly.

As for my F-84 model photos, you can find them here.

http://birdphoto.smugmug.com/Hobbies/F-84-Models/F-84-Models/18323561_td8XDW#1410866158_w7DpVMf

Edited by Plankwing
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...