Opti-visor causing a big pain in the neck

As I'm getting older, my eyesight is getting progressively worse and so a couple of years ago I bought an Opti-visor to help me see my work better. The problem is that now when ever I put it on, I pay for it later. I have pain in my neck and shoulders for 2-3 days after using it. I have bought a pair of x350 reading glasses to help with the magnification, and I have a magnifying lamp over my bench but it's just not the same as the benefits of the Opti-visor. The weight of it seems to be the biggest problem, it has lights on either side of the visor. I quit using them and removed the batteries to lighten it up. The strain seems to be on the back of my neck more than anywhere else and I'm thinking it's because the majority of the visors weight is thrown forward of the headband. I tried attaching a counter-balancing weight to the back of the visor but that just made the pain worse.

At this point I'm willing to try anything, I've been muttlng through with the reading glasses and the magnifyer light but if I had to do any real detail work I'd be back to dealing with the pain. I need some suggestions because using the Opti-visor is an inevitability at some point. Have any of you had similar problems, I have been sore for several weeks now and it's beginning to effect my build, because I'm really not so inclined to be in pain.

At this point I'm willing to try anything, I've been muttlng through with the reading glasses and the magnifyer light but if I had to do any real detail work I'd be back to dealing with the pain. I need some suggestions because using the Opti-visor is an inevitability at some point. Have any of you had similar problems, I have been sore for several weeks now and it's beginning to effect my build, because I'm really not so inclined to be in pain.

How heavy is this visor, sir? My extremely cheap one weighs about 4 oz (110g) and I don't notice it at all. I bought the entry-level plastic version from Squires with every intention of upgrading to a much more expensive metal/glass item once proven, but the thing does the job without fuss so I haven't bothered...

How heavy is this visor, sir? My extremely cheap one weighs about 4 oz (110g) and I don't notice it at all. I bought the entry-level plastic version from Squires with every intention of upgrading to a much more expensive metal/glass item once proven, but the thing does the job without fuss so I haven't bothered...

Ditto, I've had one of the plastic ones for close to 20 years and it's lighter than some of the sunglasses I own. I would guess your posture at your desk is the prime cause and not the weight of the Opti-visor.

The visor the o/p describes with the two side-mounted LEDs is not a genuine Donnegan OptiVisor. The OptiVisor has a separate top-mounted accessory for lighting. Also, the OptiVisor has wheel-adjusted one-piece headband, as opposed to the knock-off's crude two-piece with velcro arrangement. I've used the knock-off, and it was a major headache.

You can get the GENUINE Donnegan OptiVisor in two versions; a light-weight version with plastic lens plate, and a "heavy-duty" version with glass lens plate. (You can a;sp buy separate lens plates of differing powers.)

I have both, and also use the optional "OptiLoupe" which can be attached to the front of any OptiVisor for extreme close work. I've experiemted, using the OptiVisor and OptiLoupe with and without my regular eyeglasses (basically trying out different focal lengths). I can now do close work that I never dreamed of before my eye surgeries last year.

I use the light-weight OptiVisor for reading, and the heavy-duty one for hobby work. I don't get any sort of headaches with the light-weight version (mainly I think since I don't have to slump over when reading any more). I do sometimes get tension headaches when using the heavy-duty version (tensing up in the back of my head and upper neck), but figure that may be from hunching over my workbench and concentrating on tiny parts as much as anything else.

I recommend getting the light-duty Donnegan OptiVisor with OptiLoupe. Sometimes the name brand really IS the best product! :thumbsup:

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Edited by Old Blind Dog

I haven't weighed it, but it really doesn't weigh that much. Irregardless of it's weight, the fact remains that it's only after wearing it that I have the pain. Posture is probably a contibuting factor. I usually work at my bench for several hours at a time, But, I have also tried to change the angle at which I work on a kit so my neck is not bent down all the time. I'm thinking this is like a repetative strain injury and the visor is just aggrivating it further. And yes, I am getting old, and in this case it's not just the years, it's the mileage.

Edited by Expat Tomcat

I sure hope that you get things worked out. I have never used the OptiVisor or anything like it, because I am very fortunate and blessed with good eyesight at 55yoa. One eye is 20/15 & the other is 20/20. I didn't realize it, but the minor difference makes me squint to focus when doing close up work such as reading or modelling. This results in headaches, neck pain, etc. It sounds like your pain is much worse than mine. Is it possible that some of your pain may be from eyesight issues in addition to your position when modelling? In addition to the other great suggestions, you may want to cut back on the time you spend at the bench. I'm not saying that you need to cut down on modelling time, maybe just break it up a bit more. Take small breaks more often. Also, stretching your neck & shoulder muscles before and after a session may help. If you have a better half that is sympathetic to your problem, maybe she could rub your neck and shoulders with some type of ointment. I have lower back problems, and it's amazing what a heating pad will do. The last option would be medication, such as some type of muscle relaxer. Talk to your doctor about that. In fact, you may want to talk to "Doc" about your pain issues as they relate modelling. "Doc" may come up with a simple but effective solution.

These are just some suggestions off of the top of my head. I am sure that you will come up with a viable solution, and you will keep on building as usual. It's nice to have a place like ARC where you can get ideas from other folks. This just shows what a great site that ARC is. We help each other out with issues that involve more than just the "how to" stuff, but things that we all can relate to. Best of luck to you!!!

Definitely have a chat with your doctor. You may have something bigger- and avoidable- on the horizon! Ask for exercises you can practice to strengthen your neck- pills and tricks only go so far- supporting your head properly is the way to beat this. My wife is a physical therapist- I'm drilled on this kind of thing regularly! ;)

Best of luck- and cheers-

chuk

Opti visor makes a few different models.....each has different lenses for different focal lengths. Perhaps if you were using a unit with a different focal length you would be able to adjust your posture by sitting farther back and thus alter the strain on your neck?

I would only buy an Opti visor in person so I could try the different focal lengths.

Sitting lower or having your work area elevated on a wooden crate (home made plywood box) might also adjust your posture and help with the neck strain.

I think I have solved at least part of the problem, I'm a former H.S. and college wrestler and I started doing the neck strength routine I used to do in my wrestling days. I'll do it every night for a couple of weeks and see if that helps on the long term, so far it has relieved the muscle tension in my neck enough that I don't wake up in the morning witha crick in my neck anymore. Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll be investing in one of the light weight Opti-visors so this won't be such a literal and figurative pain in the future.