Hello all.

Well this build will be somewhat a personal one for me. The particular aircraft I'm doing is the venerable Canberra Pr9 as it appeared in 1996. This aircraft was used during a humanitarian intervention in the Eastern Congo.

45133002.jpg

45132292.jpg

I bought the Airfix kit a couple of years ago for this project.

aae07d57.jpg

Since then I've been collecting some resin goodies. The two key ones are the Pavla cockpit set, and the Resin Art wheel bays.

0ba530aa.jpg

This is my second canberra in the last little while. I finished this High Planes B6 in a suez scheme recently.

4B25.jpg

Didn't go exactly to plan so I'm hoping to incorporate some lessons and do a better job. I'm going to try to use this site as a guide.

Anyway, I already have the pit together, detailed and the halves glued together. It took a bit of cutting because the resin art front wheel bay and the Pavla cockpit wasn't designed to fit in the same slot.

ac8d1181.jpg

I got it to fit finally, and glued the halves together. I'll post a photo of that next time..

Well I've been working on detailing the kit...

I got the fuselage together and added quite a bit of fishing sinkers covered in uncured epoxy resin. I actually like having heavier models, just not too much to cause the gear to sag.

430a442b.jpg

2aef41ea.jpg

Then I filled in most of the major panel lines with Mr Surfacer 1000 particularly two along the spine that were particularly deep. You can see it at the right.

5952658a.jpg

7177659f.jpg

Yesterday removed most of the excess surfacer with a low grit sand paper and rescribed the lines. I also broke out my Riveter tool and added alot of rivet lines across the wings kinda like in tihs photo.

DSCN0861.jpg

I can't show it with my phone camera but it should be apparent when I do the panel lining. I've got to fit the wing gearbays into place.

More next time.

A little update...

So yesterday I worked on getting the main landing gear bays into the wings. I couldn't find the instructions until the day of... and I kicked myself for it. Basically the bays need major surgery to fit in... how much?

This is what the wing root normally looks like...

31e4d51d.jpg

This is what I had to do to it:

d1cafa10.jpg

Next I had to remove parts on the wings roots. Also the actual gear box had resin pour tab on the top. That took the better part of an hour and one resin saw blade to remove. You can see the before and after on each side.

f0ed9be2.jpg

Also I fixed most of the panel lines so when I get the bays in and the wings together, I should be onto painting the beast very quickly.

Edited by -Neu-
  • 2 weeks later...

Well as promised here is my next update. I got the bays mounted into the wings and then attached them to the wings. I had some extra black paint from another project so I put it on to check for invisible seam lines.

194c84b9.jpg

One of the reasons why I didn't finish this in time was because when I attached the canopy I used Tamiya thin to cover a gap and it caused a mess. I had to clean it up using a polish and future. After that and filling in some gaps I moved onto the do the preshading.

b765e079.jpg

I used Tamiya buff and medium gray for the paint.... glosscoat and started the decalling... and this is where I'm finally at.

124d0f9d.jpg

Next set should be it completed!

• 3 weeks later...

Great work! :thumbsup: It's a great stable mate to go with your other Canberra.

All of your "Operation Musketeer" aircraft came out well, too.

Edited by Pirata

Great looking model! Love the subtle finish.

I finished this High Planes B6 in a suez scheme recently.

Also: nice! Is that the Rareplanes vac Venom?

I could never understand why the British put the cockpit off to the side on their Canberras rather than centered in the fuselage.

The port seat position is the same in all UK Canberras, with both fighter style and fish bowl canopies. Moving the seat to the center was deemed to take too much redesign at the time.

HTH,

Andre

Well a little late, but its done...

3v7.jpg

It was a fun build... I might try to do the xtrakit version in the near future.

Very nice work. Thanks for posting the finished model pictures.

Darwin

Thank you for the positive responses... for awhile I thought nobody noticed it!

Great looking model! Love the subtle finish.

Also: nice! Is that the Rareplanes vac Venom?

That's a Czech Master Resin Venom... its incredibly detailed but not an easy kit by any stretch of the imagination.

That's a Czech Master Resin Venom... its incredibly detailed but not an easy kit by any stretch of the imagination.

Ah, thanks. I'll stay with my Rareplanes vac then. ;-)

Cheers,

Andre

• 3 months later...