Indianapolis area modelers

Is your IPMS Chapter still meeting. I am in town for three weeks until June 24.

As well, do any of your local shops stock any of the following:

1. Tamiya paint in the smaller bottles.

2. Gunze paint

3. Quickboost or Aries resin?

4. Eduard zoom sets. Eduard masks.

I brought my tools and plan on building something in my hotel room. I'd like to use the above products.

I'm not in Indy but have been to the model shows there several times...There is a Hobbytown in the Castleton area that exceeds most others - lots of kits and supplies. There is also a place on the SW side in a town called Plainfield, in an old grocery store that is my #2 store in Indy. Others will undoubtedly know more than I though...

There are 2 great shops in Dayton Ohio 90 minutes from Indy.Smitty's on Wilmington Pike & The Hobby Shop right off I-75 at 725 near the Dayton mall.I think both shops would be worth you paying a visit. RJ

Is your IPMS Chapter still meeting. I am in town for three weeks until June 24.

As well, do any of your local shops stock any of the following:

1. Tamiya paint in the smaller bottles.

2. Gunze paint

3. Quickboost or Aries resin?

4. Eduard zoom sets. Eduard masks.

I brought my tools and plan on building something in my hotel room. I'd like to use the above products.

I like the Castleton Hobby Town,they carry lots of paints and other items I can't get here where I live,Big Four is in Plainfield and has a decent amount of paints and kits.Hobby Town is thin on the resin and PE stuff as is Big Four but they do carry a small amount,I can't say what the other hobbyshops carry due to never been to them.The Indy modelers will probably chime in here before long.I think Big Boy Hobby is another shop people have told me about that I should hit.

Dang,poor timing,I would have drove up from Terre Haute to hang with you for a bit,dang heart surgery kinda gets in the way now :(

There are 2 great shops in Dayton Ohio 90 minutes from Indy.Smitty's on Wilmington Pike & The Hobby Shop right off I-75 at 725 near the Dayton mall.I think both shops would be worth you paying a visit. RJ

I think I will take those in, are they open Sundays?

I spend all my Sundays in Dayton when I am in Indy, there is a great museum there. :)

Smitties is closed on sundays,open till 6PM on Sat.THE HOBBY SHOP, by the Dayton Mall is open till five ,so keep that in mind as I know The Air Force Museum closes at 5PM and that store is about 30 min. away.

Edited by F-4Mech

I think I will take those in, are they open Sundays?

I spend all my Sundays in Dayton when I am in Indy, there is a great museum there. :)

I misspoke. The store by the mall is open till 5PM

Like CD said, check out our website. The local stores are listed under the "Links" section with addresses and whatnot. A list of meeting dates is available in the January 2011 newsletter. (this month it's on the 17th)

I think given the list of stuff you want, I'd go with Big Boy or Big Four. The HT's and HL's would have the paint, but not much in the way of resin.

I live in Speedway and work about two blocks from the Castleton Hobbytown location. HTUSA doesn't carry a lot of the Eduard stuff, they do carry the Tamiya paints though. Big Four in Plainfied is a locally owned and operated shop, they have two focuses in their store, plastic models and trains. They carrry Model Master paints and which ever line it is that caters to trains ( the name escapes me at the moment). The two HTUSA locations have the best selection of modeling supplies in Indy, not great but a respctable stock. There isn't anyplace in town where you can go that has EVERYTHING, but I don't guess unless you live with Sprue Brothers in you back yard that a place like that exists. There are a few other little shops here and there across town but there's no other place that really competes with what's already been mentioned

Like CD said, check out our website. The local stores are listed under the "Links" section with addresses and whatnot. A list of meeting dates is available in the January 2011 newsletter. (this month it's on the 17th)

I think given the list of stuff you want, I'd go with Big Boy or Big Four. The HT's and HL's would have the paint, but not much in the way of resin.

Thanks for the info, I am going to head to Big Boy and Big Four. As well, I already looked up the club info and I will be there next Friday. Is there anywhere in particular I should park downtown?

Thanks for the info, I may go Saturday. I am heading to Cincy Sunday.

If your in town Sunday your more than welcome to attend our meeting...2-5pm :P

http://www.cincyipms.com/

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=39.15738&lon=-84.391029&zoom=14&q1=4600%20Erie%20Madisonville%20OH

We meet every 2nd Sunday of the month barring holidays falling on the same day

If your in town Sunday your more than welcome to attend our meeting...2-5pm :P

http://www.cincyipms.com/

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=39.15738&lon=-84.391029&zoom=14&q1=4600%20Erie%20Madisonville%20OH

We meet every 2nd Sunday of the month barring holidays falling on the same day

That is why I am going, I am good friends with one of you members. He is taking me.

Thanks for the info, I am going to head to Big Boy and Big Four. As well, I already looked up the club info and I will be there next Friday. Is there anywhere in particular I should park downtown?

The IMA has it's own parking. The IMA is not really downtown, it's on the westside at the corner of 38th St. and Michigan Rd.

IMAmap.jpg

You can get directions in the "Contact" section of our website.

Edited by indydog

I spent about 3 weeks in Indy back in February, and was able to make it to all the hobby shops except the Hobby Town on the south side of Town. I really liked the HT on Castleton, and thought Big Four was very nice as well, but I was pretty disappointed w/ Big Boy. They had fairly decent selection, paint wise, but beyond that I wasnt impressed.

Edited by Adam Baker

I spent about 3 weeks in Indy back in February, and was able to make it to all the hobby shops except the Hobby Town on the side side of Town. I really liked the HT on Castleton, and thought Big Four was very nice as well, but I was pretty disappointed w/ Big Boy. They had fairly decent selection, paint wise, but beyond that I wasnt impressed.

I actually have visited them as well. I was here in Feb, March, April, and May. Until I looked up their locations I hadn't realized I had visited them. I don't think any of them had much in aftermarket but I was surprised a few had rare kits in stock.

I was hoping someone would list one I had missed but I guess not. I also didn't fully explain myself as to where I had been. I didn't know the names of the two "Big" stores.