1/72 Academy F-89D - In Flight

Looking through my stash I discovered I had this lil gem of a kit that had a Sharkmouth option on the kit decals. Not a lot to it, so I decided to add this one to the GB agenda.

The F-89 Scorpion gained a number of firsts in aviation history:

• First jet aircraft designed from the start to be an all-weather interceptor
  • First aircraft to carry the Falcon guided missile operationally
  • First to achieve a hit on an airborne target using a Falcon w/ armed warhead
  • First aircraft to launch air-to-air weapon with live atomic warhead
  • First jet to land on a frozen sea
  • First aircraft designed to carry an all-rocket armament

The Scorpion was designed to be able to intercept Soviet piston-engined bombers in the class of the Tupolev Tu-4 aka Boeing B-29 Superfort, which explains the large amount of rockets carried on the wingtips.

1Box.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Edited by blunce
  • 3 weeks later...

Been making some progress. New pilots have been recruited and should arrive in town here in the next few days. Those other shorties went back to their original aircraft!

019-1.jpg

020.jpg

021-1.jpg

022.jpg

Edited by blunce
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And here it is all finished up and in the air. This was only my second Academy kit I've ever done, and I don't remember having problems with the first one, but the decals on this one were HORRIBLE! No matter how many gallons of Micro Sol I put on them, the were completely unchanged. The only area this really bothered me was the sharkmouth decal because it covers such a large area. In the end, I guess it could've turned out worse though, but lesson learned, any future Academy kits will definitely be getting aftermarket decals.

Original photo:

52-2143.jpg

Final6.jpg

final3.jpg

final4.jpg

final5.jpg

Final7.jpg

Final8.jpg

Final9.jpg

Edited by blunce

Sexy

How do you get chocolate foil to stick?

EASY, provided you've got the right stuff. I've found that Lindt Dark Chocolates (the balls :rolleyes:) work the best. They are the ones that come in a darkish blue wrapper. Just eat the chocolate, peel the foil from the plastic wrapper and burnish it down with something fairly soft, no harder than a wood craft stick. I like to use some sort of cuticle tool that came in the wife's stuff. It has a semi-hard rubber...thing... on one end and a point plastic tip on the other.

EASY, provided you've got the right stuff. I've found that Lindt Dark Chocolates (the balls :rolleyes:) work the best. They are the ones that come in a darkish blue wrapper. Just eat the chocolate, peel the foil from the plastic wrapper and burnish it down with something fairly soft, no harder than a wood craft stick. I like to use some sort of cuticle tool that came in the wife's stuff. It has a semi-hard rubber...thing... on one end and a point plastic tip on the other.

So it sticks because of the chocolate residue?

Then you just clean it up?

• 7 months later...

So it sticks because of the chocolate residue?

Then you just clean it up?

No, there's a type of "glue" that holds the foil to the plastic. It's kind of a very thin paste that sticks well to, well, our plastic canopies and kit parts. Once done, you remove the foil and wipe the residue off your canopy with a q-tip or paper towel.

BTW, I got a second at this years IPMS Seattle Spring show with this build! clap2.gif